VOA: Toyota Type WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the formatting, but the code tags don't really work well anymore.

Oil Brand: Toyota ATF
Oil Series: Type WS
Lab: Wearcheck Canada
Sample Date: 8 JUNE 2007
Analysis Date: 14 JUNE 2007

Code:

Antimony Sb NR

Cadmium Cd NR

Vanadium V 0.0

Aluminum Al 0.3

Chromium Cr 0.0

Iron Fe 0.2

Copper Cu 0.0

Lead Pb 0.0

Tin Sn 0.0

Molybdenum Mo 0.0

Nickel 0.0

Manganese Mn 0.0

Silver Ag 0.0

Titanium Ti 0.0

Potassium K 1.6

Boron B 75

Silicon Si 3.5

Sodium Na 3.8

Calcium Ca 118

Magnesium Mg 1.5

Phosporus P 282

Zinc Zn 4.9

Sulfur 606

Barium Ba 7.2

cSt @ 40 C 25.0

cSt @ 100 C 6.0

Viscosity Index 201

Water
Appearance Normal

Odor Normal

benjamming: The 4.9 for zinc is not a typo. Maybe it's a typo on the lab's behalf? I'm tempted to send another new sample to CAT-Toromont, the other "local" lab.

In comparison with the other VOA's for ATF, what is this Type WS using for an additive package? It appears that there isn't a great deal of anything...

A lot of the additive pack that is contained in an ATF does not show up in a $30 VOA.

BTW, thanks for the comments guys
smile.gif
I just read the VOA of the SPIII and saw it looked similar with the low element counts. The Honda Z1 on the other hand looks loaded.

EDIT: $30 VOA? $13 CAD kit from Wearcheck/Petro-Canada
blush.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

A lot of the additive pack that is contained in an ATF does not show up in a $30 VOA.

I agree, but it still looks weak.

Quote:

cSt @ 100 C 6.0Viscosity Index 201

This is what has me worried. A VI so high with a Grp II/III oil usually = lots of VII = shear. Since it starts @ 6.0 cSt, how low will it go? And this is supposed to be "lifetime" ATF?
crazy.gif

Quote:

And this is supposed to be "lifetime" ATF?
crazy.gif

Never said it was a lifetime ATF. There's just no scheduled interval for the ATF under most service conditions (60k during towing, however); you are advised to inspect the fluid condition every 15k miles and replace it at the first sign of discoloration, smell, or sediment.

So what if it shears? Dino oil shears and protects just fine. The engineers that designed this fluid in the first place have already taken into account any shearing that will occur. If they felt that the low viscosity would be come a problem, they would've formulated a higher viscosity fluid.

ATF shearing is an issue. But, the newer thin ATF shears a lot slower then thicker fluids. Hopefully, this is a high Group III ATF so it won't be an issue, even with the high measured VI.
At $40 a gallon, one would hope that there might be a measurable amount of groupIV/V in the mix. If so, a 200 VI is expected.

Additive package is similar to T-IV with just a tad more Boron. Zincless ATF is common to Asian automakers excluding hondacura(Ph-less ATF). Yep, ATF additive packages are nothing to look at. What'd ya expect from simple hydraulic fluid?

If you have sediment, I would think that ATF maintenance is already too late. Whatever happened to not judging ATF by smell or color? Automakers just crack me up. Lifetime fill? 15k inspection? 60 severe service?.....why not order a UOA every couple years or 20k?

Compare this to $24/gallon 6cst DexronVI, which typically has a viscosity index of 150 and 30cst visc at 40c, makes you hope that WS is better.

Now all we need are MSDS and blender spec sheets.

The KV100C is a bit high, normally this fluid is about 5.4/5.5 cSt. There shouldn't be any Ba or Zn (at least from the analysis that I have). All the rest aligns fairly well with my results.
Oh, and someone remarked about Zn. Well most people stopped using that in ATFs at least 15 to 20 years ago.
The additive type and supplier can be identified from the analysis.

The Honda Z1 is a totally different chemistry and from a different company. That's partly what makes ATFs so complicated. They are not all the same and they are certainly a long way from just being hydraulic fluids!

What is Zn used for? I Honda fluid uses it due to the clutch pack material. Is it essential or just to make the car shift smoother?

At one time it was a popular anti-wear agent in ATFs but it fell out of use mainly because many of the Zn containing components that were used seemed to have a propensity to plug the pores in friction materials. There was none in the WS samples that I have looked at but there is quite a slug of it in the Honda fluid, which is quite unusual these days.

Quote:
What is Zn used for?

Zinc compounds are one of the anti-oxidant additives.

ZDDP is no longer used in ATF's as an AW or AO.

The main anti-wear compounds are the S-P components with Boron as a secondary AW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Is the sulpher not an EP agent? Or is it more an AW in this PPM?

Actually in modern ATFs most of the sulpher usually comes from the seal swell agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back