Which is the best High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Don't get them for high mileage, get them because they are more robust.

yup x2...

Best high mileage oil is synthetic. Only Valvoline and Mobil make synthetic high mileage oils (that I am aware of). But many of the other high mileage oils are very good too. Don't get them for high mileage, get them because they are more robust.

But if you are getting them because they are more robust and not because they are high mileage, you may as well just get a good oil like Pennzoil conventional.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Best high mileage oil is synthetic. Only Valvoline and Mobil make synthetic high mileage oils (that I am aware of). But many of the other high mileage oils are very good too. Don't get them for high mileage, get them because they are more robust.

But if you are getting them because they are more robust and not because they are high mileage, you may as well just get a good oil like Pennzoil conventional.
I am assuming in all cases that the high mileage is an improved version of the company's conventional. May not always be true. And of course, am not worried about paying a premium for the HM oil.

I am assuming in all cases that the high mileage is an improved version of the company's conventional. May not always be true. And of course, am not worried about paying a premium for the HM oil.

Let us leave price out of this. Look..YB Pennzoil and Maxlife both claim to do the same thing...accept for the seal conditioners. Someone told me that as of 20 years ago, gaskets have been improved and many do not have leaking issues, especiall the newer vehicles. I think that Pennzoil has a better product and I would be willing to bet that their HM is equal to or greater than Maxlife in quality...they just don't advertise it...

I think that Pennzoil has a better product and I would be willing to bet that their HM is equal to or greater than Maxlife in quality...they just don't advertise it...

I had a 95 Monte Carlo that did quite well on Pennzoil High Mileage. I wondered why it only gets an occasional mention here.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
is MaxLife semi-syn an improved version of Durablend?
My understanding is that SL Maxlife was an improved version of Valvoline All Climate. Not sure it still holds under SM. Given Maxlife is a blend, though, it would be an alternative to Durablend, I guess.

Let us leave price out of this. Look..YB Pennzoil and Maxlife both claim to do the same thing...accept for the seal conditioners. Someone told me that as of 20 years ago, gaskets have been improved and many do not have leaking issues, especiall the newer vehicles. I think that Pennzoil has a better product and I would be willing to bet that their HM is equal to or greater than Maxlife in quality...they just don't advertise it...
Well I have a '95 F150 that has a main seal seep. I haven't consistently used Maxlife in it. In fact, I now have a load of Durablend in it. I would not doubt that the Pennzoil HM is good stuff and I could not tell you which is better. Based on viscosity, zddp, etc, I might prefer one over the other, but the bottom line for me is that I am going to use Valvoline (am a Valvoline freak) unless I find a very compelling reason to do otherwise. I was once compelled to buy a case of Citgo HM when it was clearanced at Meijer for 80 cents a quart and had about 1200 ppm zinc a few years ago.

the YB Pennzoil does get review here, but what I don't understand is why don't people purchase the MC 5000? I know that Pennzoil dino is a group II+ oil and I also read here awhile back that the MC 5000 5w-30 is group II+ also! MC 5000 cost $8.97 5qt and YB Pennzoil dino cost $10.97 5qt. If both are group II+ oil, it seems like it only makes sense to purchase the cheaper of the two. If someone can explain this to me then I would greatly appreicate it. BTW, I currently us MC 5000 5w-30 and my motor has 176k on it. I think it's a steal for the price. I want to try the Valvoline ML next but I think I'll stick with the MC 5000.

I like MC5000 as well, and I would also like any sort of confirmatin as to whether or not it is a Grp II+. Anyone know?

I like MC5000 as well, and I would also like any sort of confirmatin as to whether or not it is a Grp II+. Anyone know?

I read that someone posted that it was group II+...well atleast the 5w-30. Heck I don't know if YB pennzoil is group II+. I'm quite sure it is, but I myself haven't seen it.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
OVERK1LL said:
Same here. A healthy well-maintained engine doesn't need "special" oil because it's racking up the mileage.

Yes, but some vehicles due to their poor engine design burn oil no matter what such as in the case in a lot of Saturns. To slow down consumption, High Mileage oils can provide benefits such as reducing the number of top off's needed.

I have a friend who had an SL1 SOHC, and it was an oil-burning menace too. He just put whatever in it because it burned it so fast, it was pretty much getting a constant oil change.

I use Pennzoil HM 5W30 in my wife's 2001 Neon which has approximately 167000 miles on it. The engine now only uses about 1 quart of oil instead of 2 on 5000 mile oci. I do use Mobil 1 HM 10W30 in my lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

I read that someone posted that it was group II+...well atleast the 5w-30. Heck I don't know if YB pennzoil is group II+. I'm quite sure it is, but I myself haven't seen it.

I've heard from reliable sources it is Grp II+, but even their word can not be proven. But, I think we have all heard it advertised as "purebase"...that right there is a good indicator they are referring to it being a II+....but sill, nothing concrete either.

Here's my bit of advice:

Don't even touch anything marked Tech2000 or SuperTech from Wally World... Saw quite a few cars "mysteriously" die shortly after these types of oil changes.

Tech 2000 is manufactured for Wal-Mart, it's written right on the bottle.

Wal-Mart has a long-standing history of making the absolute cheapest product possible, and barely making any sort of quality assurance checks.

Again, these are my experiences from a Wal-Mart TLE. My most memorable one was a regular customer, kept bringing in his Nissan Pathfinder for oil changes at Wal-Mart (hated the dealer after a stereo incident, or something like that), always used Pennzoil Platinum. For some reason or another, he decided he was wasting his money, and went with a SuperTech drain and fill. He wasn't too impressed when the engine took a dump at 56K.

SuperTech UOAs have been very good (last I chked - about six months ago I went thru the UOA section to see how ST was doing) - didn't see a bad UOA among them except one guy with a coolant leak - ST was doing very well out to 7k.

Also, what is the rating on ST - is it SM yet, or still SL - either way, passing those test require very robust oils. I think it can be said with confidence that ST didn't cause the demise of anyones engine. You can fool the customer with cheap ingredients, but you can't fool the API certs.

I worked for the company, and I can assure you, it's all about passing the buck and cutting the costs.

If something as critical as my engine relies on fluid, I defintely won't rely on Wal-Mart junk. That's just my take on it, and I do use some Tech stuff (air tool oil, PS fluid, etc.) as it's always available, and there's nothing mission-critical about it. And oh, dirt cheap.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Is the Pennzoil High Mileage a Synthetic Blend?

If it's not, wouldn't the MaxLife Synthetic Blend be more robust?

As far as I understand it's a heavy add-pack to regular dyno.

What are we considering "synthetic blend"? my Motomaster stuff is considered a semi, but they're counting the additives...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back