is Chevron RPM any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i searched and searched, and can't find anything on Chevron RPM oil. i can get it for about $7 a gallon, but if it sucks i'd rather spend the $10 on Delo, or Delvac. any opinions here on the stuff?

RPM is excellent and very similar too Delo 400 and I would choose it over Rotella and Delvac.

oops, just realized i was one forum off.. application is a 2000 ford f250 with the 7.3 diesel, i heard the high pressure oil pump shears the heck out of the oil

I run Chevron often, and have considered using RPM- I have availability, just whether or not its worth it...I think it is along the same lines as Shell Rimula.

Yeah like how they make the Texaco Ursa brand too? I think it's just a blended price point thing for certain large accounts that keep these products around. Their CJ-4 version of 15W40 Ursa has a TBN of 8 vs. Delo 400 LE of 9+. They could probably consolidate their blending SKU's and save enough coin on the operations side to sell the good stuff at a lower price point, but hey they are Fortune 3 after all!
Seriously though if you are buying bulk deliverer be sure to stay on your VOA program with these folks because with all the choices out there you would be surprised how many people end up with brand dejour or some odd mix in their bulk tanks this time of year (Straight 40 grade users add a little bit of complexity to the equation during summer ramp up)!

Chevron RPM Heavy Duty Motor Oil SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4+) and Chevron RPM LE SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4) as well as Texaco Ursa Super Plus SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4+) and Texaco Ursa Super Plus EC SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4) have all been replaced by Chevron Ursa Super Plus EC SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4).

Hope this helps.

I recently picked up some Texaco Ursa Super Plus (CI4+) for a decent price. The numbers on it look decent, I don't think it will be any less of a product than most of the premium offerings as it seems to be more geared towards fleets.

Originally Posted By: pickled
It's wear characteristics are quite similar to Delo's...I think the oil is Delo's little brother.

Good to know from another, I checked the pdf...doesn't look too bad...any experience with it? (Texaco Ursa Super Plus)

Last edited:
Yeah,
Chevron had "mistakenly" sent a fleet client of mine 600 gallons of it instead of Delo 400 MG. Everything was fine until the UOA's came back the next month telling us that the additive levels were off, and this wasn't our typical Delo signature. From what I remember there was less Boron in the Ursa Super Plus and a little more Zinc and less Phosphorous. Overall the wear metals/1,000 miles didn't look all that different at 20k miles. The TBN seemed to drop off just a little quicker with the Ursa Super Plus in the end, but it still made 20k. All and all I would say the "experiment" was successful and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it was cheaper than Rotella or Delo.

i used it, and all is fine as far as i can tell. BUT, i got billed for it at about $12 a gallon instead of the 6 i was told it should be. I guess next time will be Delo, which will be in a LONG time with the 500 miles ive put on the super duty in the last two months.

That's why I bought some...10 bucks a gallon. Compared to about 15 for what I normally pay for the Delo. Just a reasonable price that I took advantage of.

Hey Pickled, any moly in that forumlaion on the Texaco when your friend sent in the uoa that accidentally got switched for the Delo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back