Rhythmic squeak/tick from front wheel when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1992 Accord DX (5-speed) just started having this problem:

It started as a rhythmic tick proportional to wheel speed. Clearly coming from the left front wheel. Sounded just like a rock in the tire, but it didn't go away as quickly as I would expect. Eventually it did go away and I figured it was just a rock which had wiggled its way out. But after parking for a bit and then driving off again the noise was back.

More recently it has gotten louder.. almost a squeak for each revolution of the wheel. Wheel bearing was one possibility, but it doesn't have the loud "growl" that my wife's Golf had at highway speeds, louder when turning. Instead it is just this squeak/tick that goes away after a few miles (although, most lately, it has just gotten quieter and remains).

I took the wheel off today to take a look at it. First, I jacked it up and spun the wheel - it confirmed a metal-on-metal squeak sound once per revolution. Then I took the wheel off and noted that the sound is almost exactly the same as produced when you plink the splash guard on the inboard side of the brake disc. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the center of the hub.. it sounds like it is coming from the back of the brake disc.

There was no side to side play in the wheel, as my research indicated might be seen with a bad wheel bearing.

The noise doesn't stop or change under braking. AFAICT it doesn't change significantly when turning - perhaps a tiny bit louder but this may be due to the fact that the turned wheel allows more sound out, etc.

Any insight? Unfortunately, Google for "squeaky wheel" only tells me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease :)

Are the brake pad squealers contacting the rotors? If the the wheel is open enough, you can check that without removing the wheels.

This is just an anecdote: A friend had a fairly new (under 20k) 2001 Accord that started making a noise (sounded exactly like a ball inside the cv joint rattling) from the left front. I moved the tires around, but it made no difference. Since it was under warranty we took it in. Dealer fixed it and said it was 'corrosion,' which I felt was, um, inaccurate...

The pads looked to have plenty of life on them when I had the wheel off, but I didn't look in detail at the backside.

Tosh, interesting. Based on the lack of play in the wheel I'm not as concerned as I was. But now that window open season is here, it is getting annoying :)

Other pertinent information: The left CV joint (half-axle, actually) was recently replaced, although the noise certainly didn't start until several weeks afterwards and I don't think they're related.

Originally Posted By: spinfire

Other pertinent information: The left CV joint (half-axle, actually) was recently replaced, although the noise certainly didn't start until several weeks afterwards and I don't think they're related.

It is probably related to the Cv as they tick or crack when going bad. That is a warning sign especially when cornering the thrust force from the wheel turning causes them to flex if there is too much play in the bearing assembly. Take it back if it was new you should have a warranty on the part if it's a re-man it may have been out of spec or lacking enough lubricant.

Update:

For what it is worth, the noise happened this morning while leaving the parking lot but has been completely gone since. I'll post if it returns or I figure it out.

PT1, I'm pretty sure the sound when I rotated the wheel manually was *not* coming from the CV joint area.

Maybe the backing plate got bent or rusted into the rotor.
The pad sensor may be making contact with a slightly imperfect rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back