PCV change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Escape makes note to follow the service schedule on the PCV valve. I read the scheduled Maintenance and there is no mention of the PCV valve. I spray carb cleaner in them once a year and change out when I do plugs I realize there is 0 science behind that approach. Is there a suggested PCV Change Interval?

OEM PCV valves are usually of very good quality. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with one being just a simple flow metered check valve. Spraying them out with carb/intake cleaner is good practice. I've gone 100Kmi and many years with just cleanings without issue. Swapping them out often with parts store cheap plastic could be an issue.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
OEM PCV valves are usually of very good quality. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with one being just a simple flow metered check valve. Spraying them out with carb/intake cleaner is good practice. I've gone 100Kmi and many years with just cleanings without issue. Swapping them out often with parts store cheap plastic could be an issue.

Joel

You are so correct! You're better off not changing the OEM PCV than to use a generic Purolator or other part. The OEM part is vehicle application specific while the parts store ones are made to fit a wider range of vehicles - hence not a perfect fit for all. Me personally, I'll change the one in my 87 Buick Grand National every 15k because they are known to blow seals and leak oil due to PCV's. My other vehicles (that have them) I clean them every now and then and replace them between 30-50k.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

You are so correct! You're better off not changing the OEM PCV than to use a generic Purolator or other part. The OEM part is vehicle application specific while the parts store ones are made to fit a wider range of vehicles - hence not a perfect fit for all. Me personally, I'll change the one in my 87 Buick Grand National every 15k because they are known to blow seals and leak oil due to PCV's. My other vehicles (that have them) I clean them every now and then and replace them between 30-50k.

+1 I remember many years ago I put a Fram PCV valve in an 85 Ford Van with a 4.9L, it started using oil. The strange thing was I had maintained this van since day 1 and was on top of everything, it never used a drop of oil. I pulled the Fram garbage out and installed a Motorcraft part and the oil usage stopped. If you plan on replacing it use OEM parts.

Make sure the one you buy is a better quality one and change it with your plugs.

I use Echlin ones because they are made out of metal and seem to be equivalent to OEM.

As long as it is clean and free, there is never a need to change it. I still have the original in my 98 Ford Contour SVT with 240,000 miles. I had it out for inspection for the first time in over 100,000 miles two weeks ago. It is still in perfect condition. Cleaning it every 30K or 60K is not a bad idea.

When I worked as a tune-up technician, every once in a while I ran into strange drivability issues that were finally traced to having the wrong PCV valve.

I also ran the original one in my 84 E150 Club Wagon until I got rid of it at 19 years of age and over 260,000 miles. It needed more frequent cleaning though.

Right.
Stock PCV valves are almost always higher quality and properly matched to your engine for flow.
But there often is a spring inside that can lose tension, or the sealing of the internal valve [both ways] can become less effective after a jillion movments.
Keep it clean and 5 years should be no problem.

Was looking for PCV for our rdx and according to the dealership no dealership in Canada has them for it yet (TBA).

Then he goes on to say you most likely do not need to replace it, the OEM ones are well built and should last almost the entire life of the car.

I like to change my preludes one every other oil change with Fram PCV (they're cheap :p)

80k for me and mine appeared to be working just fine when I removed it and checked it. Ive seen that some people change theirs every oci since the pcv is so cheap but thats being obsessive compulsive to me.

I have a 1996 Zetec 4 Ford Contour and the PCV valve is a real pain to change. It's buried near the precat by the radiator. It's not in the valve cover like in most other vehicles. The Ford tech had to let the car cool down because he was burning himself. Ford paid for the change at 60,000 miles as part of the emissions warranty.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back