Novice Here Seeking Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

=

I recently came across this forum, ...I am enjoying the many, many topics and discussions.

This topic has probably been discussed and hashed and hashed before, but if I may beg your indulgences once again. Here's what I am thinking of doing:

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, 4.7L, V-8 Magnum, auto. tranny w/ 106K+ miles on it. I have always used a quality, non-synthetic oil since I purchased the truck. I regularly change the oil and filter around 3,500 - 4,500 mile mark. I add a full quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to every oil change. The truck holds 6 quarts, I put 5 qts. of oil and 1 qt. of MM oil in. The theory / advertising is that the MM oil will help to prevent deposits throughout the oil distibution system, which in turn will reduce friction, wear, temps., blah, blah, blah. I also add the MM oil to the fuel tank when filling up ( 4 ounces per 10 gals. ) reduces the deposits on the fuel injectors, helps keep the entire fuel system clean, blah, blah, blah.

With gas prices being what and where they are, I am trying to improve my gas mileage by going to a synthetic oil. I still plan to change the oil and filter around the 4,000 mile mark.

QUESTION # 1: If I go ahead and switch to the synthetic oil, do I still need to add the MM oil to the synthetic oil for the purposes listed above?

QUESTION # 2: Do any of you use the MM oil in either type of application?

Thanks for your input, opinions and conjecture. All comments are welcome! :)

=

Marvel Mystery Oil is a substance called Stoddard Solvent. It's used in a lot of cheaper fuel injector cleaners and there is no harm in running it through your fuel, but running it in your oil greatly thins out the oil and boils off as you drive. I am sure the engine is clean but the MMO is detrimental to the protection the oil in your engine can offer.

Any modern 5W-30 conventional is good for 4,000-5,000 mile changes, and an oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum can offer you good protection and cleanliness as well as the potential to go longer between oil drains. I would think about trying something like Mobil 1 0W-30 or 5W-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, both are readily available, and if you don't drive in too dusty of conditions changing it at 5,000 miles.

What MG said above re the oil. I'd keep using MMO in the gas - it 'might' be giving you a slight mileage boost (some here who use lube in their gas say it improves mileage).

=

Much thanks for your input!

In addition to trying to improve the gas mileage from the engine oil standpoint, I also plan to install a "Cooler Air Intake" kit as well, ...one of those K&N CAI thingy's. :)

Another question if a may: There seems to be a lot of preferences, as well as differences, on here on the brands of oil and their actual benefits. API ratings and other scietific data notwithstanding! :-O

If you were going to try a synthetic oil for the first time, which one would you try and why: (a.) Mobil 1, (b.) Pennzoil Platinum, (c.) Castrol Syntech, (d.) Valvoline, (e.) Royal Purple, (f.) Redline, (g.) Amsoil, or (h.) the Wolly Wurld variety of ??? Tech ?

Yes, yes, I know, ...everybody has their own brands that they will swear by. I'm just trying to get input from an unscientific viewpoint on what a novice like me would use to get an increase in MPG's. At least, I'm hoping to get an increase in MPG's, ...cool the engine and provide some superior protection for a long engine life as well. A friend of mine said that he has used synthetics in all of his vehicles for a number of years. He swears by Mobil 1. His brother uses the Royal Purple, and naturally, he swears by that brand.

BTW, this Dodge pickup drinks gas like a politician accepts campaign contributions. OUCH!

Again, thanks for your input!

=

Pennzoil gets rave reviews here; and Mobil-1 is very good also.
Both are widely available.
Royal Purple and Redline are hard to find and cost more;
especially so for Amsoil.
The point of synthetic is often about extending oil changes to 7500 miles.
Do you have room for an oversize oil filter??

Keep your tires on the high end of the recommendation; lighten the load as much as possible.

That truck has the aerodynamics of a brick, so you driving habits is the main thing left to improve your mileage.

Synthetic won't reduce fuel consumption much, maybe 2% tops.

I would recommend against a K&N filter, they do flow better but they allow contaminants past in greater quantity, and things like sand blowing by increases your engine wear not to mention the potential of the oil in the filter fouling sensors. AFE makes intake systems as well as filters, and Amsoil makes high quality synthetic-media filters that do not have the oil and both filter and flow better than normal filters.

Right now dollar for dollar, and ease of purchase wise, I would try Pennzoil Platinum. It has proven itself to be a consistently good oil and it is under $4 a quart at Wal-Mart which makes it a very good deal.

For your truck I would consider an Amsoil EaA air filter, and trying Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a Wix filter.

As well, to reduce fuel use, I would consider raising your tire pressures somewhat (read the sidewall rather than the door post), and you would likely gain better fuel economy from possibly trying a synthetic differential lube. The thing with saving fuel is look for places that don't cost you anything to save fuel (driving habits, consolidating trips, not carrying extra stuff, etc.) then move on to making mechanical changes. Oil and air filter, tire pressures, etc. are all things that are free or part of regular maitenence so just make the changes as needed.

Forget the K & N and just change your oem air filter from time to time. Forget the MM,it's a hoax. PP seems to do well. .02.

I usually see 50 miles extra, per filled tank, using synthetic oil, over conventional oil.
this is usually seen in vehicles that were properly maintained before switching over to synthetic oil.
I work with a guy that has the same truck and he noticed the same results i just spoke of, on a recent trip.
I have used the MM in the past and it helped but that is no more for me.
oil additives are asking for trouble.
one oil change a year is much better than multiple oil experiments, that cost more cash at the end of the year.
K&N filters work great out on the water in a boat.
but they dont stop dirt from entering your engine.
you usually find high silicone samples during a UOA.

Those 4.7's are very hard on engine oil.

If it was mine....

I would just use a good top tier gas such as Chevron or Shell. Use a quality oil such as Amsoil 10-30 HD Diesel Oil and oil and air-filter. Change oil and filter every 10K.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

If it was mine....

I would just use a good top tier gas such as Chevron or Shell. Use a quality oil such as Amsoil 10-30 HD Diesel Oil and oil and air-filter. Change oil and filter every 10K.

Why are the 4.7's so hard on oil? From what I know of the engine it's a typical SFI V8...just the particular engine, or something else?

Amsoil great if price is not an issue.

Pennzoil Platinum is good.

2 other good choices would be Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 High Mileage. You can get jugs of these oils at a reasonable price at Walmart.

For reasonable but very good filters try Napa Gold's or Carquest blue's.

No other additives needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

If it was mine....

Why are the 4.7's so hard on oil? From what I know of the engine it's a typical SFI V8...just the particular engine, or something else?

D-Roc, a good friend of mine purchased a truck with the 4.7 liter engine. He has been running Amsoil 5-30 over the road (about 50K a year). He does UOA's about 11K on the oil. Uses the Eao and can't slip past 12K. Most all the numbers...TBN, Oxid, and Nitrates are right up against the change out the oil numbers. The engine is sound, he does not even add any oil between oil changes. My deduction is the engine just is hard on oil. He is over 115K now on the 2006 and is happy with the 12K oil changes...The little engine runs fine and he has not had any issues.

=

Wow! That is some great input from all of you! I forgot to add Schaefers oil to the mix, but it sounds like PP is the numero uno, followed by the Mobil 1. A good filter would be next also.

I do not have any extra room for a larger size oil filter.

I know this truck is a true Gas Hog, but I love it and it has been very, very reliable for the last 6+ years I've owned it.

Recently, I installed larger sized wheels and tires. I went from 17's to 20's. The place that installed them also filled the tires with nitrogen. What is the skinny on having nitrogen in the tires vs. good `ol regular air? Is nitrogen really beneficial or is it a marketing tactic?

Again, Much Thanks to you all for your input. Keep it coming!
grin2.gif

=

Originally Posted By: otter

=

Wow! That is some great input from all of you! I forgot to add Schaefers oil to the mix, but it sounds like PP is the numero uno, followed by the Mobil 1. A good filter would be next also.

I do not have any extra room for a larger size oil filter.

I know this truck is a true Gas Hog, but I love it and it has been very, very reliable for the last 6+ years I've owned it.

Recently, I installed larger sized wheels and tires. I went from 17's to 20's. The place that installed them also filled the tires with nitrogen. What is the skinny on having nitrogen in the tires vs. good `ol regular air? Is nitrogen really beneficial or is it a marketing tactic?

Again, Much Thanks to you all for your input. Keep it coming!
grin2.gif

=

In addition to PP, Chevron Supreme (Dino or Synthetic) produces some nice results as well- I've been on a few other forums where members posted uoa's and they were lower wear than others....

I recall some time ago Pennzoil Platinum was Group V, don't know what its makeup is now.

Nitrogen is slightly more temperature stable but the real advantage is the reduced moisture content so your tire pressures do not fluctuate as much.

Ok you wanna know about Schaeffers, well it is a great oil if you can get it. It can be ordered, but not as convenient or as reasonably priced unless making a larger order to get the free shipping. See if you can find it locally. It is really a great option and can save you some fuel. Their advertisement as a 7000 mile oil is conservative. I've seen that oil go much longer safely.
How bout Mobil 1 0W-30? It is touted as a fuel saving oil. If you run a synthetic out to 7500-10,000 miles, the additional cost of the synthetic can work out in your favor, especially if you find one of those buy 1 get 1 free deals at Advance Auto. At those prices, I don't discriminate much on brand, and just go ahead and stock up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back