TCW3 and Diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading on lots of the board regarding adding TCW3 to the Diesel fuel. Most have had great results. I have some injector clatter and have used opti lube and others. Hoping maybe this will work.. Thank U

I used it for a while last year...and this year I had to replace two injectors as well as have the other four cleaned up and tested. Maybe just coincidence...maybe not.

Thanks, I had one go out on my this year #5 injector. I was trying to avoid any more.. LOL

Thanks a bunch. My clatter has actually quieted pretty good with a dose of opti lube XPD.. But I have the TCw3 and will give it a try next tank!

Originally Posted By: roperteacher
Thanks a bunch. My clatter has actually quieted pretty good with a dose of opti lube XPD.. But I have the TCw3 and will give it a try next tank!

How do you like the opti lube xpd? Thinking of trying some.

I have noticed with long term use of 2 stroke in my truck it seems like it carbons up the injectors over time. Mine will miss and run like [censored] until I work it over pretty hard to clean it out. Non-detergent oils do not seem to do this over time. Maybe I was running too much 2 stroke? I usually ran 16-32 oz a tank.

Almost 70k and still original injectors.

Last edited:
I have used the opti lube for quite a while now. 6 months or so. I had to have an injector replaced about 2 months ago but I do not attribute that to the XPD. A lot of Dodges ( Mine is a 2007 5.9) have had injectors replaced and guys were running streight #2 and everything under the sun! It does increase your fuel mileage 1-2 MPG and seems to be doing fine. I stopped it for a while but now back to using it.. I was told the proper dose of TCw3 is 1 ounce per gallon. I was going to try it at HALF that.

I have been using SuperTech TC-W3 at 1oz per gallon for over a year now with no adverse effects, it has seemed to quiet down the injection pump and I know the added lubricity can't be hurting the IP. I do however run a dose of Diesel Kleen (in the white jug) every third or fourth fill up and skip the TC-W3 and have had no injector issues.

I've been adding it to several tanks too. However, I add 12-16 ounces per full tank. Adding a quart is a waste of money imo. I would feel ok not adding anything to my tank, so with 12 ounces I figure it's doing a lot better than none. Some guys on the Duramax forums did a test that showed a 1/2 ounce per gallon boosted the lubricity as much as other additives.

I am only adding the 2 cycle oil at a ratio of 128:1 and the main reason for adding it is for a little added lube for my VP44 injection pump. You don't even really need it seeing as you have a 12 valve with a P7100 mechanical IP, so IMO if you are looking at it from a money standpoint it's a total waste of money for you.

Fellas: A question for those that are adding 2 stroke oil into the trucks fuel system.

1. Are you adding anything into your fuel system to help keep your fuel system clean?

With my many yrs experience with 2 stroke oil, granted it lubricates but it also fouls plugs and leaves alot of black soot.
{Maybe it all might boil down to your Mix Ratio?}

Aren't U kinda worried about what the oil is leaving withing your injectors and within the cylinders?

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Fellas: A question for those that are adding 2 stroke oil into the trucks fuel system.

1. Are you adding anything into your fuel system to help keep your fuel system clean?

With my many yrs experience with 2 stroke oil, granted it lubricates but it also fouls plugs and leaves alot of black soot.

Aren't U kinda worried about what the oil is leaving withing your injectors and within the cylinders?

As I stated above I run a dose of Diesel Kleen about every third fill-up and skip the 2-cycle oil. The Diesel Kleen exceeds Cummins stringent L10 injector depositing test standards and in 99K miles I have not had any injector issues.

2. There are no "plugs" to foul on a Cummins, and I have not experienced any more soot than before I started using the 2-cycle oil.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: -SyN-

As I stated above I run a dose of Diesel Kleen about every third fill-up and skip the 2-cycle oil. The Diesel Kleen exceeds Cummins stringent L10 injector depositing test standards and in 99K miles I have not had any injector issues.

2. There are no "plugs" to foul on a Cummins, and I have not experienced any more soot than before I started using the 2-cycle oil.

X2 on htis....everything he said....

Would a synthetic 2-stroke oil burn cleaner in a diesel combustion chamber? Reason I'm asking is I have a couple gallons of Amsoil TCW3 injector oil sitting on the shelf and no more boat to use it in.

I run TCW3 in gas only auto. one ounce to 5 gallons is what is reccommended for gas engines. TCW3 leaves no ash or residue.

Last edited:
Given the massive amounts of solvents in 2-stroke oil I doubt it would carbon up anything. 2-stroke did not perform as well as Opti-lube XPD in "dry" #2. As a matter-of-fact nothing else came close either. Lubricity performance is something that is not felt by the butt dyno. I run nothing but off-road and the store where I buy it shows it to be 500ppm sulfer. Now the store owner says they have no clue what they are getting anymore. He owns a fleet of John Deere tractors and poor fuel has plagued them. According to him, it's like the old west when it comes to buying diesel. You have no clue what you are getting until you have a real expensive problem.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Would a synthetic 2-stroke oil burn cleaner in a diesel combustion chamber? Reason I'm asking is I have a couple gallons of Amsoil TCW3 injector oil sitting on the shelf and no more boat to use it in.

I've run Amsoil's Saber 2-stroke in my stuff. ALL modern 2-stroke oils are ashless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back