differential fluid change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TC, while I have you here, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have that 95 Nissan pickup with a 5-speed and I want to change out the rear diff fluid and clutch fluid. I have no owner's manual with it. From what I have pieced together BOTH the clutch and the diff can use 75w-90. Does this sound right? I mean are there vehicles that use 75w-90 or 80w-90 or both clutch and diff? Just didn't sound right, but wanted to check with someone in the know like yourself.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
TC, while I have you here, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have that 95 Nissan pickup with a 5-speed and I want to change out the rear diff fluid and clutch fluid. I have no owner's manual with it. From what I have pieced together BOTH the clutch and the diff can use 75w-90. Does this sound right? I mean are there vehicles that use 75w-90 or 80w-90 or both clutch and diff? Just didn't sound right, but wanted to check with someone in the know like yourself.

75W90 synthetic should be fine for the rear differential. They may have recommended something different back in those days but with the quality of today's lubricant, I'd feel comfortable using any over-the-counter 75W90 synthetic in there.

As for the clutch, that takes brake fluid from what I can tell (according to the Amsoil app guide). From the limited automotive clutches that I've seen, all of them take brake fluid. I've never seen one that takes differential lube.

Thanks for the tip TC. Appreciate it!
thumbsup2.gif

Gonna tackle changing those fluids out today!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I have a friend with a 5.0 Mustang with 180K miles and it still has the factory filled differential fluid.

Note to self: Do not buy Mustang from LT4's friend.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Wow 100 bucks an hour! And I was complaining that my ATV dealership charges 67/hour flat rate.

100/hr is considered cheap. A lot of dealers in the South Bay are up to 150/hr for diagnostic and 130+/hr for maintenance.

that would make me want to go to a community college part time and learn how to work on my own vehicle.. its cheaper for the education than the work done on the vehicle.. 150 is f'ing insane!! around here the most i have ever heard was 95 or so.. most of the time its 70-80 an hour if that... gosh i love NC

I'm glad I do my own maintenance. I must have saved thousands of dollars the past eleven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back