Comfort Bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are retired and looking into adding a bicycle into our exercise program.

We have the usual chain stores here and have been looking @ ****'s Sporting Goods.

They have a Mongoose Sycamore 26 inch Comfort Bike for $200.00. Am open for suggestions. Don't want to spend more than $400.00 for each bicycle.

Will be riding in the neighborhood. Mainly flat with a couple of small hills.

I have a Mongoose Comfort tech bike from 2005. Got it on sale for about $150. The gear on this bike is really low, so I can climb 30 degree slopes but can't go much over 20 mph. This is the thing I don't like about the bike because I like to go fast (I'm 20).
They may have changed the gearing with the new model.

I just bought a couple of Raleigh cruisers for me and the wife. http://www.raleighusa.com/ Very comfortable and nice to ride, quite a bit cheaper then the electra's as well if price matters. Our bike dealer hasn't been able to work out a deal to carry some townies. I bought his and hers retroglide 1's. We both road a couple different bikes and liked these the best by far.

The FORGE brand bikes sold by Target (online) are supposed to be very good bikes for the money. I'm no expert but supposedly the derailler (gears) are usually found on more expensive bikes. Last week they had free shipping and it may still be so.

Last edited:
Giant Sedona hands down. They are a huge company, so there is hardly anyone who can beat their value for the price. I'd say at the worthy shops around here, they outsell the other comfort bikes 3 or 4 to 1.

trying to get my girlfriend into bikes. We are looking this weekend for something to take on a bike trail near her house.

I'm not sure what to recommend her. I really like the comfort bikes as they have more gears and there are some hills in TN. But then again the cruisers are cool too. I love the internal geared bikes. Though I would want an 8 speed nexus but they add about $400 to the bike. I know some of the townies come with an 8 speed.

Originally Posted By: msparks
Though I would want an 8 speed nexus but they add about $400 to the bike.

It's no Rohloff, but I can say only good things about the Nexus 8-speed ("Red Band" premium version). I don't think the price is anywhere near $400, but more like $200.

Check out SRAM's new iMotion 9-Speed hub. Cost is around $350.

The point beach cruiser is well regarded in motorizing circles. It has a steel framed cousin, the kulana moon dog, that's only $100. I had one and for the brief time I pedalled it, was fun and comfy. The upright riding position is really something coming from a hunched over neck stretching MTB. Both brands are made by pacific cycles-- not the california coast either, think, oh, china. :)

Two things about walmart bikes, is they're sloppily assembled so the brakes and shifter will probably need adjusting. And they're jammed into those racks which tweaks the wheels. Give a prospective bike's tire a good spin to make sure the rim is true.

Bike shop guys sneer at mass market store bikes b/c they see the duds but you can get a good one too if you know what to look for.

Laugh at this, but Walmart has a street cruiser for 98 bucks that will work perfectly for you. Wide seat, wide handle bars, all aluminum and 26 inch tires. Reverse brakes and no gears to mess with. I use it now with my 4 year old since I had hemorhoid (sp?)surgery last year. I had a super nice Marin hybrid 21 speed with thumb shifters that I rode about 50 miles a week on. Had to give that up but have been presently surprised with this cruiser bike. I was really reluctant to get it but the wife wanted one, so we got this one. Now, I'm riding it more than she is. It looks old-school. Fat tires with white walls. Sure, they make better ones but for what ya'll are going to use it for, you can't go wrong.

Sounds interesting Schmoe, what is the name of it ?

How hard is it guys to buy a off the rack wally world bike and adjust it back correctly, I bet a bike shop would sneer at me if i brought it in for adjusting.

I'll check tonight when I get home. I'm sure it's a common stock item. I've rode bikes for years, if the wheel is a little out of shape and you don't have any cable brakes, so what? These bikes aren't going to be driven fast enough for you to even notice. They can be adjusted. Just take the tires off and drop them off at a bike shop or get one of those do it yourself kits.

Originally Posted By: built

How hard is it guys to buy a off the rack wally world bike and adjust it back correctly, I bet a bike shop would sneer at me if i brought it in for adjusting.

most likley you would sneer at them when they tell you how much it'll cost. putting tires, tubes, cables and a chain on an abused neglected wallyworld bike will cost more than the original price, you'll throw it out, buy another one, and the bike shop guy knows you would have been better off getting a better bike to start with.

bike techs get no respect. I worked as a mechanic for 15 years and I have seen it all. I have saved many a dept store bike.
but everyone needs to know this:
WAL MART BIKES S U C K !
trust me on this, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I know, everyone has the same argument, it's fine for what I'm doing w/ it, I'm not racing, blah blah blah. but do yourself a favor and try out a real bike at an independent bike shop.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

most likley you would sneer at them when they tell you how much it'll cost. putting tires, tubes, cables and a chain on an abused neglected wallyworld bike will cost more than the original price, you'll throw it out, buy another one, and the bike shop guy knows you would have been better off getting a better bike to start with.

bike techs get no respect. I worked as a mechanic for 15 years and I have seen it all. I have saved many a dept store bike.
but everyone needs to know this:
WAL MART BIKES S U C K !
trust me on this, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I know, everyone has the same argument, it's fine for what I'm doing w/ it, I'm not racing, blah blah blah. but do yourself a favor and try out a real bike at an independent bike shop.

I am good friends with a local shop owner, and let me say mpvue, you are actually going too easy on those people, and understating the problems/situation!!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

They are basically impossible to get adjusted right.
Indexed shifting systems require good quality cables & housings. The cheap stuff used on xmart bikes are too stretchy and don't allow the shifter to pull the proper amount of cable at the business end.
Even the Shimano components are the absolute bottom level.
You simply can't buy a GOOD bike for $100.
Also, I'd suggest picking one up and comparing the weight to a $400 bike shop bike. Who wants to push a 40 pound bike home?

+1

I went through the buy a cheap bike and adjust it properly exercise several years ago. It basically can't be done because the components are so lousy that they won't hold adjustment.

You don't need to buy the high end bikes to get a decent bike, but you do need to get away from the bargain basement trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back