Dry-rot pics....tell me how bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rambler, don't take criticisim personally. The responses here will tend to vary.

fwiw, I have Yokohamas from '03, no hint of rot and they are parked outside.

Ooops....me goofed.

I was playing around on the Tirerack.com website just to see if we could get approval for the bill me later set-up, well I figured it would ask more questions...it didn't and all of a sudden it flips to a page that says the order has gone through and I'll be notified when it ships....I had not even decided for sure if this was the route I wanted.

I will call them on Tuesday...otherwise I guess we're to receive 4 Bridgestone Revo tires next week to the tune of $800...not bad.

It's not the cost factor, I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted Revo's....but I have had them on another vehicle before and loved them. Price isn't the issue.

Thoes look a lot like the cracks we had on the Windstar's tires.. they made me nervous! A new set of Harmony's cured that
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
I'll have the truck in first thing Tuesday morning, probably have Nitto Duragrabbers mounted.

He he dis guyz scared you straight huh? LOL! Good decision though. Tires are the most important aspect of the car. I don't quite agree with your dietary strategies because you should always have a balanced diet to stay in good health, but it's none of my business:) Good luck anyway!

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
While we're on the subject, how many drivers here are running around with spares that are 5+yrs old, as a word of caution, this is dangerous as reported on Dateline a few weeks back. If that tire ever needs to be used, it's chances of blowing are quite high.....so please, everyone of you that has the factory spare on a vehicle built in 2003 or prior needs to go purchase a new spare asap before it's chances of being needed should occur.

Good advise. I never thought of that either. My car is 02 so I will look into that immediately. But unfortunately I'm sure most people relying on mechanics for car maintenance and don't even inflate their spares ever. So when the times comes their spares are unusable anyway. No problem they will call AAA! Besides most people won't be able to loosen up lug nuts on their wheels because shops do not torque them to a reccomended torque, but using air guns to overtighten lug nuts all the way. That's why I only do wheel maintenance on my car by myself. You just can't hardly trust anybody nowadays.

I'm not saying we ONLY eat veggies, meat...I was only saying that we only go to the store for last minute meat or veggie items if we run out before we do our bulk shopping every 3 mnths.

We try not to go to the store for just anything, is basically what I meant.

Believe me, we eat all kinds of stuff, including stuff we shouldn't...homemade chocolate cookies....hmmmm!

I'd replace them for sure. In the last two pics, it looks like tread separation is starting to take place. Don't want that to happen at 65 mph!

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Were these the original tires when the truck was new?

No, the truck came with Michelin highway tires when new, but truck would slide all over our property...just didn't have the tread type needed for dirt, mud, etc

So we bought BFG AT KO's, which were great for about 10k miles, then started having balancing issues, FAST tread wear even with rotations, correct psi, alignment, etc they were shot and slick by around 25k miles.

We then went to the Yokohama Geolander A/T II's, which have been great for wearing evenly, and traction, but again they've not only worn out super fast at barely 30k miles, but as you can see they are dry-rotted beyond belief.

My other trucks both have Yokohama's as well, one with AT II's too, and the other with ATS A/T. Both sets are showing early signs of dry-rot as well, with the AT II's on the Rodeo not too far behind these tires posted in the pics...pretty scary as they're only 4yrs old.

They'll get replaced at the end of summer, before winter probably with Revo's too, in the same size only in load range C.

My Tacoma just got these new ATS a few months back with DOT of '07, they too have tiny dry-rot marks already. When I take the diesel in to mount the new tires we ordered, I'll ask for replacements under possibly a defective issue for the brand new Yokohama's and see about upgrading to Revo's for it too. Even if I have to pay a reasonable difference.

I won't be returning or recommending Yokohama's to anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back