Marvel mystery oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is decent at doing what it was intended to do. I do not think it is really needed with a modern oil. It does seem to work wounderful in the fuel system in car's,bikes and piston powered aircraft. It does seem to increase miles per gallons and it does smooth out a lot of rough idles on vechiles. If you use leaded gas it does reduce the build up on the valves. It is a mild solvent but I do not think anyone on this site has done a 3000-7500 mile OCI with MMO and then done a UOA.

Folks running Mod. A`s or T motors would not do without it. I am not kidding. Some still power planes at the EAA Fly in.
I have no idea where they buy it.

Last edited:
I like to add a touch to my 2-cycle mixes.

I also use it to lubricate pneumatic tools.

But as for adding it to my vehicle's gas tank or crank case, I'll pass.

i add it to my tank every other fill up, but heard it thins out the oil so I would not use it for extended time in the oil

A friend of mine is in his sixties - he's the definitive "Chrysler Man" - he recently bought him a midnite blue PT Cruiser. He's always used MMO. I got him to try Neutra 131 - he soon went back to MMO claiming it hangs the moon for him.

Neutra 131 can be had for about $16/gallon - good deal if you live near a distribution ctr (you can search for them on Schaeffer's web site) -

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/131.pdf

I do use some MMO in the fuel. I believe it does have benefits, even for a modern car, and I don't know of any disadvantages other than the approx. $0.60 per fill-up at the recommended dose.

It is both a lubricant and a solvent, whereas most additives are one or the other.

Red Line SI-1 is also both a top-end lube and a solvent, and is probably a much better solvent (containing, as it does, fairly large concentrations of PEA), but is much more expensive.

For injector cleaning specifically, I do not believe MMO is effective.

I've only used MMO as a fuel additive. The stuff goes back to at least the '40s.

MMO was a good tonic for older engines after the change over to unleaded fuels in '74 and helped quell some valvetrain issues in my experience.

I'll still use it in carburetor-equipped engines for improved top end lubrication, but would now lean towards FP in anything FI.

Considering the state of the art in motor oil chemistry, I really don't see much practical use for MMO as an oil additive anymore.

Originally Posted By: ghostsix
Folks running Mod. A`s or T motors would not do without it. I am not kidding. Some still power planes at the EAA Fly in.
I have no idea where they buy it.

They use it (in the fuel) because it's done a good job at keeping the plugs from lead fouling from AV gas. It's not FFA approved, but many pilots and mechanics still use it and swear by it because it works. Other products are available to do the same thing (that are FFA approved) but MMO seems to work just as well cheaper. Basically you have a twin ignition system with 2 sparkplugs, A and B. part of preflight is to switch back and forth and make sure they both work with no drop in rpm between the two. Lead fouling can make one plug bad and you really shouldn't fly (in reality guys will take of and try and blow the [censored] out once they get in the air). Better if they both spark well before hand, why MMO is popular.

just got back from a 2k mile road trip. I dosed the fuel with MMO at the prescribed dosage of 4 oz per 10 gallons. I got a steady improvement in MPG with every fillup. Dunno if it was the long miles at highway speeds or the MMO or both, but average MPG increased ~20%, 21mpg to 26 Mpg. BTW, the car is a 88 BMW 528e

In my 2007 RX-8 I use 8 oz per 12 fillup and have been averaging 25 mpg in my daily commute of 40% suburbs/60% highway. Pretty good for a car EPA-rated at 16/23 mpg! I mainly use MMO to keep the intake & exhaust ports clear of carbon and soot but I'll gladly also take a payback in improved fuel economy.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back