New tires aren't really new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on ad on Good Morning America and it showed Friday's show at night 10(can't think of the name) showing new tires that weren't new. In fact, they opened them up and there were made from old recycled tires. I know they can re-tread them. Anyone heard of this?

I would think that they would use at least some recycled material in manufacturing new tires.
21.gif

Yeah, I just caught it quick. But they showed a tire opened up and the inards were all ripped up.

A re-tread is not the same as using recycled tires to make a new tire.

I'm sure all brand new tires have some sort of % content of recycled rubber.

A retread is just them glueing or whatever the tread back onto a tire. From what I understand semi-truck drivers have this done a lot because its waaaay cheaper... and thats why you see lots of treads on the interstate :)

Quote:

I'm sure all brand new tires have some sort of % content of recycled rubber.

The problem is, once rubber has been vulcanized, you can't just melt it down and re-vulcanize it. If you could, there wouldn't be old tires piles everywhere.

Quote:
A retread is just them glueing or whatever the tread back onto a tire. From what I understand semi-truck drivers have this done a lot because its waaaay cheaper... and thats why you see lots of treads on the interstate :)

When you see tire "gators" on the highway, 99% of the time it is because the tire went flat and was run down the road until the tread cap blows off the sidewalls. This has nothing to do with the tire being a retread. It happenes with original tread tires too.

Last edited:
Some technical points gleaned from the article:

- Tread separation of an OEM Firestone tire led to the crash.
- The tires were 9 years old at time of crash, according to date code.
- The crash occurred (probably) in hot weather (July 31, 2002).
- The crash occurred after "... in 2000 Congress passed the Transportation Recall, Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act (TREAD) Act in response to the Firestone/Ford rollover crisis. But, the tire maker has never recalled any old/new tires, and did nothing to warn the public, police or auto industry about the danger of aging tires". I find this disturbing.

As mentioned in the OEM tire thread, my personal experience shows the OEM tires seem to fall apart (from rot) well before the six years expiration that is being proposed for tire users, which to me adds more angst to the story. Aftermarket tires don't seem to rot as easily.

These tires were already too old if they had been new when he bought them. 5 years is too old for a high speed run in summer heat.
I have seen owners manuals that advise owners that 6 years is the limit for tires. They are instructed to look at the date code on the tire. If 6 years old they should be replaced regardless of how much tread is left. People don't want to be proactive and replace a good looking tire or slow down if they suspect the tires are questionable.

Last edited:
TR just sold me tires that were 4 years old. Those AVONs that crumbled in a month. I have them on the rear now to get SOME service out of them and TR gave me a sweet deal for compensation. Still, when I asked about knowing the code on tires before I ordered them, TR said they don't supply that. At least otc, I can see what I am getting and would not be in the same situation.

I saw the show on Dateline (?) it was suprising to find 10 year old tires for sale. 4 years old at sale plus 2 years in-service is way too old, imo.

I used to work at a garage where I know tires were sold that were at least 5 years old..........and they were stored in the hot attic.

Thanks CapriRacer, must have missed that topic.

I'm going to try storing tires in the basement rather than the attic, at least during the summer.

Best Storage I can do is outside in the shade of the house with a white sheet over them to block UV. I know they get wet, but....whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back