cost of lawn tractor oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter the competitors part number here on Fram's website. Not that I chose to use their filters but found all I ever needed for cross-referencing. Now to find the cheaper alternative!

Originally Posted By: Bill Kapaun
"Briggs/Kohler type" 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass Gasket 2.734"OD X2 .430"ID 0.226" thick
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Kohler B&S Baldwin MotorCraft AC Walmart JD

3.4" 51348 L10241 LF157 5205002 491056 BT223 FL793 PF53 ST3614 AM101207

Great advice! I've just purchased two Wix 51348 filters for about the same cost as one OEM filter for my John Deere D140 lawn tractor. A colleague asked why I didn't order four, to which I replied,

"According to this famous Irish fellow named Murphy, the filter will fit perfectly if I buy only one, but probably won't fit if I buy four."

BTW - Murphy was an optimist. Actual results should be available in six weeks...

Used to use the old L20195s off of my ford ranger 2.3l 2005...
Or whatever was on the truck after changing my oil. Normally I correlated it together.
Yes, a used filter off my truck. The deck of the mower wore out before the engine did. As did the plastics and the ignition key switch.

Tractor still runs too. A lot of bondo on tanks and starting with a screwdriver.

The mower itself was replaced. Its more of a hauling tractor now as the zero turn that replaced it is the primary mower.

Oh, and the truck always took 4 QTS. The mower always got a dose of a mystery bottle (old QSHM BOTTLE) whatever was left over was thrown in the bottle, over time it probably has a mix of everything from 0w20 to 10w40 in there.

Think last time I was home it got a FL400s off the truck on it.

Obviously it was done immediately after the oil change on the truck was. I wouldnt put a used filter sitting on a shelf in the humidity for a long period of time.

Most Briggs filters are rebadged Champs.

I use car filters instead of mower filters too.

The spec'd WIX filter for the little Kubotas is $12.50 and $2.50 more than a Genuine Kubota filter. It is so small and just has a nitrile ADBV. The Kubota filter is about the size of a 6609. It has a Microgard (Napa Silver) right now. When I service both of them this spring, they'll get either a WIX or Fram whatever.

The big guy's spec'd filter isnt any more expensive, it just has to be ordered. Ironically, it can take the same filter as my Jeep and has a M1-204 that has been in service for almost 2 years with some M1 TDT.

I have been using the L10241 on my JD L110 as well for over 12 years with no problems. I usually get them at Advanced Auto cheap with a oil change special.

I have done what many suggested here - cross reference and go to the autozone or rockauto and get the filters much cheaper. Both tractors (Briggs and Kohler powered)I own the filters can cost $10-15. I run an STP or purolator for $4.

I have used Motorcraft FL910s and Baldwin B1410 in my two craftsman tractors. One with a Briggs 19.5 single an the other with a Briggs 24 twin. I think for most Kohlers the specs on the filter are the same (or nearly the same) as the Briggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back