Why do folks seem to love Michelin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the major US, Euro, & Japanese tire companies make good tires. They also make some stinkers too. Including Michelin.

Tires have various factors that people value:

Lifetime - related to the tire compound and pattern
Steering response - related to how stiff the sidewalls are- stiffer the better
Ride - Related to how soft the sidewalls are and how round the tires are
Mechanical grip -related to the tire compound and pattern
General grip - related to tire compound
Braking distance - related to grip
Hydroplaning resistance - Primarily related to pattern, with compound a second
Snow - same as hybroplaning with different characteristics
Low rolling resistance - is a function of what level grip is needed. Generally, low rolling resistance tires are a nonsense. Less grip = less resistance for a small, very small improvement in mpg at a tradeoff of control & Safety.

When I buy all season tires - truck or car, the number one thing to me is handling. Steering response and grip. Why? Feedback to the driver. Does this mean you need tires for a Corvette. No. But also means most of the tires for the same price can perform better with limited tradeoffs in lifetime.

Any tire that lasts more than 50,000 miles likely has insufficent grip for anything but straight line interstate driving in warmer weather.

Lifetime is very important for cost reasons, but if the tires doesn't work on the road, lifetime becomes a prison sentence.

Ride I could care less about. That's what the suspension is for and a rolling sofa is not safe when you don't know what's going on beneath you.

There is no tire that works in all conditions, you have to pick and choose what works for your area and car and driving style.

As a racer, I have driven many and many types of tires. Michelins are generally appealing to those who want extremely high mileage at any tradeoff (general car tires) or very high performance (Pilot line), but cost a lot.

There have been some Michelin tires that are plain mediocre such as the LX1, MXV4, and those 80K mile tires that have been chisled out of stone, and cannot turn or stop unless it is dry and 80 degrees. There are also some great Michelin tires that are fantastic and expensive like the Pilot line.

BTW, Michelin also owns BFGoodrich and Uniroyal.

Replaced a set of Bridgestone whatever's with some Michelin Harmony's on our Windstar.

Next set of tires I buy will be a set of Harmony's again. I am amazed with these tires. Quiet, smooth, and compared to what they replaced - awesome in the snow. Worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
I never rode on a Michelin that I didn't like.

All depends on the tire and the application. I got my folks a set of Pilot Exalto A/S tires for their Camry, and it's a fine tire for the application. Made in Canada if that means anything. My '95 Integra GS-R came with OEM Pilot XGTV-4 all-season tires. Not so great tires. Poor treadlife and handling was subpar. They squealed like a pig taking a corner moderately hard. Made in the US (South Carolina) and shipped to Japan for final assembly. I could quite figure this out, but I guess they wanted 5% US parts from the tires and wheels.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
My '95 Integra GS-R came with OEM Pilot XGTV-4 all-season tires. Not so great tires.

And '95 was HOW many years ago? Most everything today is better than it was 13 years ago... Better rubber compounds, better designs, everything...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My '95 Integra GS-R came with OEM Pilot XGTV-4 all-season tires. Not so great tires.

And '95 was HOW many years ago? Most everything today is better than it was 13 years ago... Better rubber compounds, better designs, everything...

True, but I have to echo his point. Michelin has provided some really [censored] tires at times (often OEM tires or those 80k tires)and excellent ones as well.

A good example of a mediocre tire for the same or less price is the Bridgestone RE92 (OEM) vs. their RE950 (aftermarket). The RE950s are better in virtually every respect: performance, response, lifetime. and they are cheaper. A lot cheaper.

Michelin (and most tire companies do this) - sell an average tire to get those who can't tell (most people - unless you get to try them out first!) to buy the same tires as OEM at a marked up price.

Originally Posted By: ffracer

True, but I have to echo his point. Michelin has provided some really [censored] tires at times (often OEM tires or those 80k tires)and excellent ones as well.

A good example of a mediocre tire for the same or less price is the Bridgestone RE92 (OEM) vs. their RE950 (aftermarket). The RE950s are better in virtually every respect: performance, response, lifetime. and they are cheaper. A lot cheaper.

Michelin (and most tire companies do this) - sell an average tire to get those who can't tell (most people - unless you get to try them out first!) to buy the same tires as OEM at a marked up price.

Well, back to an earlier point - my contention was that the OEM Michelin tires I tried were horrible compared to comparable tires on the market at the same time. It wasn't just that they were substandard compared to modern tires, but they were substandard compared to other tires of about the same vintage.

And I got rid of my RE92 tires as soon as I could. I'm on a set of RE960AS right now. I know there's a certain amount of compromise with the all-seasons, but they seem to be one of the best A/S tires for light snow and ice performance right now.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
mrsilv04 said:

I'd say the one thing about Michelin as a brand name is that they have pretty much no budget-priced tires in their lineup, like with Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear, etc. I know they own BF Goodrich, but their tires seem to be geared to different markets. Many budget-priced tires are extremely good even compared to many higher priced tires.

First of all, you have me quoted with something that I didn't write. Please be careful with that.

Second, Michelin also owns Uniroyal.

Why would Michelin want to add a "budget" tire into their lineup, when they can sell budget tires all day long through the BFG and Uniroyal lines?

Here's some food for fodder....my step-dad was a top executive with Goodyear from the 70's-90's and is retired. I was in the market for new tires and even he told me to get Michelins. He said that they had a R&D division that all they did was try see exactly how Michelin's made their tires. They would go out and buy a bunch of sets and test them, but never could understand exactly how Michelin made their tires and what compounds they used. It's been a trade secret for years and still is.

First of all, you have me quoted with something that I didn't write. Please be careful with that.

Second, Michelin also owns Uniroyal.

Why would Michelin want to add a "budget" tire into their lineup, when they can sell budget tires all day long through the BFG and Uniroyal lines?

Sorry - that was a quick cut out of one paragraph from a bunch of nested quotes. It's too late to modify, but I think most would assume that I was quoting ffracer and not you - especially since the original comments are still there. The attribution in the message board formatting says "Originally Posted By: ffracer", which was my intention.

In any case, I was just pointing out that Michelin doesn't have any wide price ranges within this one brand. Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, and even BFGoodrich do. And in my experience some of the higher priced OEM tires from Michelin have their shortcomings. Of course Bridgestone seems to have reduced Firestone to a once-proud brand name after the Wilderness tire fiasco.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Replaced a set of Bridgestone whatever's with some Michelin Harmony's on our Windstar.

Next set of tires I buy will be a set of Harmony's again. I am amazed with these tires. Quiet, smooth, and compared to what they replaced - awesome in the snow. Worth every penny.

+1 on the Harmony's. Excellent in the snow, considering it's an all season, and they were Michelin's top rated rain tire before the Hydroedge came out. Quiet and excellent wear as well. I had them on a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Since owning the Caravan, I've switched to a dedicated winter tire though. My current ride (2001 Outback) has Firestone Wilderness (not the model famous for blowing out on Explorers), which will be replaced with a summer tire when they wear out. Winter tire is Bridgestone Revo1.

The Michelin X-Ice is highly rated as a winter tire.

Just put some Michelins on my Tundra . They replaced some Coopers that still had some tread left but would hydroplane very easily . I had a buttload of overtime so I spent the money on some good tires . They seem to be doing well .

I realy should run Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my BMW but I just can't afford them. Yokohama AVS Decibel dB V550 are a very good substitute with great grip and really quiet. I can but dream...s

We've replaced the junk Dunlop SP4000s on our Sienna with Costco-special X Radials, the ride and handling has improved. I'm running Pilot Exalto A/S on my car, 2 years amd they have 50% tread life.

Highest overall quality and highest price. Other than for our "beater" 850 wagon, all we now buy are Michelins. Just adore the Pilot Sport A/S on the R. Wonderful tire.

I can understand how some folks will shy away from them. They are dang expensive and the performance is not necessarily always better than some others. But we've never had a bad one, which I can't say for B-Stone, GY and a few others over the years.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'm running Pilot Exalto A/S on my car, 2 years amd they have 50% tread life.

Is that good or bad?

I went with cheap Falken 512's & they were awesome until the 1/2 life. Then the performance drop off was immense. Noise & wear were horrible.

Makes me a believer of higher priced & well reviewed tier 1 brands like Michelin.

Good. I'd had a set of ContiExtremeContacts, but the last straw was when I almost spun out on a busy intersection and I got barely 1.5 years from them.

I want to try the Primacy MXV4s next, I'm waiting for these to get somewhat worn out and Costco having a another Michelin promo. Costco is the ONLY place to get Michelins IMO...

Last edited:
I use michelins x1 the fabled 80 k tire.
my 2 dineros:
yes the do last 80 k miles.
no they are Not chiseled out of stone.
noise increases after half tread wears out.
snow grip ok will the last 1/4 tread. I deflated tires for more grip in winter.
tires are still soft after 75k miles

The Michelin MXV4's that were oem on my 02 Accord rode rougher than I liked. They were done at 45k. Replaced them with Gyear Comfort treads which are much quieter and ride much more smoothly. But.....I get 1 mpg less. Usually the oem tires get better mileage and that's what you should run for the best mpg. .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back