Almost rode into the side of an SUV today

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lady with kids in an SUV took a right when I was in the bike lane. She was pulling into a fast food place to eat I [censored]?

I chased her around the parking lot and met her trying to pull out of the exit around the restaurant. There were cars coming so she could not pull out. I pulled in front of her and slapped on the hood and said “You have got to watch for bikes OK!” She was Spanish and I don’t know if she spoke good English or not.

She just looked at me, then I just rode off. I don’t know why I ever bother when people almost run me down. They are either confrontational or just look at me like a cow at a passing train?

Glad too here that you are alright, I am going out tonite and I will look extra carefully for people on bicycles, we must all share the road and look out for people on bicycles and motorcycles.

Reminds me of a day thirty years ago when I had just finished my paper route and was buzzing back up the street on my Schwinn Stingray. I was on the sidewalk when a guy was backing out of a restaraunt parking lot across the sidewalk. He stops, blocking the entire way and I had nowhere to go. I skidded sideways and hit his passenger door with my left side. Thankfully, nothing happened to his car and I was fine, so I rode over to the driver's side, looked at the guy and asked "you ok?"
His expression was priceless.

Yeah, I've had my share of close encounters with cars while cycling, but it works both ways. I was pulling out of a lot onto a one way street when a 'cyclist' going the wrong way (against traffic) hit my passenger side. His wheel was taco'd and he was very indignant. When I asked if he needed a ride home or to a bike shop I got the finger.
Point is, while motorists should be aware that we have a right to share the road, we have to obey traffic laws and realize that in a contact situation we will lose.

Yep lots of motorcycle and bike riders give us a bad name. But then look at all the bad car drivers.

Some people are clueless no matter what they ride. Looks like a six bike riders have been killed in Portland, OR in the last year. They call it the right hook.

They are making special bike boxes ahead of cars so when the light changes the bikes are the first in the line of cars.

Last edited:
I was passed really close by a car driver on a blind curve; she did not want to cross the double yellow line because it was dangerous.

She pulled into her driveway about 1/2 mile up the road, and I confronted her, and informed her that if it is unsafe to pass one should slow down and wait. The scowl on her face was priceless.

At traffic lights I sit fair and square in the middle of my lane to make the point that it's "mine". But I will inch foward to let the guy following me trigger the loop if needed.

People around me have no clue about bicycles. So some people do some amazingly dumb things.

And then there are the folks who use common sense.

People around here don't give a rip about cyclists. There was an 18 year old college girl killed riding her bike here in Huntsville this week by an SUV driver that had plenty of lane to work with. Sad, very sad.

There are certain places I just absolutely will not ride my bike, because people are in too big a frickin hurry, and don't care one bit about the person on the bike. Too many drivers seem to view cyclists as less than a real person. Amazing

Glad to here you didn't get whacked oilboy. I get pretty defensive on my commuter bike these days. All it takes is one person fiddling with their radio and you could be in the morgue!

I've always given bikes and even motorcycles extra room but after learning to ride again after over 10yrs without a bike, I have a whole new respect for bikes. I keep trying to teach the girlfriend to act like every car is out to hit you. You have be on your toes.

Every car is out to hit you. Especially the 5 PM rush-hour people who think that racing from light to light is just fine, 30 mph speed limit be darned. Kinda irritating when having to avoid giant potholes and those steel sheets used to cover holes means taking the lane while traveling at the posted limit. 3/4" high steel sheet, 30 mph, 120 psi tires and idiot drivers do not a good combination make.

Go drive around the Minneapolis, MN area at around 7:30 AM and 5:00 PM and it is downright scary. These people will ride your bumper at 85-90 just inches from touching you. Second worst place for bad drivers was St. Louis and Kansas City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back