Questions about the new mobil super 1000..blah bla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, this new mobil 1000 looks promising considering its at 11$ for 5 litres right now.

I've been thinking about going to mobil 1 for my RSX base, but was worried about M-1's natural tendency to be on the thin side, and at 5w20 makes me a bit uneasy. Should I be concerned? Do you think it would be worth just going to the conventional stuff, for daily driving and maybe one track day a year at most and religeuos changes?

I was thinking though, that the car sees -25-20 at most in the winter, that might be enough to sway me to synthetic.

Any thoughts?

Not familiar of this oil, but I've done one OCI with Mobil 1 5W-20. During that OCI and with it's HT/HS rating, I was quite uneasy with it in my crankcase.

My current fill viscosity is perfect for my application.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1000?

Mobil needs more "flavors of the month"
grin2.gif

Quote:
Product Description
Engineered in Canada for the latest engine technology, Mobil Super 1000 is the ideal product for newer vehicles or older vehicles
in good condition, delivering our best all-round performance. Mobil Super 1000 is formulated to fight engine deposits and wear, and
to deliver fuel economy. Recommended for newer vehicles under OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) warranty.
Mobil Super 1000 is formulated from high quality base stocks combined with modern performance additives, including an advanced
detergent system to provide excellent engine cleanliness.
These oils protect against sludge and engine rust and corrosion under severe and low-temperature operating conditions. Pour
depressants and a viscosity index (VI) improver are included, where required, to provide the optimum viscosity and fluidity across a
broad range of temperatures.
Mobil Super 1000 is available in three multi-viscosity grades: SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30.
Mobil Super 1000 5W-20 meets the latest requirements of Ford and Honda. It meets Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A.
Mobil Super 1000 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 contain friction-reducing additives. The American Petroleum Institute (API) classifies
these viscosity grades as "Energy Conserving" engine lubricants, and meet ILSAC GF-4. All three viscosity grades meet API SM
and are backward compatible with earlier performance levels such as API SL,SH and SG.
Features and Benefits
• Exceeds ILSAC GF-4 and API SM, the most stringent North American standards ever set for gasoline engine oils
• Protects your engine from harmful deposits
• Formulated with highly effective antiwear additives
• Satisfies the latest oil requirements of gasoline engine manufacturers (5W-20 recommended for certain Ford and
Honda's)
• Helps makes your engine fuel-efficient
• Helps protect your exhaust catalyst
• Engineered and made in Canada.

Mobil 1000 PDF info.

Take care, bill

At $11.89 for five litres it is priced right but at regular price of $16.99, I would not buy it. Look at the spec sheets. Lots of people here say it has a "stronger additive package" but it's the exact same stuff as Esso Extra as far as I can tell in a much prettier jug. If it had more additive it would likely have a different pour point and cold crank viscosities due to the additive carrier oil, and I would think more wax inhibitors to reduce the pour point.

The Super 2000 is a different synthetic blend type oil that I would say could be priced right but I don't think I would buy Super 1000 for more than $12 a jug.

For $17, I have my choice of five litres of any main line (PZ, QS, Valvoline, GTX, Havoline) conventional so I won't pay more for a nothing special oil.

ryan2022, you are asking an interesting question.

what i take from the way you stated your question, is that you are thinking of going synthetic for your RSX. for some reason, you seem to be partial towards mobil products. you say you want to try mobil 1, but are weary about it being too thin in a 5W-20. then you say you might just go with the super 1000.

just to be clear, super 1000 is not some sort of conventional version of mobil 1. it is simply another conventional oil. and as far as i'm concerned, all major brand conventional oils are more or less the same. buy what ever is a good deal. i grabbed 2 jugs of super 1000 for my BMW for an AutoRx cycle.

but the real question here is... do you need or want to go with synthetic oil? seeing as you live in peterborough, synthetic may be good to use in winter. not really necessary... but probably beneficial on those cold mornings. so, if you do indeed decide to go with a synthetic oil, it doesn't have to be mobil 1. there are other great synthetics out there. i guess you could research which company has a good 5W-20 syn and just go with that. otherwise, stick to any major brand conventional 5W-20 and you should be just fine.

:)

Walmart always has good prices on the 5L Mobil 1 jugs. Take a bomb up there and check it out. I was up there a few weeks ago and noticed they had the M1 5w40 diesel truck oil, which I hadn't noticed before.

If you are looking for good filters, Benson Auto Parts on Rye street has the Purolator PureONE filters, and they stock WIX as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back