Cleaning Solvent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember, years ago, at my dad's gas station we use to sell Cleaning Solvent. It was in sold from a drum and we also used it to clean parts and to clean floors. We also sold white gas and kerosene. The solvent was between those two in viscosity and flamability I think. Solvent didn't leave a coating like the kerosene but white gas would rinse the parts with even less film left.

I haven't seen cleaning solvent in years and wonder if they still sell it. Maybe it is called something different now. Where should I look to buy some.

I have seen the water based cleaning stuff for parts washers and that is not it.

I recently went looking for solvent also. Was told that the laws had changed and now you have to buy the water based stuff. Thats sort of sad because it doesn't work as well according to some people I talked with. Oh well, crowded earth, more rules. Hmmm.

Ken

Stoddard solvent ?

Used to be able to buy "dry cleaning" fluid/solvent in supermarkets.

As an aside, what's the cancer rate in dry cleaning workers ?

The dry cleaners here reeks.

I looked up stoddard solvent and it is the same as mineral spirits.

I suppose biodiesel would be a good cleaner and less toxic. Maybe a mineral spirits rise to get the bio diesel off if needed.

Seems like cleaning solvent can be many things and is pretty much off the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back