Pic request: Your engine with the valve covers removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few pics I took during the summer when I did all the 100K miles service on my 03 Accord v6 coupe. I changed the timing belt, the valve gaskets, gave her a valve adjustment (the intake were a bit loose and the exhaust a bit tight), changed the tranny oil (to Honda ATF) and I have been using Mobil 1 5w20 for a few weeks now. Also did a lot of carb cleaning (intake and combustion chambers. The intake did it by hand *nasty job* and for the chambers I used seafoam. Before I used the Honda 5w20 oil for about 100k miles and worked out well, or at least I had no oil related issues. The engine runs well and the tranny too. I have been reading horror stories about the transmissions on the 7th generation Accords and was told by many not to flush it, just change the oil every 30k. I don't see any oil leaks anywhere. Solid car. Hope my recent switch to Mobil 1 is as good as people say should be, especially during a Canadian winter where things can get seriously frozen overnight. Hello to the forum too... tons of info to read here, hope to be able to contribute something or possibly ask questions.

Picture20.jpg

Picture21.jpg

Picture17.jpg

Picture16.jpg

Picture15.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Last edited:
Here's afew pics of my 97 Saturn SWII with 170k on the clock. 3K+ OCI's with dino. I'll post some pics after I get done with an application of ARX. Right now I'm about 1K miles into the clean phase.
valvecover04gi1.th.jpg
[/img]
valvecover05fy8.th.jpg]

Originally Posted By: TonyWare
A few pics I took during the summer when I did all the 100K miles service on my 03 Accord v6 coupe. I changed the timing belt, the valve gaskets, gave her a valve adjustment (the intake were a bit loose and the exhaust a bit tight), changed the tranny oil (to Honda ATF) and I have been using Mobil 1 5w20 for a few weeks now. Also did a lot of carb cleaning (intake and combustion chambers. The intake did it by hand *nasty job* and for the chambers I used seafoam. Before I used the Honda 5w20 oil for about 100k miles and worked out well, or at least I had no oil related issues. The engine runs well and the tranny too. I have been reading horror stories about the transmissions on the 7th generation Accords and was told by many not to flush it, just change the oil every 30k. I don't see any oil leaks anywhere. Solid car. Hope my recent switch to Mobil 1 is as good as people say should be, especially during a Canadian winter where things can get seriously frozen overnight. Hello to the forum too... tons of info to read here, hope to be able to contribute something or possibly ask questions.

Welcome to Bitog!

Nice pictures. Very interesting look at the VTEC valve rockers. It's easier to visualize how that extra valve links up and starts opening at higher rpm's.

I will be doing the valves on my wife's 3.2TL sometime in the next few years. Just had the timing belt and water pump done and 100k km's. How did you find the access to the valves on the cylinder head closest to the firewall? Is it too much of a pain to recommend to a DIY'er like me that has rebuilt a few engines?

My DIY days are in decline for jobs that are just too much of a hassle. I don't get any enjoyment out of them and would rather pay.

Also, I notice you had a computer on your engine. Do you have some kind of diagnostic software for your car?

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Also, I notice you had a computer on your engine. Do you have some kind of diagnostic software for your car?

All the 3.0 VTECs came with laptop in the engine compartment. Have a look under the hood. Yours should be there, just like the one in the picture.

Originally Posted By: va3ux

All the 3.0 VTECs came with laptop in the engine compartment. Have a look under the hood. Yours should be there, just like the one in the picture.

Hahahahahahahah !!! Good one!!

The setup is bluetooth laptop with bluetooth OBD-II reader. The software is something called OBDCrazy (google it)... freebie. Can do the basic stuff like read codes/reset etc. The only place I can place it is on top of the fuse box that us flat.

Welcome to Bitog!
I will be doing the valves on my wife's 3.2TL sometime in the next few years. Just had the timing belt and water pump done and 100k km's. How did you find the access to the valves on the cylinder head closest to the firewall? Is it too much of a pain to recommend to a DIY'er like me that has rebuilt a few engines? My DIY days are in decline for jobs that are just too much of a hassle. I don't get any enjoyment out of them and would rather pay. Also, I notice you had a computer on your engine. Do you have some kind of diagnostic software for your car?

You really have to stretch your back to get your hands in the back cylinder head. I assuming that the J32 cylinder heads on the TL are the same as the J30 on my Accord... since the camshafts from the TL can fit the Accord's J30 engine.

I don't think its a big job. Took me 6 hours to do all, but I was really picky and cleaned up everything under there too! So, cleaning the old oil and the intake manifold took most of the time.

After 100K miles, I found the exhaust valves to be a bit tighter than recommended and the intake a bit more loose than recommended. Our valves on the J-Engines don’t need adjustment, unless they are noisy, and mine were too noisy because of that.

Since you will have to take off the intake manifold to get to the bolts of the head covers, it is a good opportunity to clean up all the carbon deposits from the intake and the throttle body too. Any carbon cleaner spray will do a good job.

Get new gaskets for both the front and the back cylinder head covers. Also one of those valve adjustment tools would help since you have to hold both the wrench and the screw driver and the feeler gauge... but you only have 2 hands!!! Finally, get the feeler gauges that are bent a bit (like “L” shaped) to get under the valve screw, not much space in there to work with any big feeler gauges!!

Hope this helps. There is tons of info out there on Honda, V6 and accord related sites. If you google with the right keywords (like “Honda J32 valve adjustment”) you will find a lot.

Book a good back massage, you'll need it after you are done doing all 6 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back