Napa house brand oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy9190, I applaud you. Not many people bother to think about the cost in time and fuel to "save money" at WalMart. Personally I've sworn off going in there for over a year now and I'm a happier person for it :).

Supporting your local NAPA franchise also supports one of the local business people in your town instead of some never ending megalith out of Arkansas.

I agree. I won't bash any business, Walmart or otherwise, but it is just too much trouble to go to any business or store that is so dificult to navigate. The money that might be saved is just not worth the hassle. I am all for supporting local business and have found that I get better quality of parts and service from Napa. That alone is worth paying a little more for a quart of oil. Napa also carries parts that the other parts stores do not. There are a few things I will buy from Walmart but not very often. They are the only place here that carries the RainX wiper blades I like to use on my truck. For some fluids, chemicals, wax, etc AAP has good prices. AAP here is open late on Sundays which has really helped me a time or two in the past. Napa and AAP are both half a mile from my house which makes it a short bicycle ride when I'm up to my elbows on a repair and need a part. But when I have the option and need a part I only want to replace once, I buy it at Napa.

If the NAPA oil says it's made in Covington, as in Covington KY, there's noplace there to refine oil...they may bottle bulk product in a warehouse there, but it's just semantics on their part.

I think the difference in location markings are just the main office locations of Ashland HQ vs the Valvoline Division and not the refinery or packaging locations. (See below) Covington RiverCenter is a high end office building across the Ohio river from the Cincinnati baseball and football parks.

Note:

Ashland Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
50 E. RiverCenter Blvd.
P.O. Box 391
Covington, KY 41012
(859) 815-3333

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valvoline
P.O. Box 14000
Lexington, KY 40512
1-800-TEAM-VAL

Thanks. I appreciate the info very much. I hope Napa has a sale some time soon on their HM oil and ProSelect filters. Regardless, Napa will be my store for oil and filters from here on out. Thanks again everybody for all the info here. You never can really tell who makes what on the house/generic brands.

Jimmy

I pondered this question several years ago and contacted Valvoline. They advised that the Napa Premium oil is a fine all but has a lesser additive package than the Valvoline. They sent me the specs on the Napa oil. Its been so long ago I don't have it anymore but I do remember comparing it to the Valvoline product data sheet and it did have a small reduction in additives compared to the regular Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back