Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Coolant for 68 plymouth 318
by mac9128
Yesterday at 09:47 PM
Newest Members
Janaya3, Weeeee, Jty, Gonzalo8575, gsniegow
50810 Registered Users
Who's Online
56 registered (beanoil, Andy636, bigjl, Alfa_Hadera, 57ChevyLS, 7 invisible), 1031 Guests and 230 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50810 Members
64 Forums
217082 Topics
3418009 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1134761 - 04/22/08 01:22 PM Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular.
Cooper Offline

Loc: O-H!
I have always been told not to use BP gas. I never really did any testing with it. I have test MPG's with Shell, Mobil, Marathon, Sunoco, but never BP. With the current gas prices, I decided to try BP gas for a little while, and started using it about 2 months ago, before the summer blends were out. I am getting 27 MPG compared to 23-34 avg. The reason I wanted to try BP is because they have the Chase BP credit card which gives me 10% back for 60 days, then 5% cash back. It is rewarded with BP gas cards, which is fine. It is the best gas card I have. I also have the Discover Gas card, but it only allows you to use 100 dollars a month, not worth it.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with BP gas, it runs nice and smooth, and the rebate I get helps a lot as well.

Any other good experiences with BP? Anyone not willing to use BP like I wasn't?

#1134790 - 04/22/08 01:56 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Cooper]
Titan Offline

Loc: Morgan, UT
I drive over 60,000 miles per year, and my fuel efficiency is more related to SPEED than anything else. If speed is constant, the next most important variable in my car is TERRAIN. If terrain is constant, the next most important variable is TEMPERATURE.

Brand of gas variabilities are in the range of noise in my vehicle.

#1134812 - 04/22/08 02:27 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Titan]
Cooper Offline

Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage, and the car runs good on the BP gas. It is saving me money, and that makes me happy.

#1134818 - 04/22/08 02:35 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Cooper]
MysticGold04 Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Cooper
I have always been told not to use BP gas. I never really did any testing with it. I have test MPG's with Shell, Mobil, Marathon, Sunoco, but never BP. With the current gas prices, I decided to try BP gas for a little while, and started using it about 2 months ago, before the summer blends were out. I am getting 27 MPG compared to 23-34 avg. The reason I wanted to try BP is because they have the Chase BP credit card which gives me 10% back for 60 days, then 5% cash back. It is rewarded with BP gas cards, which is fine. It is the best gas card I have. I also have the Discover Gas card, but it only allows you to use 100 dollars a month, not worth it.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with BP gas, it runs nice and smooth, and the rebate I get helps a lot as well.

In BP are you talking Arco or an actual BP station? I would assume they're the same. I almost always fill up at Costco now because of the prices here out West. I used Arco way back in the day. However some people I know claimed that Arco gas made their vehicles run like khrap, but I personally never experienced that.

#1134860 - 04/22/08 03:55 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: MysticGold04]
DmanWho Offline

Loc: Oregon
I believe the BP card is for BP stations only. The Arco stations will charge a fee for using that card, even though they're the same company.

#1134896 - 04/22/08 05:01 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: DmanWho]
stockrex Offline

Loc: Michigan
I can confirm better mpg with different gas I find costco and mobil gives best for me. nearly all hwy

#1135242 - 04/23/08 04:13 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Cooper]
SecondMonkey Offline

Loc: OR
Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage

Sorry, but you don't have enough information to make this statement. There is NO way you can attribute a few MPG gain to ANYTHING unless you have a multi million dollar laboratory to test it in. There are WAY too many variables outside of a lab to even say you had a gain, unless it was huge.

If I had $1000 to bet, in a controlled testing environment, your car will get the same mileage on every name brand of gas. You probably "feel" otherwise...but placebos are a powerful thing.

#1135336 - 04/23/08 08:15 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: SecondMonkey]
Titan Offline

Loc: Morgan, UT
As Steve Martin said, "I love placebos...they can make me feel anything I want."

#1135414 - 04/23/08 09:52 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: SecondMonkey]
Cooper Offline

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage

Sorry, but you don't have enough information to make this statement. There is NO way you can attribute a few MPG gain to ANYTHING unless you have a multi million dollar laboratory to test it in. There are WAY too many variables outside of a lab to even say you had a gain, unless it was huge.

If I had $1000 to bet, in a controlled testing environment, your car will get the same mileage on every name brand of gas. You probably "feel" otherwise...but placebos are a powerful thing.

Sorry, but your statement is [censored]! I know for sure that I drive the same route 95% of the time, and I am getting about 4 more mpgs.

#1135415 - 04/23/08 09:53 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: MysticGold04]
Cooper Offline

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04

In BP are you talking Arco or an actual BP station? I would assume they're the same. I almost always fill up at Costco now because of the prices here out West. I used Arco way back in the day. However some people I know claimed that Arco gas made their vehicles run like khrap, but I personally never experienced that.

No, we don't have ARCO in Ohio. I believe that they are only west coast. It is an actual BP station. They have a Toledo, OH refinery that covers all of Ohio gas wise.

#1135462 - 04/23/08 11:07 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Cooper]
glennc Offline

Loc: Colorado
The weather is warmer. That can make a difference of several mpg. Summer blends have probably come on-line recently and can have up to 1.7% greater energy density according to fueleconomy.gov IIRC. It is very unlikely that a difference between brands would be measurable unless one contains ethanol and one does not. Ethanol content will reduce economy slightly.

#1135742 - 04/23/08 06:05 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Cooper]
SecondMonkey Offline

Sorry, but your statement is [censored]! I know for sure that I drive the same route 95% of the time, and I am getting about 4 more mpgs.

Not at all. Is the temperature exactly the same every day? Do you use EXACTLY the same throttle amount every day? Is the humidity the same every day? Is traffic the same every day? Do you drive in the same lane every day? Does the road surface have the same water content every day? Do you check your tire pressure with a highly accurate meter and adjust every day? Is your engine running exactly the same temp every day?

Of course not. I could go on all day. All these variables can change your mileage, there are hundreds of them. You have no idea which one really had the effect. The same can be said about any additive or modification that gives someone a "gain" of <5mpg. It's just a guess.

#1135810 - 04/23/08 07:45 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: SecondMonkey]
SecondMonkey Offline

BTW - there is nothing magical about BP gas. All your local gas likely comes from the same tank/tanker/pipelines. The difference in brands is the additives - if BP had some magic sauce that gave you better mileage, the EPA would require all oil companies to use it.

#1136075 - 04/24/08 06:43 AM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: SecondMonkey]
Craig in Canada Offline

Loc: Toronto-ish, Canada
While I can't get BP here, I certainly know that I get different economy and performance characteristics from the different brands of gas in my neighbourhood even when observing for multiple fills. Right now Esso gives me the best power/performance *and* the highest fuel economy. Generally Shell V-Power gives me the worst of both, Sunoco lies somewhere in between (good performance, worse mileage I believe).

#1136237 - 04/24/08 12:21 PM Re: Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular. [Re: Craig in Canada]
robl Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I do get around 30 MPG, constantly with BP, and about 27 with Holiday and Marathon as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >