Help me decide...Remington 870 vs. Winchester 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to "stimulate" the economy by purchasing a home defense style shotgun with my rebate check. I don't want to spend more than 400 bucks. I have it narrowed down to an 18" Remington 870 express or a Winchester Defender 1300. Primary use of the weapon will be for home defense and because I just want one.

I know of the legendary reliability of the Remington, but what about the Defender? I can pick up a new Defender for around 250 bills.

My Dad has a 1300 and I have a 870. (Mine is a older (20+ years 2.3/4 and Dads is a 3inch 12 guage)

$150 bones difference?

Easy, Winchester...
grin2.gif

They both have the international depends moment sound for the bad guy. They both will stop whatever you point it at. Wife has mine next to her every day...

Mossburg is good one too.

Take care, Bill

I vote for the 870, receiver is machined from a steel billet, the 1300 receiver is aluminum and most of the internals on the 1300 are stamped parts. I bought my 870 express new for $229 on sale, plus the last time I looked the defender was going for close to the same price as the 870....

Used 870's in law enforcement. Nothing like that sound when you rack a round. Very popular and very reliable. Where did you find on with an 18" barrel?

My vote is also for the 870. But, Mossberg deserves a look to and it's opten on sale for less than the 870.

Thanks for the tips guys. Mossberg is definitely a great option as I hear the 500/590 is an excellent weapon.

As far as the 870, Remington says....

"From a solid steel block, to roller-bearing smooth. Every Model 870™ receiver is machined from a single block of solid steel for unmatched strength. just one of the many reasons it’s the most proven, popular and reliable shotgun action in the world."

Bill,

Really leaning now towards the 870 or Mossberg as there are tons of add-ons for both of these guns. I am the type who likes customizing things, so it'll be one of these two.

Thanks for the input!
thumbsup2.gif

I have a 20 yr or so old factory short barreled 3in 870. I use to use a regular 870 for occasional club trap and skeet and didn't feel the need anything fancier. The very good reputation, very low price and ability to do what I wanted with it made it a no brainer for me. The short barrel is handy, but I'd probably get a regular length 3 1/2 model next time as it is more useful for trap. skeet, hunting, etc.

I see new 3 1/2 in 870s on sale at different stores for $300 a couple of times a year, and the 3in would sometimes hit $250 but I don't see those anymore.

I will definitely do that.

For a quick background. I already have a very nice shotgun, a Browning BPS 26" that I absolutely love. Beautiful high gloss stock and the pump action is very smooth. Also the bottom ejection is nice. That gun is what I plan to Turkey hunt with for the first time when I go with my father in law.

This new shotgun is going to be something more for fun and to dress up real nice. The longest barrel I want to go is 20".

Just got back from the Scheels sporting goods store and looked at an 870 EXP synthetic with the 18" barrel. It was priced at 329.99, which didn't seem too bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

As far as the 870, Remington says....

"From a solid steel block, to roller-bearing smooth. Every Model 870™ receiver is machined from a single block of solid steel for unmatched strength. just one of the many reasons it’s the most proven, popular and reliable shotgun action in the world."

It's not going to be that smooth out of the box, but if you like tinkering/modifying it can easily be made that smooth..
thumbsup2.gif

I own a 1300 and I vote for the 870. I think the 870 is a nicer unit.
A gunsmith I used to visit explained the 1300 as "not built anywhere near as nice as the old model 12, on the other hand they seem to function reliably and I've never had one in for repair. They are certainly inexpensive"

Tom's gunsmith aquaintence may have just been an accident, as 1300's have allways had a reputation for ejector breakage. This is a stamped sheet steel spring mounted to inside wall of receiver. Go to a couple gunshows and you'll see used 870's selling for within dollars of new. 1300's are much lower at shows.

Something about Mossberg's fit will cause some shooters to notice more felt recoil. Other words,,,they kick the sheet out of ya! Then again, I may just be a wussy.

that "slicker'n snot on glass" feel will come to any 870 after a few thousand rounds.

Bob

Of the two you have mentioned, I would go with the 870 Remington. If you have money I would go with a Mossberg 590. Built far better than the two mentioned.

Well, I went with the 870 "EXP Synthetic" with the 18" barrel. I picked it up for 329 bucks. I am pretty excited about the pickup.

And while I was there I couldn't resist.

Bill in Utah you talked me into it...I picked up the S&W M&P .45! I get to pick it up Wednesday after the 48 hour cooling off period. Can't wait to see how it compares with my Glock .40 After reading a bunch of really positive reviews, the M&P really caught my attention. Plus, I have always wanted another 45 since selling my old Springfield 1911 long ago. I think I got a great deal too. 529 after the 50 dollar rebate and they send you two more 10 round clips.

I think I did my duty by really stimulating the economy with my rebate check.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
My vote would have to go with Rem 870. Used one for 12 years in police work, and would trust my life with it! A matter of fact I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back