Change oil every *10,000* miles in my 2001 Audi A6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new-to-me 2001 Audi A6 2.7T.

In reading the maintenance manual I was surprised to find the indication that you should change the oil every 10,000 miles.

While I am a big believer in doing what the manufacturer recommends, I am so used to getting the oil changed every 3000 miles that I'd like some reassurance that 10K is cool. What is it about the Audi that makes them say we can wait 10,000 miles for oil changes?

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

Pretty much every modern car specifies at least a 5000 mile oil change, with most at 7500miles if not more.

The 10,000 mile recommendation from Audi is reflective of advances in lubricant quality, and given the design of the engine, only synthetic oil should be used due to its turbocharger.

I would personally recommend Mobil1 0W40, Mobil1 5W40 Truck and SUV, Delvac-1 5W40, or Esso XD-3 0W40 for that engine.

"Reassurance" is running the oil for the 10k interval and then sending in for a used oil analysis. Since the car is "new-to-you", and if the maintenance history is unknown, you might want to look into doing an Auto-RX flush, albeit, non-synthetic oil should never touch the crankcase of your engine because of its turbocharger.

Thank you, Pitzel for the insights.

Forgive the naive question, but where should I send the oil for the used oil analysis?

5,000 mile OCIs on one of the good conventional oils might well be your most economical alternative. The new GF4 rated oils look like they are going to be an excellent value.

At 10,000 miles with a turbo I would absolutely use a synthetic like those recommended.

Using oil analysis to fine tune your use makes sense, but remember that your winter and summer driving conditions are very different from one another.

John

Make sure you use an Audi Approved longlife oil as this is imperative. Your handbook will give a code like VW 503.01 or VW 503.00 which you should follow.

Here's a list:

Volkswagen Group Oil Specifications and their Applications

VW 500.00
This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)
Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40
This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01
This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as
VW 500.00.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00
This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00
This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01
A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00
For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)
Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01
For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00
For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01
For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

If you can get hold of Fuchs Oils over there then they are a good bet as not only are they VW Approved but Fuchs do 15,000,000 litres per annum of factory fill for VAG and work in partnership developing oils for them.

Well, OK they are German afterall!

Cheers
Simon

SL,

I have a 2004 2.7T and I cannot bring myself to 10K changes which the dealer pays for. It gets SLX 0W30 every 5K and I pay for the change in between. Hope you love yours as much as WE do ours (well, it actually belongs to the beautiful lady who sits across the dinner table from me...and don't any of you forget it)!
grin.gif

welcome.gif
What part of PA are you from?
I have an Audi S4, same 2.7tt engine as you. I've gone as far as 8,000 and UOA's indicated still fit for extended use. I'm also chipped and have over 141k on it now. Stick with M10W40, German Castrol 0W30, or Amsoil 0W30 and you'll be fine to 10k. Oh, and stick with the oem oil filters(Mann).
BTW, did you get the tip or the 6 speed?

I would also like to through in the Amsoil 5w40 European oil. It's specifically formulated for european cars and extended drains.

I would also short your drain considerably for the next 2 changes then extended it out a little at a time.

-

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil is specially formulated for the lubrication needs of European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Formulated with advanced AMSOIL polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks, premium additives and a broad 5W-40 viscosity rating. AMSOIL 5W-40 allows motorists to take advantage of the maximum extended drain intervals recommended by European automakers while providing second-to-none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

my father's toyota previa had its first 150k on dino at 7500 mi OCIs. since then weve been running 10k+ on syn with extremely low wear rates.

toyotas may wear much slower than a turboed german engine, but 10k should be no issue with a synthetic oil meeting the proper specs.

My saab goes 15k between changes per the oil life monitor, no biggie.

go for it!

JMH

Does it specify more frequent changes for driving in "severe" conditions? Seems there is always a catch.

I would run of the Audi oils specified and have the oil analysed at 7.5k and if ok at 10k. If you are really unsure maybe start at 5k with the analysis.

Of course talk to Terry about all of this. He is the expert here.

I would do a few short ocis first, maybe 5000 each. I pump my own oil out and re-use the filter once and keep the oil interval kinda short at 7500 miles. That should work for you and be cost-effective.

As far as oils go:
German Syntec 0w-30
Mobil 1 0w-40
Mobil 1 5w-40
Syntec 5w-50.

offtopic.gif

quote:

(well, it actually belongs to the beautiful lady who sits across the dinner table from me...and don't any of you forget it)!

Better not let your wife find out about this pscholte
grin.gif

Sorry, it's early...

I'm not crazy about some of these long change intervals either. In my wife's case the 10K would be almost one year with a lot of short trips (she works about 2 miles from the house).

I would cut the 10K interval to 5K and still use an oil that is specified for this vehicle.

I still say that oil is cheap and these motors are not.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
offtopic.gif

quote:

(well, it actually belongs to the beautiful lady who sits across the dinner table from me...and don't any of you forget it)!

Better not let your wife find out about this pscholte
grin.gif

Sorry, it's early...

I KNEW IT...I KNEW IT...I KNEW IT...I thought about how to word my comment to "stay out of trouble," but you, Matt89, got me anyway...well, bless your heart!
wink.gif

I also have a 2001.5 S4.

When I purchased the car, the thought of 10,000 mile OCI's with a twin turbo car turned my stomach. The fact that the dealer used Dino oil also didn't help.

I use Mobil 1 0-40, change it every 5000 miles and bring my own oil in for the required free service every 10,000 miles. I also ask for the empty bottles back.

Some long term Audis are showing sludge problems with these long OCI's.

Overkill maybe, but this fine engine deserves it and peace of mind goes a long way when I push the throttle to the floor!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by SlumLord:
Forgive the naive question, but where should I send the oil for the used oil analysis?

It's not a naive question, SlumLord...it's not something most people think about or even KNOW about...

Blackstone Laboratories...they'll even send you a free collection kit. Since you aren't the original owner, you may want to spring for the Terry Dyson analysis option the first time, just to get a good baseline reading of the motor's overall condition, especially if you're planning on doing extended OCIs...

I have the same car as you do, bought it brand new. The dealer did the first oil change at 4k/6mos with my own M1 0w-30, then afterwards, I went by the oil monitor indicator. Ususlly it will tell me to change oil at around 8k. I took it to the dealer for the free oil changes, let it run for 1500-3000 miles, then I will change it to M1 or AMSOil myself with the old filter but I drain it by pushing the ADBV. The latest UOA with M1 0W-40 is listed below (8/03-7/04, 32k on the engine, 9k on oil); the first is test value, the second is the universal average at 6.5k.
Al 4/3
Cr 1/1
Fe 30/15
Cu 6/7
Pb 1/1
Sn 0/0
Mo 56/37
Ni 0/0
Mn 0/0
Ag 0/0
Ti 0/0
K 0/0
B 86/68
Si 5/10
Na 5/15
Ca 2756/2272
Mg 28/425
P 784/829
Zn 964/1012
Ba 0/0

TBN 2.8

Can anyone make a comment about the result?

Thanks to everyone for their input. Smokin captured my feeling best, that the 10,000 OCI made me squeamish.

To answer an earlier question, my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T is a 6 speed manual. It was very hard to find in black (and be eligble for Audi's yearend 0.0% APR on 2001 A6s).

I run either GC or M1 0w40 with a 10K OCI & OEM filter in my allroad 2.7t. It's worked well for me with 40K on the clock.

I, too, was concerned about the 10K OCI, but after alot of research on this forum, performing a UOA, and running 10K OCIs, I'm convinced that with the large-sump 2.7t there is no problem going with a 10K OCI when using a quailty long-life-rated oil such as Mobil1 0w40 or GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back