Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 2007 Lexus RX 350's first oil analysis. The vehicle has 9136 miles on it. Sample was taken just prior to the 2nd oil change (about 2 weeks ago) (changed to AMSoil Series 3000 5W-30 HDEO) and it has 3416 miles on it.

The oil used was the oil used by the Lexus Dealer and is a Group III synthetic version of Castrol Magnatec.

Any comments on the oil analysis would be appreciated.

Interpretation:

"All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level is most likely due to seal and gasket material reaction with the lubricant. Water content acceptable. Fuel dilution satisfactory."

Aluminium (Al) 5
Copper (Cu) 29
Chromium (Cr) Iron (Fe) 11
Lead (Pb) Tin (Sn) - Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 59
Sodium (Na) 4
- Physical Tests
Water (% by crackle) Viscosity (cSt,40°C) 74
PQ Index 14
Fuel Neg

Looks fine for the mileage IMO. Just keep sampling to get a trend. Can' you get Amsoil SSO 0w30 in Au?

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks fine for the mileage IMO. Just keep sampling to get a trend. Can' you get Amsoil SSO 0w30 in Au?

Thanks for that. The full AMS oil range isn't available in Oz (that I can find anyway). This oil was recommended to me by the AMSoil rep. I do a lot of short trips (Severe service type driving)and a 10W-30 oil is the standard Lexus recommendation. The Dealer actually runs 5W-40 when they change the oil and this isn't in the range of Lexus Recommendations.
Originally Posted By: DmanWho
Was this the oil that replaced the factory-fill?

Yes. The original oil was Toyota Genuine

I expect the Si to show it is trending way down on your next sample. I hope so.

How long due you plan on running the Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
I expect the Si to show it is trending way down on your next sample. I hope so.

How long due you plan on running the Amsoil?

I hope the Si trends down as well! I plan on running the Amsoil until December so I should put around 5K miles on it. My plan is to then have the oil changed out and replaced with fresh AMSoil S3000 HDEO 5W-30 and then run that for around 7500 miles.

Hi Dave.
Your UOA Looks good.Need some time to drop the Si level.Try Mobil1 5w-30 next time.Mobil1 10w-30 finishing up here in Oz.
Cheers.
Bob.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Castrol magnatec 5w-30? i think typing error? 5w-40???

Conflicting information. The Dealer tells me it's 5W30 but the Castrol website says 5W40.

Well, according to Castrol Au ..you've either got a 10w-30 or a 5w-40. Two of each ..and none of them have a 40C visc of 74Cst.

The two 10w-30's, FMX and Professional, have like 68 and 66 CST and the two 5w-40's, Professional and SP, have around 88 Cst. The 10w-40 has about 102Cst for a 40C visc.

So, it either thickened or thinned a bit
21.gif

All the 5w-30 Magnatec references are in the UK. The Oz site hasn't heard about them yet
21.gif

Edit: in the UK, Magnatec A1 (and Professional A1) 5w-30 has a 40C visc of 55.4

Last edited:
Hi,
Gary - Castrol in Australia have done some strange things over the years in supplying lubricants to dealerships under Contract

For instance since around 1996 they changed the common "Magnetic" 15w-50 to a Magnatec 10w-40 without telling all and sundry (including car owners because Dealers didn't know either)
After the GC Formula SLX 0w-30 fisaco through Dealerships they used TXT 5w-30 that was hard to obtain outside of Dealerships - then they changed this to TXT Softec Super 5w-30. Now it's the Edge range!

As well they have used certain 15w-40 HDEOs in older engines at Dealerships - that lubricant could not be purchased elsewhere either. The smart independents have simply stuck with Castrol RX Super 15w-40!

As well Audi's Dealerships are now using a Castrol 5w-40 at the moment - it's name is unknown to me but I must find out this week! It could be almost any lubricant from the BP or Castrol range branded as Castrol that is poured in at Dealership level!

Perhaps they are on a Global Brand and formulation purge within the Group at the momemnt similar to the Mobil "thing"!

Last edited:
Hello, Doug.

I'm just trying to figure out what weight oil he's got in there. I've looked around and I don't see anything with that 40C visc.

Since this is the factory fill, it may just be some oddball stuff specifically blended for the OEM for the initial fill.
21.gif

A conventional 10w-30 would fall into this 40C visc range.

My Edit:

This isn't the factory fill. Hmmm...I'd be looking at what the dealer is REALLY putting in your Lexus. 10w-30 conventional, perhaps??

Jag:

if the PQ Index is smaller than an FE ppm by ICP, it's unlikely that particles larger than 5 microns are present. If the PQ Index increases dramatically while the ICP's FE ppm remains consistent or goes down, larger ferros particles are being generated and further testing or diagnostics would likely be recommended.

If I read all that you wanted me to (
grin2.gif
) I'd say that he'd want to start seeing that ratio start to close the gap. Keep in mind that he's only got 10k on the engine, iirc.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hello, Doug.

I'm just trying to figure out what weight oil he's got in there. I've looked around and I don't see anything with that 40C visc.

Since this is the factory fill, it may just be some oddball stuff specifically blended for the OEM for the initial fill.
21.gif

A conventional 10w-30 would fall into this 40C visc range.

This oil is not the factory fill. This oil is what the Dealer uses. Castrol AU website confirms the only weights for this oil are 10W30, 5W40 or 15W40. The dealer advise it is a Castrol Magnatec Professional 5WXX (this is where the confusion lies).

The TDS for this oil states : "Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40 is suitable for use where the following specifications or classifications are cited:
Performance: API SM
Where these SAE grades cited:
Petrol engines, supersedes SL, SJ, SH, etc
5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-40"

The TDS for this oil is as follows:

SAE Viscosity Grade: 5W-40
KV @ 100 C (cSt):14.44
KV @ 40C (cSt): 88.0
cP @ -30 C :6200
Viscosity Index : 170
Pour Point (C): API Service Rating: SM
ACEA Rating : A3/B3/B4

I suspect that this was originally a 5W30 which has been reformulated and replaced by a 5W40 particularly given Castrol's comments in the TDS quoted above. It appears to be a broad replacement. It is a Group III oil (confirmed with Castrol AU)

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back