Which oil grade should I use? 2004 Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Dallas, and this is my first gas engine vehicle in a while. My diesel truck ran a 5w40 year round, which I felt very comfortable with.

My 04 naturally aspirated Forester [with 103k miles on the clock] runs 5w30 right now, which the Owner's Manual says is OK right up to about 95*. Being as this is TX and it does get a little warmer, what is a better weight oil to run? Is 10w30 enough or should a 10w40 be better for this climate for the summer?

I will just be running dino oil, so I don't want to start a discussion of the best oil brand to use. I am more worried about the weight, and I will be running Castrol or Valvoline or Pennzoil or whatever is on sale at the store when I go to buy oil. I run a 4000 miles OCI or so. I would consider a high mileage oil, but the car doesn't use any oil that I can tell.

Seeing as the car has over 100k miles on it, should I bump the grade up to 10w40? Will I lose any economy running a 10w40 v. the 5w30?

I'd run 5w-30.
01.gif

I've used it in my Outback and it gets real hot here and for our trips to Vegas.

Stay with normal oils. No need for the HM...

Take care and welcome!
welcome2.gif

Bill

PS: You *may* take a hit for the 40wt oil. Not needed IMO..

Originally Posted By: spaceballs
Bill:
Have you ever noticed your 5w30 shearing down enough that you worry?

Nope. My UOAs (when I follow what the MFG states
smirk2.gif
) have been perfect with even the shearing.

Bill

Originally Posted By: spaceballs
.......Seeing as the car has over 100k miles on it, should I bump the grade up to 10w40? Will I lose any economy running a 10w40 v. the 5w30?

No harm can come from using a PCMO 10W40 in the summer. Or you can use a HDEO like Rotella T 10W30. You may or may not see a decrease in fuel mileage with these oils.

10w40 is listed in the owner's manual for warmer climates. Will any harm [other than perhaps at the pump] come from using a 40 weight oil?

No harm using 10-40 in Summertime down there.
But if you are not burning or making noises, I'd stick with the 5-30. Try again in 50,000 more miles.

Welcome to BITOG spaceballs. Since you are a BITOGer now, never say never! And you might as well start saving up for some UOA's too!

I think 10W30 would work great in Dallas. That's what I use year round in all my vehicles (gas) here in Magnolia. I'd also throw a bottle of Auto-Rx in the first fill of the dino of your choice. You can read all about that product in the oil additive section.

Hey, this post looks familiar.
grin2.gif

welcome2.gif

Yeah I think the manual says 10W30 or 10W40 for temps over 0F, right? I know mine says 5W30 preferred for fuel economy and a thicker viscosity is required in hot temps. I think I would go with one of those and then do a uoa.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I just finished up my first clean cycle with Auto-RX and now I am beginning the rinse phase. Since I have over 100k, I am going back to another clean cycle in a bit.

I filled up with Pennzoil 10w40 this morning, and after a few days, I will see if the engine is running any quieter. If it is smoothed out, I may just keep running the 40 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back