Mobil 1 High-Mileage 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice regarding my 1998 BMW M3. I purchased it not long ago from original owner. It has zero leaks and approximately 90k miles. About the time the factory warranty expired (approx 36k miles) the independent shop where it was serviced began using Mobil 0W40.

I am quite aware of the claimed benefits and disadvantages of this oil. My car is never tracked or auto crossed and rarely sees redline. Like I said above, it has no leaks but does burn some oil. I added a little over a quart during the last oil change interval.

Does switching to Mobil 1 HM 10w40 seem like a wise decisions? What is special that makes this a "high mileage" oil? I appreciate any advice!

Currently has Mobil 1 0W-40. Engine doesn't have any VANOS noise or leaks (like some 0W-40 users with higher mileage BMWs have complained of).

You might reduce consumption with the 10-40 HM Mobil 1. It won't hurt to try out this oil. Even the Mobil Delvac 15-40 might be another choice to use. Getting away from the 0w in some cases might be a good thing.

I don't think 1 quart in an OCI is bad, and if you stay where your at....your still ahead of the game with your BMW engine.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
98dakarM3 - If you have no NEED to change why change from a well performed superior lubricant?

An equally high performing alternative is M1 TDT 5w-40

I am relatively uneducated about engine oil. Is TDT the turbo disel/truck oil? Is that okay to put in my M3?

The only reason I am looking to change is to get away from oil burning and I a fellow BMW guy let me have it when I told him i was running 0W-40 because IHO it was "terrible" for my car.

Also, back to my original question.. what is different about the 10w-40 that makes it "high mileage"?

Hi,
98dakarM3 - Are you consuming a lot of lubricant?

Yes, TDT is M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 and this lubricant is similar in many ways to M1 0w-40 but - importantly - it has a higher viscosity at >150C. These engines do tend to run with "higher than normal" oil tempratures

The formulation/structure of Mobil's HM 10w-40 is somewhat "different" from the others and it may limit lubricant consumption in some cases

The secret contained in any lubricant is how it performs in YOUR engine and in YOUR operation. If M1 0w-40 is perfoming well for you then M1 TDT 5w-40 will at least as good in your engine!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
98dakarM3 - Are you consuming a lot of lubricant?

Yes, TDT is M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 and this lubricant is similar in many ways to M1 0w-40 but - importantly - it has a higher viscosity at >150C. These engines do tend to run with "higher than normal" oil tempratures

The formulation/structure of Mobil's HM 10w-40 is somewhat "different" from the others and it may limit lubricant consumption in some cases

The secret contained in any lubricant is how it performs in YOUR engine and in YOUR operation. If M1 0w-40 is perfoming well for you then M1 TDT 5w-40 will at least as good in your engine!

Good info. I am not burning large amounts of oil, but here is a little history, for my first oil change, i attempted to use Mobile 1 5w-30 (which i now understand wasn't the best decision but it was during the winter). I saw a decrease in the amount of "soot" (for lack of a better term) covering the back of my vehicle between car washings. I also noticed a slight decrease in the amount of oil I had to add between OCI.

To the average person, I don't think they would see anything wrong with 0w-40, but I am very picky about my vehicles (like yourself I am assuming) and want to make sure I am using the best oil for my vehicle.

Is there ANY downside to using TDT 5w-40 in my M3? I don't wanna "fix what ain't broke" but I if there is something better I could be using then I would like to!

The 5W-40 TDT would definitely the heaviest duty oil of the 3 that you are now considering. It has the highest anti-wear additive levels and TBN. You would possibly consume less oil while using it vs. the 0W-40. The only slight disadvantage is during cold weather starts, it would flow slightly less easily, but still well. I would try it at least once and see how it does. The HM 10W-40 is a good oil and is worth a try, too.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
The 5W-40 TDT would definitely the heaviest duty oil of the 3 that you are now considering. It has the highest anti-wear additive levels and TBN. You would possibly consume less oil while using it vs. the 0W-40. The only slight disadvantage is during cold weather starts, it would flow slightly less easily, but still well. I would try it at least once and see how it does. The HM 10W-40 is a good oil and is worth a try, too.

By "heavy duty" do you mean that it is a thick oil?? I imagine no because it still has a lower cold viscosity.

I will probably give TDT a try for my next oil change.. if i'm not satisfied i may try 10W-40. I don't wanna move to an extremely thick oil but would like to burn a little less

What is your OCI and how much oil does your car use during this time?

Sorry, just saw where you stated you added a quart but not the OCI.

Last edited:
OCI is approximately 4-5k. and about 1 quart during this time

The car does not get driven hard. Sometimes I drive a little spirited (it is an M3 for heavens sake) but I am really easy on it.

For what its worth, I have 5,500 miles on my first fill of M1 10W-40 HM. My car is an E36 328i (176k miles) with the M52 engine, similar to the S52 in your M3. This car consistently uses 1 quart in 5k. That has not changed with my switch to the HM 10W-40. Before using this oil though, I used to get a small puff of smoke out the exhaust (leaking valve seals?) on startup after the car sat for 4 or 5 days. The car no longer does this, so I guess the oil is doing something good in my higher mileage engine. I am definitely going to use this oil again when I change it out at 6k.

If I was in your position and had only 90k on the car, I would probably try the M1 TDT 5W-40. I am a fan of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Connorb
If I was in your position and had only 90k on the car, I would probably try the M1 TDT 5W-40. I am a fan of Mobil 1.

Good to hear from another BIMMER guy. My current plan is to give TDT a try and then possibly Mobil 1 HM if I am not pleased.

Mobil 1 10w-40 HM is IDEAL for this engine and I think there is another M3 owner here using it now.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Mobil 1 10w-40 HM is IDEAL for this engine and I think there is another M3 owner here using it now.

Personal experience or just what you've heard? Why so over Mobil 1 TDT in your opinion?

By heavy duty, I mean it has a strong base oil and strong additive package that will hold up over time. The viscosity is what it is. The 0W-40 is on the thinner side of a 40 at operating temps, while the 5W-40 would be still somewhat thicker in the 40 range. Also, the HTHS which represents the oil's ability to resist shear at higher temps, is higher with the 5W-40. It is known that the 0W-40 will thin some over time and then, if left in the sump long enough, will thicken again some as it ages. I'm not sure which oil would give you less consumption over time, but I would have to guess the 10W-40 HM since that is one of the things it is designed to do.

I used a mixture of 0W40 and 5W40 last OC. Next time I might give that 10W40 a shot. Let me know what you end up doing and how it works. (98 328i btw)

If I was running a car that had 90K, and the oil that was in it was what it had been running, and I was only using a quart between OCIs, (You don't specify the interval, but I'll assume 3K), I would definitely keep on using that oil.

NB: As it happens, I DO use M1 OW-40 in our car (10W-30 in our Dodge Dakota), not only because that it the specified oil for the car ('04 SAAB 9-5), and have had absolutely no issues. This is our third 9-5, and none of them have ever consumed a drop of the M1 (admittedly, we've never put more than 65K on any of them).

my uncle had a 98 m3 for 3 years we used castrol syntec 10w-40 the car only burned half a quart every 6k miles and he drove that car very hard when he sold it the car ran perfect no noise no leaks, if i were you i would use mobil one high milage 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back