ignorant questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkg

Hi,
I've been zooming all over the internet looking for ways to increase my gas mileage. I've read some things that I might want to try, but I am woefully ignorant about car stuff. So I thought this site might be a way for me to find out the truth from people with experience.

Does synthetic oil actually increase mileage significantly? Is there any difficulty changing from regular to synthetic? Does anyone know anything about adding acetone to your gas to increase mileage? It sounds dangerous to me. And finally, does anyone know about the "brown water" thing that supposed to form a gas that your engine actually uses? Does anyone have anything that has actually worked for them.

I drive a Civic-non-hybrid.

Thanks!

Quote:

Does synthetic oil actually increase mileage significantly?
Is there any difficulty changing from regular to synthetic?
Does anyone know anything about adding acetone to your gas to increase mileage?
does anyone know about the "brown water" thing that supposed to form a gas that your engine actually uses?

1) If "significantly" means 10%, no;
2) Just pour it in.
3) People have tried it; if it were worth the effort and worked more people would be doing it.
4) Several posts about this; none of which i can find.

Quote:

I drive a Civic-non-hybrid.

The best way to get better mileage is to drive more slowly; costs nothing (except time). I have an Echo and can get 6mpg more by driving 15mph less on the highway.

The fact that you asked the question shows you're thinking, therefore you, in my book, are NOT ignorant.

Best gas saving tip - do the speed limit. Accelerate slowly and ease off the gas early when you know you'll be stopping down the road. I get nearly 20 MPG out of my big 'ole Tundra by doing the speed limit and driving gently. This is a 6,000 pound, 400 more or less horsepower truck.

Synthetic oil and gas mileage - probably too small of a difference for anyone to tell. I'd like to think it does as I use it everywhere, but I doubt its more than a percent. I'd say what's more critical is using the manufacturer's suggested oil viscosity. Some folks report that when they use 5W30 in a car spec'ed for 5W20, MPG suffers by 2 to 4 MPG. Is your Civic rated for 5W20? I'd use it.

Acetone - complete pile of steamy cow patties.

Brown water? Never heard of it, likely to be a load of cow-patties as well.

later,
b

Thanks for the input.

I always drive the speed limit, although occasionally I drive lower. Slowing down isn't always a viable option. I live in West Texas and it is a long way to almost anywhere. I work for the census bureau, so I'm on the road a lot and many times I'm idling as I put data into a computer. I drive a standard and I generally get 30mpg in town and around 36 on the road.

Keep your tires on the hard side.
Tag in car door jam says 30 psi. I run 35.
It helps.
If you want to add something to your gas, use a little MMO, techtron, or even a dap of 2 cycle oil.
Valve lube.
My 2¢

Originally Posted By: bkg
Thanks for the input.

I. I work for the census bureau, so I'm on the road a lot and many times I'm idling as I put data into a computer. I drive a standard and I generally get 30mpg in town and around 36 on the road.

now that is a job i would love.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
The fact that you asked the question shows you're thinking, therefore you, in my book, are NOT ignorant.

Well, ignorant means that one doesn't know the subject matter. Any given individual is actually ignorant compared to the body of knowledge in the world, much more so if we include the universe. There is SO MUCH to know, even the most intelligent of us are Ignorant.

Ignorant does NOT mean unintelligent.

Speed is a big factor in efficiency, also, how quickly (or slowly) one accelerates to that speed is a big factor. Rolling resistance of tires is a factor, so, as a general rule, running on the higher end of the recommended tire pressures can help...but, this has it's practical limits as ride quality can suffer. On the uppermost limit, rolling resistance can actually increase as the tire skitters on the surface, which creates more resistance.

Originally Posted By: Titan

I agree - but many people use ignorant to mean unintelligent...

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Originally Posted By: Titan

I agree - but many people use ignorant to mean unintelligent...

Only those that are ignorant to the meaning of "ignorant", or, are careless in their useage of that word. B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back