Factory car alarm problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to disable the factory car alarm, the flashing lights and horn bit. My wife has a 2002 Lincoln Continental wants to be a alarm clock. Last week the thing went off at 11:30, next night at 4:30am and again the next night at 2:30am, that was when we decided to quit locking it. I live in a great neighborhood and I would never have to lock it again here, but I would like to fix the problem, because If we take a trip, it maybe wont be in such a cozy enviroment. Any suggestions. Id like to just disable it, so I can lock it. I cant find anything in the trunk or under the hood thats making it go off. Anybody experienced with these.

You might check the owner's manual to see whether there is a dedicated fuse for the alarm. If there is one, removing it would obviously disable the alarm. Trouble is, the alarm may share its circuit with other components in the car. Maybe the manual will tell you whether there is a diagnostic function for the alarm that may tell you which sensor or output is causing the false alarms. The manual may even tell you how to lock the doors without setting the alarm, maybe try opening the door to get out of the car while the engine is still running, then lock the door, exit the car and close the door? If none of these ideas work, you may need to have the Lincoln dealer scan the computers in the car to see if it will tell what input is causing the false alarms.

I have no idea exactly how the alarm in your car is activated. I do know that most OEM alarms are turned on when the door is locked, either manually or with the keyless entry remote control. According to a car security technical website I have, there is a dark green with a purple stripe wire in the driver's door at the door control module that if you ground it, will disable the OEM alarm. That sounds like a fairly drastic measure to fix this problem though. Maybe the dealer can shed more light on it for you. Good luck with it.

One of our cars is also an 02 Continental. (we also had two 98 Continentals which were identical to the 02). None of these Continentals had your problem. Question;
1. When you lock your car, does the red light on top of the driver side dash light up for a minute or so, then start to blink?
2. When the alarm in activated, what is that red light doing?

Years ago, I had an 83 Buick that had the horn start to go off when the temperatures got very cold (I lived up in WNY at the time). Could not get it to stop, so I just pulled the wires from the horn. Don't now where the horns are in the Continental but you may want to pull them until you can get the system fixed. As for the lights flashing, the alarm should shut itself off after a couple minutes or so, and flashing headlights will not wake people up in the middle of the night.

Couple of questions.

1. What did you do to turn the alarm off?

2. Are there any added electrical accessories that are not OEM?

If not, remove the batteries from the keyless transmitters and see if the alarming stops.

Thanks for the input. I turned the alarm off with the key fob, the light blinks, like it always did, no added accessories, car is bone stock. I had a Cadillac up North that would do that with the horn, I ended up unhooking it to. Still the cops drive through the neighborhood all night long, lights blinking and Iam sure I get woke up by a doorbell. I know if you start screwwing around under the hood while the alarm is activated, it will go off, I did that by accident before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back