Where would I obtain bulk denatured alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a bunch of denatured alcohol. (long story, don't ask
smirk2.gif
) Home depot wants $15/gallon.
crazy2.gif
Where might one go to buy a 55 gallon drum full of denatured alcohol? I'm not even sure where in the phone book to look. I know race shops sell methanol, but that's not what I want....

You always need weird stuff. I know you are building something in your bat cave.

Mix water, sugar and yeast. Boil and distill. And don't get caught.
48.gif

bulk chemical supply. Check your phone book... alfa, sigma, etc. charge too much.

JMH

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
(long story, don't ask
smirk2.gif
)

(said in a manner not unlike the Spaniard swordsman in "Princes Bride when he asked the masked man, "Who ar-re hue?" and he replied, "No one of consequence." ..and he returned with)

"iMUSTno"

Biodiesel produced using ethanol is properly called fatty acid ethyl ester, whereas biodiesel from methanol is properly referred to as fatty acid methyl ester

If you are plannling on using it for biodiesel, don't waste your money.

There's a funny *****"tropic" (the *s are some word that I can't remember) that's 96-97% ethanol, with the balance water, that comes out of the stills, not 100%.

It needs to be passed over a molecular sieve, or activated corn, or some-such to get dry ethanol.

My first coke bottle batches of Canola Ethyl ester used anhydrous ethanol from the lab. My next batches of soapy scum were made with denatured alcohol.

Was able to dry some with roasted Sodium Carbonate one time, but that's been very hit and miss.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
You always need weird stuff. I know you are building something in your bat cave.

Now you know why my neighbors don't like me.
56.gif

Before I start calling around - Methanol is about $5/gal in 55 gallon drums. Should I expect to pay around the same price for denatured ethanol?

For the price Home Depot wants, I could nearly buy 'natured' alchol from the liquor store...
smirk2.gif

Hmm..I wonder if you could get away with a 'still these days by saying that you're developing a pilot plant for your ethanol production facility. You're just waiting for the investors to sign off on it.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
For the price Home Depot wants, I could nearly buy 'natured' alchol from the liquor store...
smirk2.gif

I recently needed 500 #60 O-rings. I went to the Home Despot and they want around $2 (with tax) for a pack of ten O-rings. I then bought 500 O-rings for $17 with shipping from an online paintball supply shop. That's $100 versus $17!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hmm..I wonder if you could get away with a 'still these days by saying that you're developing a pilot plant for your ethanol production facility. You're just waiting for the investors to sign off on it.

Funny you should mention that, Gary..The pic here is kinda skimpy, but this thing brews at-home ethanol. It is, in effect, a still. I suppose their feedstock renders the finished product undrinkable, but who knows? It costs 10 grand, dunno if it's worth it, in fact, for now, I'm pretty sure it isn't. Besides, who has an E100-rated car in the states at this point anyway?

Check this out:
http://www.efuel100.com/default.aspx?

default.aspx

Maybe this is your salvation, Monkey!

Last edited:
We just ordered eight gallons of denatured alcohol for our lab at $26/gal. A few years ago it was $12/gal. So, what's the real cost of E10?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
We just ordered eight gallons of denatured alcohol for our lab at $26/gal. A few years ago it was $12/gal. So, what's the real cost of E10?
whistle.gif

I argued this in a post a long way back. If the energy/cost balance isn't there, then we're not importing any less petroleum and are just spending a whole lot of money to raise food prices ...which I kinda think was the plan all along. A domestic "condenser" of ag surplus where a shrinking $$ was going to make the global haul yield too little.

Germany wised up recently and they say no to E10. Apparently Germans have some common sense.

There's something in today's paper about a bill about to go through Congress that will raise the price of crops and will benefit the agricultural community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back