Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try going to any online Ford parts catalog and searching for one of those "OE" part numbers. I have and the ones I've checked (teamfordparts.com and forddirectonline.com) cannot find it but can find the Motorcraft long number.

You can check these, which according to the Motorcraft site are the OE numbers for BR50 pads:

OE Number XU2J 2C452 AUA
OEManufacturer Ford
OE Number XU2Z 2V001 AUA
OEManufacturer Ford

I can't find "XU2J 2C452 AUA" as being an orderable part.

xu2j-2c452-aua is an engineering number, not a part number. on service parts, the prefix ends in Z, unless it is lincoln specific, then it ends in Y. motorcraft.com does not list the actual OE parts for brakes, just motorcraft retail. also the 2V001 basic number implies that it is a motorcraft front brake pad set. the OEM front brake pad sets are 2001. rears for motorcraft are 2v200, while oem rears are 2200.

As someone who used to make parts for Ford aftermarket in a former job, Ford OEM and Motorcraft aftermarket may or may not be the same thing. USually cost driven.

They do have fairly rigid specs for aftermarket to meet. So you aren't getting just whatever rebranded.

Other than spark plugs & filters, it is very unlikely the same suppliers are making the aftermarket.

We weren't the same as OE either back then.

both the OE and Motorcraft pads update fairly often, well not all the time, but once every 2 or 3 years on the newer models. older models where that FMSI isnt used anymore usually are as good as they will get.

whats interesting is that we are also a mazda dealer. mazda will put the manufacturer of the pads on the packaging. some are from Galpher, ive seen others from Brembo.

As for performance replacement pads - I love Hawk HPS. If you prep the rotors properly (takes only 10 mins) there will not be any grinding noise. They also are also a very low dusting pad.

As for OEM replacement pads - I use Raybestos "Advance Technology".

Those carbon-metallic pads were way too noisy and dusty for my taste. I'm currently using O'Reilly's house brand ceramics on the wife's 01 Explorer and they are holding up very well. That's saying a lot because she tends to be an aggressive braker.

I'm not getting any noise off either of the two cars with the carbon metallic pads, and they're not very dusty either.

I suspect the reason I'm not having a noise problem is that I replaced the rotors when I replaced the pads on both cars.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: TylerL
Thanks Critic, Centric 104 it is.

Be sure to resurface the rotors with a non-directional finish. Make sure you wash the rotors with soap and water as well.

On Friday I finally got the Centric pads with new china rotors. This was because last week my mom said something about how bad my brakes were. (So I got her to pay for the rotors and pads)
I spend about 6 hours on the install. Much of that time was spent cleaning the calipers slides and repainting the calipers. The 90 degree, 100% humidity weather was partly responsible for the 6 hours it took. Stupid Flies
mad.gif

Before I ditched the "Performance" Friction pads I did a 50 to zero test. The results were a disappointing 38 steps or about 105 feet.
I'll do the same test with the Centric pads, but I don't want to beat on the rotors yet. I figure a few more mild heat cycles will help avoid the problem of warped rotors.
I wasted lots of brake fluid because I thought I had air in the lines. Nope just POS P.F. pads. Now no one should use Performance Friction pads because Autozone now more than double the price, $58 plus tax. It's a good thing they did that, now no one will buy them.
Happy Stopping!

Did a 50 to 0 test with the Centric 104. The results were about 85 feet, that's 20 feet better than with the Performance Friction. I believe I could have stopped even shorter with the Centric pads but it wasn't worth flat spotting a tire.
I can't comment on brake dust levels because I just cleaned my wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back