Isuzu 4BD1_Amsoil 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enclosed are the results from 325 hour run of Amsoil 15w40, this unit has run Delo / Rotella T & LOS since new, unit was flushed with Auto RX for 250 hours. Filters are WIX (air & oil) with off road diesel and Power service or CRC (which ever the farm has on the shelf).

Thoughts....

Isuzu4BD1_Amsoil15w40.jpg

Love the 4BD1 and the 4BD1-T.
These things go forever.
I'm guessing this is in a generator ?
These engines were used in the mid-late eighties in Land Rover 110's (Defender) in Australia, and it's still considered the best engine Land Rover has ever fitted to a vehicle.

I didn't realise Amsoil used that high a calcium level, as Japanese diesel manufacturers typically call for Ca levels of 3000ppm+, so that's a plus.

Basically looks like virgin oil in the wear department.
Everything else is perfect.

A certain guy in the diesel forum seems to think Amsoil produces high Fe. Doubt he'll post here.

How long are you going to run next OCI? You've got noise ..and low noise at that. This is great. Amsoil diesel oils get little love. It's probably more due to the difficulty most have in doing longer drains.

Did you happen to cut open your Auto-Rx filters? Are you using the maintenance dose?

What you must remember is that this motor has over 9000 hours on it already, I figure that is about 450k in road miles with little or no rpm changes (2k consistant). So for the readings and age I believe it looks pretty darn good, the oil is still a amber colour (slightly dirty now) but I see no nbeed to add a bypass.
The Auto RX filter change was after first 10 hours, no gunk or buildup...then went an additional 200 / 210 hours with no visible gunk or buildup ( I even checked the used oil and it was not bad). I am not running a maintenance dose due to simple economics, I may however do a treatment every other year??
I hope to get another 325 hours, if so that will extend oil change almost twice....at $3.80/gal for off road it is money in the bank.

I also have this same oil for 2006 CTD..anxious to see results

Last edited:
Let's face it...Amsoil AME is a rock star for the price! If you can sign up for a commercial account with Amsoil it is pretty darn inexpensive for the performance.

Amazing uoa, just goes to show you what is the easiest service on a motor and oil. At 325 hrs with my average speed being 39.8 this would be like a uoa with almsot 13k miles on it. I would think 12-1400 hrs wouldn't be out of hand with some makeup oil along the way.

pickled...I thought about it but with the setup on this motor it would leave opening for mice and critters to enter the area...
The oil appears very clean, this motor setrup does not turn the oil black like the newer versions, as you see the soot level was nil and I will probably do a particle count next time for giggles...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Basically looks like virgin oil in the wear department.
Everything else is perfect.

A certain guy in the diesel forum seems to think Amsoil produces high Fe. Doubt he'll post here.

Possibly they got the sample mistaken for a virgin sample of AME at the lab...
35.gif

Last edited:
I think that has to be a record UOA. 325 hours thats about 13k miles for me. If its a GENSET running under a consistent load that would explain the UOA. If it has a by pass system then the wear was probably a bit higher than the UOA would indicate. Which double nothing is still nothing. I take thats AME 15W40, that is a good oil. I have seen things can kinda flip quickly so be careful and good luck. I am leaving my oil in my GENSET two years, it probably could go three years.

That 325 hours was probablyin 6 months or so, I am trying to go to the 1000 hour mark but will re-sample in 325 more hours.There is no bypass unit in the setup, since we have a problem with critters chewing on wiring I have not opened the cabinet with external bypass.

Here is the newest UOA...

Unit has approx 600 hours on same oil (Amsoil 15w40)
1 1/2 gal oil added during use.
Wix cart filters
Wix Air filters
Off road diesel w/Diesel Kleen

Isuzu4BD1_600hrs.jpg

Man, Isuzu makes good engines AND the Amsoil is doing a good of protecting it.

I'm with pickled, double the usage and just use top off oil to replenish the TBN.

We are figuring 50 mph, the machine runs 98% @ 2k rpm....

I am working on a 1200 hour run before we change...that would be 60k and would be quite cost efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back