Replace only one strut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '03 Ford Escape V6 with 99,000 miles just came back from the collision center and they replaced only strut because it was damaged due to an accident. Should I also replace the other strut now?
During normal driving I do not feel any difference. Struts have never been replaced during the life of the car.

I think you replace them in pairs especially when it has that many miles, but I know Toyota dealers only replace the bad one if under warranty, If out of warranty you can bet they want to replace both.

With that many miles I'd consider replacing the other one so they match. Are you sure they replaced it with a new one? My Grand Prix was in a serious wreck once and they had to replace the entire front passenger side suspension (strut, lower control arm, etc) and they just pulled one off another junked car. It has been a few years now and with 83k miles on the car I've had no issues.

Most OEM struts are pretty worn by 100k. It can also be hard to gauge if they are truly worn out or not as well (until they are completely shot).

if you plan to keep it, Id replace it. Its poor practice, IMO, to have odd ages and wear patterns on mated pairs of items.

If you drive gently, and carefully, you can get far more than 100k out of a set of quality struts or shocks. However, if you want to keep the vehicle a while, I dont see why having everything on common ground would be a bad thing, besides lightening your wallet a bit.

Best,

JMH

Maybe they should have called you to give you the option to replace both. Since an alignment is required after replacement.

I guess their point of view is they are not a Firestone strut replacment center. Seems a waste of time to not do both at the same time. If it was my vehicle I would do both.

Agree with Quest and Mechtech2. Wreck/rebuild with under 30K, complete strut/spring assy from salvage might be ok (as long as both are then OE). But with your mileage, you should go ahead and replace other one. As long as you cah be sure of getting same brand and series as body shop used!!!

Bob

Originally Posted By: djmc
My '03 Ford Escape V6 with 99,000 miles just came back from the collision center and they replaced only strut because it was damaged due to an accident. Should I also replace the other strut now?

Take it back and make them do the other one as a proper repair. They should know better.

Actually if on the rear I believe it is fine. Have two cars now where only one rear strut has been replaced due to either corrosion or leaking but absolutely no affect on the handling of the car. (Both remaining struts over 100,000 miles on them). Now if on the front, not sure if it would make a difference, perhaps the mileage on the strut would, say under 20,000 or so fine, over 50,000 may notice a difference in handling.

I agree. When I bought a used vehicle once, two of the tires were really bad and the dealer replaced them and gave me the option of buying the other two, in effect splitting the difference for four new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back