Rocks in tire tread?

Dunno, effects of rocks on performance was never a concern of mine.

I did wonder about the "drilling" effect of small pieces of rock embedded in the tire. I do seasonal changeover of tires and, before putting the tires away for storage, I pick out all the rocks and fragments and slivers of glass with a screwdriver. This routine also enables me to inspect the tires closely for any looming problems.

I've had friends think "somthing is wrong" with their wheels, when it was just clicking from a rock picked up in the treads.

Like George, I too inspect the tires when they're off the vehicle. I pick out the rocks and check for embedded shrapnel.

I've never seen a rock drill itself into the casing.

Rocks leave nice marks in the pavement when you lock the wheels! I wouldn't think that they would hurt anything at all. Once the "wedge" wears down, it should come out on it's own.

I'm in the OCD habit of picking rocks out of my tire treads if I notice them as give my car a quick walkaround after I park.

To me, rocks caught in the tread is like getting lettuce caught between your teeth
crazy2.gif

I used to remove rocks from my winter tire threads but they will serve as natural studs come ice time, so now I just leave them there.

"I've never seen a rock drill itself into the casing." Kestas

Trust me,,,I have. Usually 2-5 times daily!

If picking them out makes ya feel better, go for it,,,,at least it'll keep you out of trouble with the neighbors old lady for a small time period.
48.gif

Bob

Waking up a 12 year old thread. I inspect my tires when I rotate them, and was catching a nail or other metal puncture once a year when commuting a lot of miles and driving through dirty streets and accident debris. High performance tires. Usually dug out a dozen popcorn kernel-sized rocks from the sipes.

I inherited a car several months ago and rotated tires yesterday. Only 13,000 on the odo, and may have been rotated once before.
Crazy amount of rocks trapped in the sipes. 200-300 per tire. Tires are geared more towards quiet touring. Most of the sipes are closed, so small rocks just get pressed into them and can't ever get out. Very few popcorn kernel-sized, and, mostly sharp-edged, not something mixed into the bitumen.

Oh, and it's a GM vehicle. Have to buy a $13 box to relearn the locations of the TPMS sensors.

Back