Tirerack...has anyone bought from them

Status
Not open for further replies.
before?

I'm worried about what mounting/balancing/stems are gonna cost me after I receive the tires.

Also, because they're 10-ply, no roadhazard warranty option was available, whereas if you buy through Discount Tire they do offer road hazard and free replacement....anyone know how one of these tires would be replaced for free should something happen.

Tires are Bridgestone Revo's LT265/75 R16; total purchase price through Tirerack was $830, but I figure I still have another $60 charge ahead of me to mount them, and I don't know how much stems would cost and also it is VERY important to rotate tires on this truck...so where should I go for an aftermarket package for rotate/balancing and warranty?

Last edited:
I've bought from tirerack a bunch of times as I am sure many here have, great site for tires. If you do have a problem with a tire and the tire tech diagnosis it, tirerack will send you a new tire, all you have to do is return the defective tire.

As for mounting costs that depends on the shop etc. I've had tires mounted for as little as $10 each, but currently I use my local merchants tire http://www.merchantstire.com/ and it costs $80 for 4 standard tires not 10ply. But for my $80 they give me free lifetime rotations, balancing, flat repair to a certain extent I get road hazard as well. I would shop installers and even price them for tires. I bought 4 tires at the same merchants for less then $400 mounted for my F150, they matched another tire shops price.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought from Tire Rack a few times. They are a reputable outfit with good pricing. Mounting & balancing, as was stated, varies by garage. Call around to pinpoint a good price.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
before?

I'm worried about what mounting/balancing/stems are gonna cost me after I receive the tires.

TR has a list of recommended installers on their site, and they show mounting/balancing/valve stem pricing. Just punch in your zipcode: http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

As for my personal experience with them, I ordered from them quite a few times. Sometimes the transaction was smooth. Other times they managed to screw up. But generally their customer service is good and they quickly take care of you.

However, if you have a Discount Tire near you, this may be a better way to go. They should be able to work with you on pricing to come very close to TR's pricing when mounting/balancing/shipping is factored in. And on top of that, DT offers road-hazard and free rotation.

I've ordered 15 tires from Tirerack so far with no problems. Discount Tire is more expensive but their price includes some extras - they have a different price structure. I mount and balance my own tires, and self-insure the warranty, so Tirerack is the logical choice for me. Discount Tire may have been a better choice for you.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Wow, that's a lot of money for tires. Did you look at alternative sizes or non-LT passenger tires? I mean...some tires at TR are under $100...

Sorry, but you can not mount non-LT/passenger tires on a Dodge diesel 4x4 3/4 ton truck, it states on the door placard LT265/75 R16 E-load range (10ply)...I have yet to ever find a tire in this size for less then $100, that got rave reviews anyways.

Believe me, I don't like the price either, but if I have to spend the money I might as well do it right.

I have yet to ever put a 4-ply tire on even a lightweight truck and be glad I had....they all wear out too soon and/or develop flats real easy with where we live.

I do thank you for the assistance greatly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
TR has a list of recommended installers on their site, and they show mounting/balancing/valve stem pricing. Just punch in your zipcode: http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

I wouldn't go by that list to closely. For my area they list Colony Tire as the only installer on their list and well I've been there.
18.gif
Not the worst I've ever been too. But I prefer merchants right across the street. I don't send people there, it is acceptable if you don't know any better or ask any questions.

ive bought 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from them, real smooth transaction. i bought the Road Hazard through my old work, and mounted them myself on a Hunter mounter and a Hunter Road Force Balancer. that being said the last set of tires i bought i just had my old work order and mount and balance for me, the cost evened out since they were on sale.

Tirerack is great for track tyres though. they will shave them for you and heat cycle them for you for $15 each per tyre.

Last edited:
I just bought 4 tires from TR back in March. Very smooth transaction. The shipping was scary fast. I ordered at 4:30 PM and the tires showed up on my doorstep at 9:00 AM the next day. I DIDN'T order special shipping, just regular UPS ground. They shipped from their warehouse in OH to eastern PA, not all that far but still...

I did use one of the recommended installers after calling a few of them and only paid $40 off the car. They weren't truck tires but most installers I have talked to say low profile performance tires can be a bear also.

I will use Tire Rack and that installer again.

I've found the price difference between TR and my local *small* town dealer to be too small to fumble with anymore. However, the two times I have ordered from them, the process was very smooth.

tirerack is good for info, and sometimes it makes sense to order from them. but my experience is that a local guy will do what he can to get your business. once, the local guy was cheaper than TR, including the M/B. remember too, many local independents are not happy w/ mounting mail-order tires, so check first. I use my regular mechanic, they don't care where the tires come from.

We have a mechanic that wouldn't care either, so that is an alternative.

I've already ordered them from TR, probably not the best way to go, but we'll see. Everyone around here wanted $200+ per tire for the Revo's

I've ordered through TireRack twice and both transactions worked well. I think it's a good idea to call the installer ahead of time just to make sure there are no misunderstandings about the mount and balance cost.

The one thing that concerns me is the hassle of shipping it back in case of a problem. Next time, I will probably just print the TireRack price and give the local shop a chance to get close.

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
The one thing that concerns me is the hassle of shipping it back in case of a problem.

I went through this on one occasion. This was on a company Sentra. TR sent 4 tires to the local installer. The tires were installed and I drove off. Later when I noticed some vibration, I looked at the tires - one of them was in a different size than the other three!
shocked2.gif
The TR did a booboo, and the installer didn't catch it. Me neither - I didn't even see the tires until they were already on the car and I got home.

Anyway, TR dispatched another tire, this time in the correct size. Then I went back to the installer where they swapped that tire out. TR arranged to have the incorrect tire picked up by the carrier directly from the installer's shop, so I didn't have to do anything. Still, it took 2-3 days to get that replacement tire shipped. Had I been dealing with a local establishment, the whole thing would have been taken care of right on the sport.

I've had over five sets from them and the process was ususally smooth and noneventful. The smaller price dif, now that they charge for mounting and balancing, makes me lean to local shops where I can get the R&B done regularly, sometimes without cost.
I do like the idea of getting "freshly" manufactured tires, however, rather than two year olds from the upper shelves! TR does have its value!

The times I've checked tire prices on TR they are within $5-10/tire of my local tire shop once the mount and balance is figured in. I'd pay that as insurance that my local shop takes care of any hassles.

The Discount Tire by my house encourages you to bring in a price quote from TireRack (or anyone) and they'll match it OTD. If you can find someone who's willing to do that, save yourself the trouble (although TireRack makes it as easy as it can be). When I ordered tires for my Mazda, I had them shipped to work and then borrowed a truck to get them home...then hauled them to Discount Tire for mounting. I could've eliminated all that by just taking my quote to DT for price matching.

On another note...all my experiences with TR have been extrememly positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back