another no start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Sunfire 2.2L 3 speed auto wouldn't start this friday afternoon. I drove the car friday morning home from work with no hint of a problem. Friday afternoon, when I cranked the car to go to the post offcie, all I hear is a loud shreak. I cleaned the terminals off with a wire brush, used a battery jumper, still same shreak. All power accessories work normal, dash lights, radio, headlights. am I looking at a simple starter R & R? new starter for this car seems to run $200, rebuilt $100

From your description, the starter may not have engaged the flywheel, but only spun, hence loud screaming noise. This could be a mechanical problem w/ the starter bendix mechanism(broke or worn). I like to pull a part and take a look before buying, in case it's a repairable defect. Yes, I'm cheap and proud of it.

You can generally find used starters that are fine parts for less money, if cost is an issue. Try car-part.com and use your zip code to find a local salvage yard. I actually prefer a good used part over the chain parts outlet's rebuilt starters. Of course OEM is gold standard,... and we know where the gold goes.

good luck

when my wife comes back from shopping, I'm gonna whack the starter while she cranks and see if it starts up. I did that on my old 92 mitsu mirage

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Anything but Otto-Zone.

I suppose AZ got to be a multi-billion dollar a year auto parts giant by selling people junk? get real. there will be failures anywhere a human builds a part or rebuilds a part. It is warranty and service after the sale that seperates all parts stores no matter who you are talking about.

Otto Zone is the King of the automotive electrical part failure. Why don't you take a poll of BITOG members?

It's what happens when you put unskilled teenagers in foreign countries to work rebuilding starters/alternators/ac compressors, ect. and pay them 15 cents an hour.

If you don't think companies make billions a year marketing junk, the midwest in your location must be the Middle East.

Sounds like you might have a bad spot on your flywheel. Try turning the engine by hand a little, with the belt or pulley just a bit then try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back