UOA, Mobil 1 0w-30, Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, wanted to share my first UOA with you and maybe see what you have to say about its interpretation. Thanks!

Keep in mind that I replaced the filter at the beginning of this UOA, and my sample was taken closer to the end of the drain, because I'm kinda retarded and pulled the drain plug before I was ready to harvest the sample... but wear levels are still a bit startling...not sure what that's about, but we will see what the 0w-40 I'm now running does.

MAKE/MODEL: Subaru Impreza WRX
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline
ADDITIONAL INFO:
OIL TYPE & GRADE:0w-30 Mobil 1
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3446

"Both wear and silicon were above average in your first oil sample. Most engines have matured by 20,000 miles but that may not be the case for your 2.5L. If we don't see a marked improvement in both wear and silicon next time we may suggest having a look at your air filter. Or you may want to look at it now. It would be odd for it to be dirty in such a new engine but it's possible. The trace of fuel isn't a problem and no other harmful contaminants were found. The TBN read 3.6 showing some active additive left. Universal averages are based on 4400 miles."

Substance/PPM/Universal Averages

ALUMINUM/3/3
CHROMIUM/1/1
IRON/14/7
COPPER/36/5 (Crickey!)
LEAD/5/4
TIN/0/0
MOLYBDENUM/96/70 (Would be interesting to see what this looks like at 4400mi).
NICKEL/1/0
Manganese/1/4
SILVER/0/0
TITANIUM/0/0
POTASSIUM/1/1
BORON/46/44
SILICON/19/12
SODIUM/5/9
CALCIUM/2328/2219
MAGNESIUM/12/115 (Not sure what this means...).
PHOSPHORUS/643/704 (Low phosphorus additive content?).
ZINC/797/839 (Low zinc package too...).
BARIUM/0/0

Value/Value should be:

SUS Visc @210 57.1/55-60 (Thick enough it seems).
cSt @ 100C 9.40/8.8-10.5 (Still looking ok).
Flashpoint in F 360/>360 (Oh dear...).
Fuel % "TR"/ Antifreeze 0%
Water 0%
Insolubles 0.3%/ TBN 3.6

On the whole not a great report...I may try this once more and make sure I don't FUBAR the sample, but then again I might not risk it... We'll see what a nominally thicker oil does.

The flashpoint in particular bothers me...not sure how it could have good kinematic viscosity but still have a low flash point like that. Perhaps my high wear was due to this fact.

[rubs eyes because I think I'm seeing double]

Oh, I just commented on this at nasioc.
grin2.gif
BTW, there's a UOA forum.
19.gif

Interesting how Blackstone's "should be" viscosity starts in the 20 grade range. What filtration are you running (air and oil)?
What were the driving conditions?

The copper could be from the oil cooler. Moly is an anti-wear additive/friction modifier.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Vis dropped a bit. Not surprising for a modern 0w30. Fe is 50% higher than B/S Univ. avg. Looks like typical M1.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
[rubs eyes because I think I'm seeing double]

Oh, I just commented on this at nasioc.
grin2.gif
BTW, there's a UOA forum.
19.gif

Interesting how Blackstone's "should be" viscosity starts in the 20 grade range. What filtration are you running (air and oil)?
What were the driving conditions?

The copper could be from the oil cooler. Moly is an anti-wear additive/friction modifier.

-Dennis

Oops, I forgot we had a UOA forum here...Admin feel free to boot this down there anytime.

I'm using OEM Subaru oil and air filters.

Well since you sampleing came late as in well past the middle of the oil drain it would easily be that alone. Generaly you clean the area very well with some solvent of WD40 and a paper towel and wipe dry. Then you break the drain plug loose. You pull the drain plug and as it is running out you get your dample bottle witht he top already off in hand. After the oil has flowed a few seconds you stick your bottle intot he flow and catch about 120cc's of fluid. THen you are good to go! You do not want the first stuff or the last stuff but what is inbetween. Make sure you do it the same way though so that you get consistent readings.

To be honest I am not sure what to say about the report. While I would never recomend a 0WX oil for a boxer engine I would not expect it to be this bad! I will be pleasantly suprised if the M1 0W40 does very well in this engine. It is M1 0W40 correct? In this engine I would go with their HM 10W40. I would also look closely at Amsoils S3K 5W30 HDDEO product for this especialy as winter approach's! I think the Amsoil S3K is going to be a better match then what you are useing right now.If price and availablitiy are concerns try M1 10W30 High Milage it is usualy available at Walmarts for a decent price and again should be a better fit.

Originally Posted By: Ringe
COPPER/36/5 (Crickey!)

Hate to nitpick but it's actually "Crikey".

I love spreading Aussie slang to Americans!

crikey! - an expression of astonishment

Last edited:
Try and fix the dirt ingestion, resample and take it from there. Never go off of just one sample from one brand. If wear doesn't drop, switch to Amsoil 0w-30 or PP.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I would also look closely at Amsoils S3K 5W30 HDDEO product for this especialy as winter approach's! I think the Amsoil S3K is going to be a better match then what you are useing right now.

Do you think the S3K's add pack would be too much for his application, especially if he's still running cats?

Ringe - Any mods?

-Dennis

S3k is a bad recommendation. It's a good oil for diesels but I see no reason at all to use it over other options available.

I wouldn't even be looking at other oils yet based on one sample. IMO.

Yeah there is fuel dilution and likely dirt ingestion (fix the latter if possible!). I couldn't find other WRX 2.5L UOAs to see what's normal for copper at this engine's mileage. Is it a copper spewer in it's early life? The viscosity is not as low as I would have guessed with it being an Energy Conserving 0W-30 with fuel dilution. The virgin viscosity is 11.0 cst. The virgin TBN is only 8.5.

SAE Grade 0W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 63.1
cSt @ 100ºC 11.0
Phosphorous 0.08
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 2.99
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 228
Total Base Number (TBN) 8.5

My copper numbers have been:
7 6 8 7 10 6 20

Second was Motul 8100 5W30 and the last column was M1 5W30. All others were GC. All on 6-7,900 mile oci's and daily five mile trips.

-Dennis

Thanks bluesubie. So then it seems the OP's copper is unusually high, don't you think? Too much fuel, too much dirt, and a lower viscosity than ideal is what I think of this UOA. The last two are easy to change. The fuel is a tougher one.

My 2002 Subaru RS air filter box did not seal perfectly so maybe this is going on here? I guess it's worth trying some kind of sealant around the edges of the filter.

I had the dealer check my airbox because I didn't think mine was sealing properly either.
My Si = 14 14 13 15 15 18

The first was on an Amsoil foam filter that I've had since 1998 and the others were on the OEM.

The dealer said the airbox was fine. Hard to tell in this case since the OP took the sample at the end.

I seem to recall someone on nasioc finding a leak after removing the airbox from the car. My dealer visually inspected mine, as well as covering the exhaust to listen for any audible leaks (???).

Running an Amsoil Ea now so I'll see how that goes. Off-roading probably doesn't help
19.gif
05.gif

-Dennis

I see. Putting a thin film of oil on the clean side of the airbox will cause dirt to stick to it so it's a good way to find out if there is dirt getting past the filter.

Are we all reading the same report?
54.gif
55.gif
Unless he is the only one in the B-S database for this engine and was the only one submitting all the samples, he's not far off track for the majority of his readings in the composite mass sample (UA)

Copper is his ONLY element of distinction (allowing for some standard deviation drift). If silicone was from the filter side of the air intake equation, then the air horn Al and Chrome from the valves would be escalated too. If it wasn't from the filter side (PCV plumbing, etc.), you would expect ALL elements to be elevated EXCEPT Chrome and (probably) Al.

Anyone disagree with that last paragraph? He's dead on with those numbers in UA.

Clean up the fuel and see what other stuff comes into line.

I was going to say the oil cooler too, but look at the universal averages. That's why the UOA forum is basicly read-only for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back