tires turning brown??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new Michelin Exalto A/S tires and they turn brown in a few days after washing them in car wash soap. Sort of looks like there is some sort of coating or sealant/preservative on the tires. What is the best way to clean this off? Just soap only takes a little of the gunk off. TIA

A mild mixture of all purpose cleaner and water combined with a stiff nylon brush will clean the tires properly. You could use a 4:1 dilution of Simple Green in a spray bottle and a tire brush from the auto parts store to remove dirt and old tire dressing.

Keep in mind that tires secrete a wax in a process called blooming that keeps the tires protected from UV and ozone. Some "bloom" more than others. I have the same tire and haven't noticed a major problem, but I keep my tires dressed so they always look pretty good.

After cleaning your tires consider applying a water based protectant to enhance the looks and protect the tires. Lots of folks here like 303 Aerospace protectant (can be found in marine/boat stores). Other good products are Vinylex and the original formula for Armor All. I prefer Zaino Z16 tire dressing but that's a mail order only product.

Whatever you decide, please do not use the oily tire shine products. If it looks and feels like baby oil, skip it. Sadly, these are the most prevalent at parts stores and Walmart. Problem is they are silicone oil based and will exacerbate the tire browning issue and sling on the side of your car, making a mess and possibly damaging the paint.

I hope you find this helpful.

Yep, my wife's michelins did not have this issue. Yesterday I tried the remainder of some Eagle one wheel and tire cleaner. Then followed up with Dawn dishwasher detergent. I used a stiff brush each time. They look much cleaner. However, I can see where it appears to some areas are still brown. Looks like I need to keep after it with a good cleaner like Simple Green etc. I use 303 and Armor All Original as dressing.

Unfortunatly, these tires are "old stock" made in 2005 but are the newest my dealer could find (odd size tire on my BMW) so the protective coating may be a bit more "durable" than usual.

Russel, I just put a pair of 2005 old stock tires on my VW Jetta. Same brown problem.

I scrubbed them with Simple Green and Dawn too which helped some. Now, a couple of months later, the rest of the brown is gone on it's own. I also used 303 on them.

Tires seem to turn brown worse when they aren't being used. Someone in the tire manufacturing business in Taiwan told me that tires have ingredients in them that work their way out of the tire in when it's use to protect the surface from ozone etc and that if they aren't used they will even check and crack worse than if they are being used.

Capriracers comments would be welcome here.

Edit: Looks like Bret already splained it better than I did
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
bret,

How is Vinylex for outdoor use?

Ya know.... I've never used it on outdoor stuff. Only cars. I'll have to give it a try and see. Thanks for the idea.
cheers3.gif

Thanks everyone, After two or three scrubbings, They look much better. I have some simple green mix ready to go for my next car wash.

I use the Dupont Teflon tire shine from Wal Mart. It is cheap, doesn't sling, and most importantly has 0 petroleum distillates that can help to accelerate tire degradation. I use the stuff strictly to prevent dry rot on tires and the stuff works very well. I don't care much about shine, but this stuff gives a nice low level shine to the tires as a side effect. Just my .02

Oxidation and anti-oxidants coming to the surface cause tires to brown. A mild washing should restore much of the natural black color. If you put a tire dressing on a brown tire, it will only temporarily restore a black look. Wash the tire before appying tire dressing and the shine will last a bit longer.

Be careful with some tire products that clean whitewalls and white lettering. Some contain bleach and will turn tires brown by bleaching out the black color. It is more difficult to get these tires to look natural again.

I've been using Meguiar's "Natural Shine," a water-based product, for years. I clean the tires during the car wash process with Simple Green or Awesome Orange spray, hose them down, and dry the wheels after the washing is finished. Then I dump some NS on a sponge and wipe it on the sidewalls. It dries looking black and just slightly glossy, not oily, and it lasts more than a week if it doesn't rain.

Wesley's Bleche Wite works great on tires. The dirt just washes off. You can buy a product called Awesome from the Dollar Stores. It works just as good, and it only cost a buck.

I like Eagle One tire shine. It's not water based so some people might not like using it. It keeps my tires black as long as I don't curb rash them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back