Which is the best High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: firemachine69

What are we considering "synthetic blend"?

Valvoline MaxLife.

-Dennis

Here's my bit of advice:

Don't even touch anything marked Tech2000 or SuperTech from Wally World... Saw quite a few cars "mysteriously" die shortly after these types of oil changes.

Not buying that, sorry

A few cars were questionable (an early geo Metro, a Hyundai Tiburon, high-mileage Ford van), but some were completely inexplicable (the Pathfinder, for example).

Maybe I've just grown too pessimistic to China-Mart after I had worked there for nearly four years.

It also made me into the cheap guy I am today.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Tech 2000 is manufactured for Wal-Mart, it's written right on the bottle.

Wal-Mart has a long-standing history of making the absolute cheapest product possible, and barely making any sort of quality assurance checks.

Again, these are my experiences from a Wal-Mart TLE. My most memorable one was a regular customer, kept bringing in his Nissan Pathfinder for oil changes at Wal-Mart (hated the dealer after a stereo incident, or something like that), always used Pennzoil Platinum. For some reason or another, he decided he was wasting his money, and went with a SuperTech drain and fill. He wasn't too impressed when the engine took a dump at 56K.

Yeah...you don't know what you are talking about at all. Did you even research before you spoke. Wal-Mart doesn't make the oil, they get larger oil companies to produce the oil. The manufacturer depends on your region of the US. Just to spread some knowledge click on these msds to see who ACTUALLY produce the oils.
http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/24014_1.pdf - Pennzoil
http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/26901_1.pdf - Exxon Mobil
See, that's the main reason why I change out my own oil because a lot of the workers at Wal-Mart do know anything at all.

Maybe Wal-Mart was under-filling his engine when changing the oil and thus the reason for the engine problem.

Last edited:
*Checks location in profile*

***Sudbury, Ontario, Canada***

As in, not in the US of A.

Hmm, for a guy chastising me about details, he didn't look too hard for my location.

Spartuss, although there were a few questionable employees, that Pathfilder was done by my very good friend, and he's extremely meticulous about the details. I always handed the keys to him to do my oil changes, and didn't ever doubt him.

Last edited:
Which oil will reduce consumption in an oil burning vehicle the most?

Castrol HM
Pennzoil HM
MaxLife Syn-Blend
SuperTech HM
Quaker State HM

I've read that the Castrol HM is the thickest out of all the oils.

Is the Castrol HM a synthetic blend?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Which oil will reduce consumption in an oil burning vehicle the most?

Castrol HM
Pennzoil HM
MaxLife Syn-Blend
SuperTech HM
Quaker State HM

I've read that the Castrol HM is the thickest out of all the oils.

Is the Castrol HM a synthetic blend?

Castrol HM 20w50. Doesn't Castrol have the only 20w50 HM oil ? If you're going for max hit on consumption, that would have to be it.

I'd like to stick to 5w-30. If 10w-30 reduces consumption more than 5w-30, than I can use that as well.

I haven't posted my M1 HM 10W-30 UOA on here because I thought it might be a weird fluke and am waiting to see the results of my 2nd run. The first one showed the oil thickened to a solid 40-weight and a lot of the wear metals were very high compared to prior UOAs. The run was about 7,000 miles and one of the comments from Blackstone was that my "engine was showing its age". I don't think that's the case because I did a few runs of Amsoil with much lower wear, including a 10K run before the switch to M1 HM. If my next UOA comes back bad I'll never use the M1 HM again, even with its excellent "paper" specs. I'm probably switching back to Amsoil, and will try the HDD 5W-30, even though the M1 HM quieted down the piston slap more than the TSO, XLF, and ASL Amsoil did. I am thinking about running Maxlife in my other HM vehicle once my stash of XLF and TSO run out.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
I haven't posted my M1 HM 10W-30 UOA on here because I thought it might be a weird fluke and am waiting to see the results of my 2nd run.
I'd like to see the UOA.

cfromc - yes, plse post the UOA - I've got M1 HM in one of my cars now (and it's been in there a while) - if there's some data to worry about, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
cfromc - yes, plse post the UOA - I've got M1 HM in one of my cars now (and it's been in there a while) - if there's some data to worry about, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

x10!

How far away are you from the 2nd analysis?

Well, since everyone else has thrown their .02 in, here's mine.

My daughter had a 92 Nissan Maxima, with about 80k on it. Nice car. It used about a half a quart per 1000 miles on standard dino. I stuck a load of Penz 10w30 HM in there and she had a minor wreck where she couldn't open the hood. She put about 6k on the car when she finally got it repaired, and the dipstick was only down a quart. That engine would have been toast were it not for the performance of that oil. Needless to say, we stuck with that until she finally totalled the vehicle last year.

3putter, you're in a tough spot. You need an oil that can go the distance in case you daughter damages the hood release, yet you don't want to spend too much money on the oil in case she wipes out the car. If you daughter lives there in Memphis with you, then ya'll are only a couple of hours from me, which worries me.

Meanwhile, I recently bought the M1 HM 10w30 5qt jug (and an extra top up qt) to put in my mom's Taurus this July for her next one year OCI run (figured prices might go up before then). It's got M1 0w40 in it now (topped up with two qts of M1 HM 10w40 over the last year). Thus I'm trusting that M1 HM is the schnizzle.

I'll post the UOA tonight if I get a chance. I'm going to run only 5K this time v. the 7K before and I'm about 4-6 weeks away.

Best High Mileage Oil? Fix any leaks by replacing the gaskets. Next, two ARX treatments with Amsoil XL line. Then, Amsoil SSO 0w30 for one year OCI. Best High Mileage oil available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back