Valero Gasoline : Not "Top Tier" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a list a dug up online. Next question, at fuel depots were individual vendor additives are added to bulk refined fuel ... are the formulas and concentrations standardized. In other words can Chevron have one contractor fuel depot adding XX ounces and another depot adds YY ounces. What I am trying to pin is industry standardization (like coca-cola). I know at the old valero refinery my dad work, they would sell the fuel to other chains, but each chain had a separate additive tank. Only Sunoco had thier own refinery for thier branded stations I can remember.

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

Thanks for posting. I have about 6 of those stations on the list, so I am good to go!
thumbsup2.gif

The additive pack for top tier fuels can vary between brands and is often propritary. They test to a performance/deposit control standard, not a additive standard.

Generic unleaded contains detergent additives to "meet" Federal EPA standards. Several car mfgs. feel that the minimum EPA standard is not adequate for late model, low-emmission engines.

Drew

Since I moved to the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area 5 years ago I have been using Chevron with Techron thinking its better then most when it comes 2 keeping the intake and other stuff cleaner then the other brands.When I lived in the NYC area I used mostly Mobil/Exxon and never had a problem using that.Chevron gas lately down here is higher then most now.Do you all think its worth it to stick with Chevron because of the Techron or move on to other brands?

Thanks in advance.

I also wanted to use only what was best, gas wise, in the SX4. I used Chevron w/Techron + MMO/LUCL mix, for every fill-up, "as seen on" my 2 UOA's. No problems to report, except the hit my wallet was taking!

For this OCI, I am using whatever gas is cheapest. Usually Arco, but these last two tanks have been Shell, using the 5% off card.

Valero isnt top tier no. However I have been doing just fine on wawa gasoline (popular chain of convenience stores here) since its so popular and is always fresh... and my fuel economy is actually highest on it. I just run some Techron through it every 5000 miles and don't worry about it :)

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Valero isnt top tier no. However I have been doing just fine on wawa gasoline (popular chain of convenience stores here) since its so popular and is always fresh... and my fuel economy is actually highest on it. I just run some Techron through it every 5000 miles and don't worry about it :)

Wawa is Sunoco (US) gas. Not top tier, but higher than EPA req'ts.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Sunoco means 10% ethanol [censored].

The Sunocos around me are still 100% gas (for now). That 10% [censored] is infiltrating some Marathon and 7-Eleven stations in the area.

I honestly think this "Top Tier" thing is just an marketing act. I quite sure you have to pay a certain amount to be on that list. People see your name on the list, and people go and purchase the gas from them. Marketing at its best.

If you haven't noticed, XOM isn't on the list. They don't need the extra marketing for money. Just my .2cents.

No matter the location, all Sunoco gas has ethanol it it, according to a sunoco gas tanker man, so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
I honestly think this "Top Tier" thing is just an marketing act. I quite sure you have to pay a certain amount to be on that list. People see your name on the list, and people go and purchase the gas from them. Marketing at its best.

If you haven't noticed, XOM isn't on the list. They don't need the extra marketing for money. Just my .2cents.

But the Top Tier standard was created by a partnership of several domestic and import auto makers, not the oil companies. Several of the big oils resent being "told" what to do by the auto mfgs., so do not participate in the Top Tier program.

Drew

outrun,

Valero may not be Top Tier gasoline BUT here in Los Angeles they're making a big presence by starting up all around the area.

I've used Valero many times and it's been a top performer in all my cars compared to the big name brands. Besides I do what everyone else does is to put in your own gas treatment of your choice to give you piece of mind.

Do you want to know how much Shell gas is in my area???? It'll blow you eye balls out of your sockets when I tell you.

Durango

Top-Tier requires 10% ethanol, iirc. I have good results on Wawa gas, but am somewhat frustrated with Sunoco mpgs. Seeing that Turkey Hill is on the list, I will consider them since they have good prices too. A station near here just converted to Valero, very feew of them and I have never used Valero, but their pice looks good at this locaton that has been generally a premium priced Exxon. fwiw, I use 500:1 2-Cycle oil in my gas.

Can't speak about the quality of Valero gasoline, but their business strategy is to operate refineries that can handle the less-expensive grades of sour crude.

Once again, for the umpteen-thousandth time, top tier in no way requires the use of ethanol. The test additives must show results to the standard with ethanol laden test gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back