Quieter engine at startup
no oil burn off
increased fuel mileage
engine runs very smooth at all speeds
oil stays clean (EAO filter)
the internals are remarkably clean
the radio works better

Hi,
buster - Yes I agree but we saw it all before with Castrol Formula SLX 0w-30 now called GC! I commenced using that in 1996 and stopped about 2 years later after a lubricant related engine failure (VW 2ltr)!!!

There is no magic engine lubricant whatever the Brand and (when compared Spec to Spec) no lubricant is going to make an engine last longer than another

Yes, Doug ..you made the ultimate point with me a long time ago. There is no "magic oil" (at least not yet). How the oil endures is the real difference.

Bambam said:
I'm loving this oil so far and only have 4 quarts on hand,after my love affair with GC 2 years ago and having 200+ qts on hand,I wanna restock my SSO but won't need any for a year is it worth buying more now??? I feel the need to have the power of the mighty SSO!
[/quote

Here is the reason why we don't need a huge stash.............

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes, Doug ..you made the ultimate point with me a long time ago. There is no "magic oil" (at least not yet). How the oil endures is the real difference.
Except for Amsoil.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: harry j
To sum it up for me;
no oil burn off
increased fuel mileage
the radio works better
I also noticed that my radio works better when using Amsoil "tires seemed to last longer as well"

Those are frequently overlooked co-benefits, Steve. I hope to use this oil myself in the future. So far ..it's only in customer's cars. I'm using HDD ..and it's the same price
21.gif

Amsoil surely isn't magic. Neither is any other oil. Endurance and performance under stress will vary ..and so will the price. Is SSO the "Holy Grail"? To some it may very well be with their particular requirements.

Will it get you into the special club with the secret squirrel handshake if you've also got the Ovaltine decoder ring? Maybe.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Those are frequently overlooked co-benefits, Steve. I hope to use this oil myself in the future. So far ..it's only in customer's cars. I'm using HDD ..and it's the same price
21.gif

Amsoil surely isn't magic. Neither is any other oil. Endurance and performance under stress will vary ..and so will the price. Is SSO the "Holy Grail"? To some it may very well be with their particular requirements.

Will it get you into the special club with the secret squirrel handshake if you've also got the Ovaltine decoder ring? Maybe.

COOL,I have both,the SSO and the ring!!
happy2.gif

I've joined in the frenzy with the oil of the month crowd here,GC,PP,M1EP? and now the SSO. The others although very good oils haven't impressed me from the git-go like SSO. My wife's car in considerably quieter on start up and smoother running. It hasn't happened with any other oil wether it be synthetic,dino at 1 mile or 5,000 miles. I like what I'm hearing and feeling,a mpg increase would be great but unlikely.. If it holds up for 17,500 miles it'll be my oil forever!!

BTW.....Kudos to Amsoil for making a decently shaped 1 gallon oil container,unlike most others that are very very akward!

A lot of you are knowledgeable oil enthusiasts who prefer the latest, best oils for your cars. And the SSO may be that, but it seems (to a complete novice like myself) that Renewable Lubricant's BIO-SYN may be even better?

Are there good reasons to choose SSO over BIO-SYN for an enthusiast who wants the best in his car like an '06 Camry? Neither is API certified, but is one likely to be "safer" for your engine than the other?

As an oil novice, I'm currently using PP and am happy with it, and will never switch back to conventional oil after hearing my engine run so much quieter and smoother when I switched to Mobil 1 (before finding PP).

Last edited:
There's sensible economies for the use of any product, BW. I'm not totally up on my RLI products, but I don't think they're particularly billed on the extended drain element to their use. In my observation they've been promoted (or offered) as showing some favorable attributes in the face of certain problematic insults.

That is, I don't see them as "head to head" products. RLI tends to be expensive ..and ..while SSO certainly isn't cheap, it offers an extremely long usage interval and superb spec's.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
To sum it up for me;
no oil burn off
increased fuel mileage
the radio works better
I also noticed that my radio works better when using Amsoil "tires seemed to last longer as well"

OOPS, forgot that one Steve :)

Originally Posted By: Steve S
To sum it up for me;
no oil burn off
increased fuel mileage
the radio works better

OOPS, forgot that one Steve :)

I heard Amsoil makes windshield wiper blades not dry out in 2 months. If anything, I'd use it for this reason alone.

My results with SSO (&quest for max mpg)thus far, as posted on another forum:
Originally Posted By: yota4me2;1355900
05 Toyota Tacoma V6, AT, 4x4, access cab:

Since the weather warmed up, I've been getting 21.6--22 mpg (EPA sticker said 17--21 mpg) with alot of cold start 7 mile trips & apprx. 50/50 city highway driving, flat terrain, using Shell 87 octane (owners manual recommends 91+ octane for best performance/fuel economy), 245/75/16 Michelin LTX A/S tires. Warm up time is apprx. 5-10 seconds. I gradually accelerate to 45-50 mph til normal operating temp, then 60 mph max. I coast (simply let off the gas) as much as possibe/gradually decelerate when approaching stops/turns. Basically gradually accelerating & decelerating. I don't know what my highway mileage would be now--23-24? This is the best mpg I've gotten for this type driving (50/50 city/highway) during the 15 months I've been driving the truck. I guess my results are a combination of truck getting broken in, driving style, summer blend gas/and/or warm weather, stock size (low rolling resistance?) tires, flat terrain, synthetic oil?, topper. Going to start trying some Lube Control FP60 & Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant for mpg increase.

UPDATE: Above was as of sometime in May, 2006. Since then, I've been using Lucas UCL (1 oz per 5 gal of gas), the weather has gotten warmer, and I've limited my top speed to 55 mph. I've also replaced oil in front & rear differentials with synthetic oil. I've been getting around 22.6--23.2 mpg. The 23.2 mpg was probably closer to 65--70% highway miles. I assume my 100% highway mpg would be around 24 mpg using the 87 octane with Lucas UCL and around 25 mpg with Shell 93 octane & Lucas UCL. Might try some E3 spark plugs for more mpg.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

Maybe those would put me close to 26 mpg (or close to 25 mpg the way I'm currently driving) for 100% highway mpg with Shell 93 octane & Lucas UCL??????

UPDATE:

23.826 mpg combined city/highway--average of apprx 1/4 tank using Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) + 3 oz Auto-RX & apprx 1/2 tank using Amsoil 0W-30 (SSO)+ 3 oz Auto-RX. Amsoil lubricants throughout except power steering fluid. Using Shell 87 octane & FP60. Tires inflated to 35 psi cold.

With Shell 93 octane, I'd expect around 24.5 mpg combined---not bad for a truck with EPA rating of 18 mpg combined.

Last edited:
Yota4me, it sounds like you have a great setup, but I have to ask about combining the Auto-RX with the Amsoil ASL and SSO. Is this a good idea? I read the following at the Auto-RX.com site:

"Auto-Rx® works best with conventional (non-synthetic) motor oil. If you feel you must use a synthetic motor oil we recommend using a Group III oil to avoid competing chemistries."

Pennzoil Platinum would work well as it's an API Group III, but I think Amsoil SSO and ASL are Group IV. Do you think it would have been better to combine the Auto-RX with an oil from Amsoil's XL series, as the XL's are Group III, like Penn Plat.

Here's a link to the above quote:

http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/applications.htm

Last edited:
For Auto-RX cleaning---agreed---regular oil best followed by group III synthetic. As for maintenance dose with 100% synthetic????----I'm experimenting...

Originally Posted By: yota4me
For Auto-RX cleaning---agreed---regular oil best followed by group III synthetic. As for maintenance dose with 100% synthetic????----I'm experimenting...

Oh, well good luck. Hope the experiments go well :)

I had created another topic where I mentioned how well my Toyota pickemup truck is running since I used Amsoil engine flush, fuel system cleaner and their SSO 0w30.

My truck has been working pretty good for a 300k truck, but now it's like it has new life or something. I'm not gonna b\s you all and say it now gets 30% more mpg, because that's well....b\s, but it doesn't have a miss anymore, and while I will still need to replace the cat in order to pass smog. For whatever reason, it went bad. Besides, the cat has been in there for quite some time anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back