What should I use to clean ring and pinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

Back in the 80's and 90's when I had RWD cars I'd drop the diff cover, let the old gear oil drain out then I'd spray the the ring and pinion with carb cleaner 'till it was spotless. I'd then let any remaining residue evaporate before bolting on the cover and refilling with fresh 80W90.

A friend wants a hand with the diffs fluid change on his Dodge Magnum AWD (HEMI).

Any tips?

Last edited:
You just cleaned oil/additives out of the micro pores of the metals.
Cleaning sounds good, but is really counterproductive on those parts, or bearings. If you really have a need to clean, that is something different.

A drain and fill is all that Ive ever done. There are 2 different types of gear oil. 1 is for open diffs only, the other is for posi-traction diffs. Shortly after purchasing my 88 528e, I noticed a shudder when cornering. It was a grabby clutch in the diff. I successfully rejevenated the LSD in the 175k mile diff just by drainng the old oil out and replacing it with Castrol Synthetic 75 w 90. It weeped a little from the seals, but it was very to keep ahead of.

actually there is just gear oil when it comes to rear ends. If your rear end has an LSD it usually requires a bottle of friction modifier :)

If you read the bottles, some is good for open diffs only , others spec that they are good for LSDs. I'm guessing that they have the friction modifier.

After dirt or water contamination of a diff I use acetone and wipe the carrier with lint free rags. Otherwise, I just crack the cover leaving the top bolt loose to get the majority out. Then simply remove the bolt and take it over to the bench to scrape gasket/clean the magnet off. Give the diff a good amount of time to drain (about 2 tall boys worth). Wipe and clean the mating surface on the carrier and refit the cover with a new gasket or skinned over RTV. Tighten all bolts to sequence (assuming that you cleaned up the threads and holes already between tall boys). Let sit for about an hour and fill. Pray that there is no leaks then go drive in figure 8's to get the lube back in the tubes. Lastly enjoy that odor!!!

Last edited:
Any non-clorinated brake cleaner or carb cleaner will work fine but so will just about any solvent you have on hand. Make sure you coat them with moly EP grease before you refill.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Lastly enjoy that odor!!!

Memories. When a service writer would pi** us off we would get a bottle of LSD additive, put some on a rag and hide it under/in the service writers desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back