Amsoil ASL 5W30, 2005 Subaru WRX STi, 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background:
Just a normal driver of my STi, I don't do anything more crazy than vigorous freeway pulls.
The first two oil samples were Castrol Syntec 10W40, the latest two are Amsoil ASL 5W30.
I screwed up on this sample and managed to only get the last bit of oil out of the sump.

Questions:
Is the uptick in iron anything to be concerned about? Blackstone doesn't seem worried, but still...
Not sure why the silicon is so (relatively) high...replaced my filter at the beginning of this interval...maybe contaminated sample, some dirt off the oil pan bottom or something?
I don't understand Blackstone's comment about no fuel showing up this time. I though 0.5% was MORE than a trace, not LESS. But clearly I don't know the definition of a trace...

Any feedback is appreciated.

uoa_0804_nopersonalinfo.jpg

Iron is appropriately low, Silicon is not statistically significantly higher, and I agree this comment is about fuel is goofy. 0.5% fuel sounds HIGHER to me than TR. But, I've seen goofier comments out of Blackstone.

Good UOA. Nothing to worry about with these results.

Originally Posted By: alanlcit
Background:
Just a normal driver of my STi, I don't do anything more crazy than vigorous freeway pulls.
The first two oil samples were Castrol Syntec 10W40, the latest two are Amsoil ASL 5W30.
I screwed up on this sample and managed to only get the last bit of oil out of the sump.

Questions:
Is the uptick in iron anything to be concerned about? Blackstone doesn't seem worried, but still...
Not sure why the silicon is so (relatively) high...replaced my filter at the beginning of this interval...maybe contaminated sample, some dirt off the oil pan bottom or something?
I don't understand Blackstone's comment about no fuel showing up this time. I though 0.5% was MORE than a trace, not LESS.

The difference between 5 and 7 ppm is well within the margin of error, but I'm sure the sampling technique and extra miles had some effect. Maybe even the viscosity change had an effect.

10 ppm Si is nothing to worry about.

As for fuel, the report reads <.05% (could be zero!), so a trace is more.

BTW, when I said filter, I meant engine air filter. I also change the oil filter with every oil change (Purolator PureOne PL14612)...

Also, the fuel % is 0.5%, not 0.05%. I assume "TR" is defined as something less than some percentage (maybe 0.1%?). Anyway, this issue doesn't seem to matter, since the consensus seems to be that this is a low number?

Sorry about the multiple posts. Meant to ask one more question:

Any input on switching to Amsoil European formula 5W40 as a means to reduce oil consumption a little bit (and also for the hot late summer/early fall months in San Diego)? Anything I should know about this oil...I haven't searched for UOAs with this oil yet, but I assume it's fine?

The reality is that I probably won't have to change the oil until August, so I'm going to be driving with the 5W30 in hot weather for a while, but oh well. I live close to the beach, so it's not usually over 90 degrees.

This is one of the better STI UOAs I have seen around here. You have nothing to worry about.

Also, the fuel % is 0.5%, not 0.05%. I assume "TR" is defined as something less than some percentage (maybe 0.1%?). Anyway, this issue doesn't seem to matter, since the consensus seems to be that this is a low number?

I meant <.5%. Not sure how that extra zero slipped in there. Sorry about that. Anyway my point was it's <, so nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back