Fuel From Another Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain algae supposedly provide the highest photon efficiency of any fuel-providing plant. Couple them with wastes (human, catfish ponds, etc.) in sunny areas of the country, and you have a reasonable source of energy.

JMH

Last edited:
One common thread with alternate energy souces is that they require land. Pretty soon land-for-energy will become a hotly contested commodity with all the people we have on earth. Historically, issues with land use have led to war.

Oil comes from a hole in the ground. It is rich energy without using land except to extract and process it. The only other energy source that matches this non-land-use that I can think of is nuclear, and maybe methyl hydrates on the ocean floor.

Kestas, I once described oil and coal as "old solar" energy and got promptly put in my place. Should I replace the coal my station burns with today's lawn clippings ?

They won't let us spread the accumulated selenium over our selenium depleted farmland.

IMO, algae are seriously worth considering...enough that I've bought some stocks affiliated with algae to diesel.

As an aside, currently looking at the effects of chloride pitting on 410 stainless...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back