Shell Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be many people who use Shell Rotella T 15w40 oil in many different applications ranging from lawnmowers, motorcycles, to daily drivers. It seems to be a fine oil, but on another forum a user posted, "Rotella is a very good oil for any 4-stroke gasoline engine." Is that true? Even when my daily driver (Ford Escape V6) calls for 5w20? What would be the pros/cons of switching to Shell Rotella T 15w40?

Rotella will do well in both gas and diesel engines...There are many people using it as a "fleet" oil...I use HDEO's in everything from tractors to race cars! UOA's come back looking just fine. On the other hand, your Ford will do just fine on the spec oil....and it is probably a better grade to use in the Cleveland winters.

Eventhough I'm a fan of Rotella 15w40 HDEO, I would advise you stick with an oil of the correct grade in your Ford engine.

It will work just fine dureing the warm months but it would not be my first choice. If you are have a vechile that burns oil, has excessive bearing clearances that you are trying to nurse, or want something that is going to have a decent viscosity and HTHS while you are doing a solvent flush then a 15W40 makes sense. In a clean properly functioning V6 though I would go with a 5W40 if you want a diesel oil that is ok for mixed fleet and very robust. 15W40 is fine and will not hurt the engine in any way as long as you do not try running it dureing an oil winter. It is though going to cut into gas milage and with gas prices being what they are I just donot see what you are going to get from useing a 15W40.

It is a bit thick for most modern cars.
A very good oil at a great price, but it will cause drag and a power and gas economy loss. Stat up flow is reduced. Also, many variable cam systems have tight oil passages, and they like th recommended thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: paul246
Eventhough I'm a fan of Rotella 15w40 HDEO, I would advise you stick with an oil of the correct grade in your Ford engine.

X2

Originally Posted By: paul246

i also agree,but if you got your sights set on Rotella use there
RTS 5w40 synthetic..

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The Shell Rotella convetional, white jug, is available in 10W-30.

I have heard this before, but where the heck can you find some?

i have seen it at a wal-mart here in north carolina..not all of them have it tho but it is out there...they also have sae 30 rotella as well

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
i have seen it at a wal-mart here in north carolina..not all of them have it tho but it is out there...they also have sae 30 rotella as well

Where in NC? I'm in the Goldsboro area east of Raleigh, I've been looking for the Rotella 10w-30. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back