WHICH 5W20 To Use In A 05 CROWN VICTORIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the jungle heat in Miami.I take the car to Ford for all its oil changes and etc as every other place down here is out to rip you off much worse then Ford.

I have been using 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend all along.On the last change I went to Motorcraft Full Synthetic.I change the oil every 5K miles which is usually about every 3-4 months.I have 61K miles on the car now.Is the full Synthetic really worth it.I keep the A/C on all the time and traffic is a nightmare almost all the time.It can take me sometimes 30 min. just to get out of the parking garage where it is over 100 degrees in there.I am thinking the full Synthetic will give the car more protection in this jungle heat.In the long hot summer it is in the 90'S everyday and the heat index is around 115 by 10AM with Blazing sunshine.Even in the winter it can get really hot on some days.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
I have been using 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend all along.On the last change I went to Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

So you went to a 5w-30 or does their web site need updating
54.gif

Oils
# SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
# SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

I'd recommend doing a UOA on MC 5w-20 at the 5k mark and go from there. It's made 10k in some members rides. I wouldn't factor heat into the mix.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I have been using 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend all along.On the last change I went to Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

So you went to a 5w-30 or does their web site need updating
54.gif

Oils
# SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
# SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

I'd recommend doing a UOA on MC 5w-20 at the 5k mark and go from there. It's made 10k in some members rides. I wouldn't factor heat into the mix.

I went to 5W20 Full Synthetic Motorcraft.The dealers carry the 5W20 Full Synthetic down here now.Just recently I might add.

I see. I'd still recommend UOA and, assuming you have no fuel issues, you can probably get to a 6month OCI without any trouble (given the type of mileage you do annually).

FORD4LIFE said:
I live in the jungle heat in Miami.I take the car to Ford for all its oil changes and etc as every other place down here is out to rip you off much worse then Ford.

I have been using 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend all along.On the last change I went to Motorcraft Full Synthetic.I change the oil every 5K miles which is usually about every 3-4 months.I have 61K miles on the car now.Is the full Synthetic really worth it.I keep the A/C on all the time and traffic is a nightmare almost all the time.It can take me sometimes 30 min. just to get out of the parking garage where it is over 100 degrees in there.I am thinking the full Synthetic will give the car more protection in this jungle heat.In the long hot summer it is in the 90'S everyday and the heat index is around 115 by 10AM with Blazing sunshine.Even in the winter it can get really hot on some days.

I also live in Dumpwater,Fl, and i use Amsoil ASM 0w20 in my Mazda6s with a yearly OCI. I figure that's more than enough protection to handle the all year round heat here. I also do my own oil changes, so i know it's done right.

Motorcraft is all the oil that is needed. Do as Gary suggested and do a uoa to see how the oil is holding up. Then there will be no guessing .The oil temps when the engine is running is what matters . Unless you are on a race course or pulling a real heavy trailer over mountain passes your oil is not getting hot enough to warrant syn,oil.now if you are going to 1 year oil changes syn oil is what would be worth considering. All those cars running around Fla have syn oil?

Originally Posted By: MillerMan
I see 5w-20 full syn is listed on the motorcraft website further down the page, but not at the top

Yes, you're right. They need better proof readers
LOL.gif

1qrt_5w_20FullSyn_Front.jpg

FORD4LIFE,
you could do a UOA's on both full syn and syn blend and see which does the best and see if the full syn is worth the money.
esp. if you plan keeping this car for a long time.

I have the same car (mercury) but went to full syn M1 0w-30. but my driving habits are different with boat towing in summer on the highway, and cold start ups outside at low temps in winter. (we had snow last night).

motorcraft syn blend is good oil, have used it for years in older a ford 4.6, I may go back to it later on

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

Thanks in advance

I think the 5-20 will be fine. A lot of police dept., are using it, and seemed to be happy with it. Of course the P/I's DO have engine oil coolers! If you want a full-synthetic, which I never argue against personally, I think about any would do, with the OCI you run.

Are you a member at our Panther site>?
cool.gif

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/index.php

thumbsup2.gif

FL isn't THAT hot, any 5w20 oil will be fine for your Crown Vic.

My friend is a cop and I used to go riding with him and they beat the **** out of those cars and they never blew up an engine on 5w20.

Thanks for all those positive replies.

I generally keep my cars for at least 200k miles.Sounds like I will be using the Motorcraft 5W20 for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back