New Car & Highway Driving Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on taking my new car, Acura MDX, on a trip which will consist mostly of highway driving of about 3000mile drive and been told that that's not such a good idea because you don't want to drive a brand new car on the highway for any extended amount if you can help before the car's properly broken in.

The seals, rings and the machinery just needs to set in properly, which happens during the break in period and before that, I was told you should avoid any long highway trip.

What do you guys think? If this was your car, would you do it or put off the trip until after the car's broken in properly? Thanks.

You should always vary the speed often and it is usually recommend to not use a cruise control during break-in. If possible I would try to put 1,000 miles on the car locally before hitting the highway. What does your owners manual recommend?

Just don't use the cruise control a whole lot the first 1000 miles. Accelerate briskly on the entrance ramps to the highway. Your engine will be perfectly fine. Actually, the kids that move the car from one place to another, and up the loading ramps of the car carrier have already accomplished the majority of the ring sealing/etc., that needs to be done. Those first 5-10 miles are rife with hard enough conditions that you don't really have to be as concerned about it as you used to be decades ago.

the key isnt highway miles - no bid deal with those. Its the varying of speed, load, and RPMs.

Even keeping in a narrow range of speed, say, 65-70 doesnt do a lot. You want up to 3/4 throttle acceleration, and closed throttle deceleration, many times.

Can you start off on a backroad or US highway, so that you can get much more variation in your speed (25-65 would be great, and with many lights), just to get more of a varied use profile?

JMH

I don't think it matters anymore with today's engines--it's kind of like a break-in oil change. Just drive it.

I would suggest avoiding harmonics by varying speed.

I put a few hundred miles on our "new" car driving home from the dealership. With only 900 total miles on the vehicle, I added another 2,000 miles in a seven day period.

There may even be some benefits. I haven't had any oil consumption at all. My gas mileage, even early on, was consistent with those who had been driving for many months, and had thousands of miles accumulated.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I don't think it matters anymore with today's engines--it's kind of like a break-in oil change. Just drive it.

+1

Just drive it. It's not your grandfathers Chevy anymore. :)

I topped out my 2006 Saab 93 2.0T in the first 2300 miles. Hit 135MPH a couple of times. It was mostly highway driving through Germany.

It doesn't consume oil and according to the trip computer I got 27.6MPG commuting to work in stop-and-go traffic last week.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Agree.

When I bought my Corolla it had about 280 miles on it. 30 by me from test drives and 200 since it came from Idaho for a trade so all highway miles.

Its at 106k and never been back to the dealership, gets mid to high 40s MPG all the time and runs great.

I'm sure it was stuck on cruise control @ 80 MPH for about 2-3 hours on its way down.

Bill

Won't matter a bit. Just get an oil change after to get any wear metals out and enjoy the nice new MDX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back