Help me decide...Remington 870 vs. Winchester 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
250 would be a great deal. I have noticed the prices have gone up in the past few years. Case in point the Ruger Mini-14. I remember seeing it at Walmart for about 428 bucks, then I waited and ended up paying 569 bucks about a year and a half ago. I was in there today and the Mini 14 is now 609 bucks.

Quote:
Bill in Utah you talked me into it...I picked up the S&W M&P .45!

Good choice!
thumbsup2.gif
You'll like it.

I love mine. Of all the .45acp semis I've shot, It is my favorite. (and I've shot quite a few!)

Enjoy! Bill

Have you considered a Mossberg 500?? They ahve some model that are specificly designed for home deffense/tactical type work. They are the offical shotgun of the U.S. Army and Marine Corp now that they have a standard that must be met. Sure the Remmington 870 was used for a long time buy the Military but cannot pass current durability and function testing. I have a Mossberg 835 Ultimag since 1994 and love mine. I have mine setup with 32inch vent rib for water foul but it rocks with slugs two!!! The Mossberg 500 can usualy be had in a Deer/Turkey two barrel combo package for well under $500. You can get the rifled slug barrel with either iron sites or with a canti lever intergral scope mount.

My Father Inlaw has about 34 870's so I am very familar with them. They are a fine weapon but thruthfully I would have to say that they are not as good as they used to be in terms of fit,finish and materials etc....The Winchesters have been a bit disapointing in that they basicly have Mossberg designed actions but I think that the fit and finish is not up to Mossberg standards.

P.S. The wife just got me a Marlin 1895G in 45-70 as an early birth day present and I love it!!! I have wanted a lever gun in 45-70 since I was a pre-teen. So now my 12 guage and 44 Mag pistol combination has been replaced for this year's hunting with my 45-70 .

"So now my 12 guage and 44 Mag pistol combination has been replaced for this year's hunting with my 45-70 ."

Hunting should be easy as the ballistics of the 45-70 and the 12ga with slugs should be about the same :^)

(A friend has one and I like it a lot).

I vote for the Winchester, the Mossberg would be my second choice. After years of experience with hunting in adverse conditions such as snow and mud, the Winchester and the Mossberg will function dirty, the Remington 870s are just to finnicky. They bind, they jam up, a little grit really messes with the 870. The Winchesters and Mossbergs may seem like they have a sloppy action, but they wont jam, packed with mud. With most home defense shotguns they get loaded and put under the bed or in the closet, until you ever need them and if you do look at them once a year, they are covered in dust bunnies. I have nothing aginst Remingtons, I have several rifles, but I no longer own any Remington pumps.

Ive had a mossberg 500 for around 20yrs and I like it. Still works greats. Bought it for $135 so its cheap killin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back