Bentonite Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission/ gear box on my walk behind mower calls for Bentonite Grease, is there any grease out there that I can use instead or cross references this Bentonite Grease, everytime I need some I have to go to the commercial lawn mower place and buy a tube for $13.00, am I stuck using this stuff, any help would be appreciated. The walk behind mower is a Ransome Bobcat with a Kawasaki Engine, it is basically a commercial mower with a velke behind it.

Bentonite greases are frequently recommended where the equipment is likely to get wet. They will not wash out, and are practically impossible to blend with water. There is no reason for it to be that expensive. I buy/sell bentonite/moly/graphite grease for less than polyurea greases.

If you really don't want bentonite grease:
1. make sure you won't be leaving the mower in the rain or going into water.
2. make sure you get every trace of the bentonite grease out before putting in the other, or re-grease frequently until it is all out, as it is not compatible with almost anything out there.

I do not use my equipment when it is wet out, and it is stored inside a shed, so what kind of grease can I use,something like Amsoil or Mobil 1 with a NLG-2 rating.

Is this grease used inside the transmission/gear box. If this is what's used for total lubrication there is a lot of heat and bentonite is a great hi-temp grease. Will not melt. Maybe that's the reason for it.

How long does a tube last you?

Yes it is used inside the transmission gear box, I have used about half a tube , so I guess it might last me 2 mowing seasons, Amsoil does have a grease that is compatible but it comes in a 5 gallon drum, no thanks, my issues are that I have to go too the lawn mower place too get it.

The Peerless 5 speeds were designed to work with bentonite grease. They usually go for a full life service cycle on the factory packing of bentonite grease, and if you notice a lot of leakage, you could open the case and apply some more. I am totally into servicing everything possible on an overkill/severe service schedule, but the Peerless transmissions I just leave alone and run them til the wheels fall off the mower and the deck rots.

I have had too add grease 2 times since I got the machine back in 2000, of course I make sure too keep all of the grease fittings full, this machine loves grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back