1/2 ton 5.3 or 3/4 ton duramax or F150 5.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I should soon be purchasing a new to me (used vehicle). I have just recently test driven a Chevy 1500, a 2500 Duramax, and a Ford F150. The F150 felt like a dog and in both that I test drove the A/C did not work. All the Chevy's that I test drove the A/C would freeze us out. Not sure if thats a issue but none the less I like driving the Chevy better. I am talking here about 2003 and up Chevy's and 2005 up Ford F150. The drivetrain on the Chevy just felt better. The Ford did feel more rigid and the steering was better. I do not mean this to turn into a Ford vs Chevy war. I am not partial to any brand. I just want the best truck for the money. I am looking to spend around $17 to $19k. I want the truck to do some light duty off road duty and possibly a lot of traveling. (Do to my job). I could be doing some light towing every now and then. So my real question is Should I lean toward the diesel (which I really really want) even though for the money I am looking to spend the vehicle will have around 100k miles on it or should I lean toward the 1/2 tons and get one with less miles? Thanks again for your time and Im sorry it was long but I wanted to put my opinion of what I test drove and to see if that is common? TIA

Chevrolet all the way!!!!! ,, get the 5.3 gasser unless your
going to tow allot,,diesel fuel is crazy money right now,i'd
be avoiding any diesel truck..

I would go with chevy 5.3. The ford would have been in the second model year there would be some bugs not figured out yet. But how much towing and how many pounds would you tow?

mcrn:

Go with the 5.3L Chevy. Keyword you used twice was "Light".

I have the 5.3L & I tow a 3,000 Lb. boat A LOT. 125k on mine & she's super tight & strong!! It rides great.

You also said traveling. The 1/2 ton rides great - the 3/4 ton rides harder.

The Ford 5.4L is a dog for sure. My neighbor & others really complain...

Make the right choice!
thumbsup2.gif

When I said I would tow light, I am not sure about the weight but I am only talking about a Uhaul trailer with my stuff in it. Which I will be minimizing a lot. But it is minimal of just the stuff I would need. Thanks for the advice. Please keep them coming. I was very disappointed in the 5.4. I was shocked that the 5.3 felt that much stronger. The Chevy tranny also felt crisper and more responsive.

Even though I work at a GM dealer, I can tell you both trucks have their good and bad points.

From what customers tell me, the 5.4 uses more fuel than the 5.3.
The Ford will tow/haul more in the half ton truck. The Chevy will probably have a knocking intermediate steering shaft at one time or another if it hasn't been replaced since Feb '06 when the new design shaft came out.

The Ford may have an exhaust moan or vibration at highway speeds that is almost impossible to get rid of.

All in all, it probably depends on how the truck was treated before you got it. The duramax is a fine engine, but can be pricey to repair. Same for the Ford diesel. Expect about 25% better fuel mileage from the Duramax. I'm not sure about the Ford.

My 2 wheel drive, 2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab with the 5.3 and a 3.42 posi will get 21 mpg on the highway.

Yep, I'm happy with that.

The intermediate steering shaft is such a trivial issue, it is barely worth mentioning. One trip to the dealer takes care of it. Not sure why that is such a big deal.

My best friend has a 2004 F-150 Extended cab 4x4 with the 5.4.
Compared to mine, it is a dog. I wouldn't trade him, even with his being a 4x4. And the visibility out the rear window really sucks.
However, in this area, you can buy a F-150 a little cheaper. But you get what you pay for.

Personaly I would get the Ford the chevy just wont handle the abuse the Ford will and the Chevys had ALOT of probs with that tranny plus the Ford is alot nicer inside as well. IDK about the 07+ Chevys but the gen you are talking about did not impress me at all everyone that I know with one has had nothing but problems.

The F150 requires on-the-vehicle brake rotor surfacing whereas the Chevy doesn't. Although it's recommended for both cars, on-the-vehicle is the only way you can do it on the Ford. Something to keep in mind.

I've been looking for a work truck lately. I commute 90 miles a day and drive through the oil fields several times a week. I'm leaning toward a V6 Tacoma for the mileage.

If it were between Chevy and Ford, from my own experience, Chevy all the way.

One co-worker has a 2002ish Silverado with the 5.3L. Just turned 307,000 miles on the original engine and trans. Powersteering and water pumps are original too. It's been through one axle and 4 fuel pumps but not bad considering the mileage.

The other one has 260,000 miles on the original motor, trans rebuilt 60,000 miles ago.

Those trucks see oil field roads every day, and while the interiors aren't as tight as new, they're not complete rattle traps either. A couple guys with Fords have had transmission problems albeit at 100,000 miles.

The Tacoma is a great truck but if you're buying the V-6 for mileage, you're in for a tremendous letdown.

Most any review or customer I've spoken with grits their teeth and says 17ish tops highway.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
The Tacoma is a great truck but if you're buying the V-6 for mileage, you're in for a tremendous letdown.

Most any review or customer I've spoken with grits their teeth and says 17ish tops highway.

No kidding? I've just started my search for a truck. I ASSumed a lighter truck with a 4.0 V6 would have to get somewhat better mileage but I haven't looked at mileage figures.

I would definitely get the 5.3 Chevy. I think the Ford is a nice looking and driving truck as well but the Chevy will likely get better fuel economy. Try to get a 2wd with 3.42 rear end for maximum fuel economy. Later model years had a 3.23 as well which would be even better. It doesn't sound like you'll be towing enough to warrant a diesel. Everything about a diesel costs more from initial purchase price to oil changes. A 5.3L Chevy will get about the same mileage as a Duramax due to being a lighter truck and being designed for fuel efficiency. If you regularly towed heavier loads the Duramax would definitely be worth it however. A 1/2 ton is plenty of truck to tow anything you can/should fit in a Uhaul trailer. 1/2 tons ride much nicer as well.

Well if you are not towing then the diesel is a waste. The 5.4 engine doesnt really compare to the 5.3. The 4.6 compares better to the 5.3 hauling wise. If you are not going to max out the payload/towing capacity i would get the chevy.

Last edited:
The only 5.4 Ford I've been in was a work truck with a standard pickup bed and 4 wheel drive. That thing couldn't get out of it's own way. The 5.3 would run rings around it. I honestly thought it was a 4.6 and couldn't believe my eyes when I popped the hood.

I have a new body style 2004 F-150 with a 4.6l. If you are going to mostly drive it empty but occasionally haul and do light towing then it will absolutely handle your needs. It is by far the most comfortable truck I have ever driven/ridden in. it has required zero maintenance. I don't act like my truck is a hotrod so 230 hp is plenty.

side note:
It's kind of funny that 10 years ago 230hp was the big engine option, now it's consider small and slow. 15 years ago the 5.7 chevy was 210hp as the big engine option. now anything under 300hp is wimpy.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
side note:
It's kind of funny that 10 years ago 230hp was the big engine option, now it's consider small and slow. 15 years ago the 5.7 chevy was 210hp as the big engine option. now anything under 300hp is wimpy.

Yep. I'm spoiled... just like most other people.

300hp and 21 mpg. Spoiled rotten...

Lets see my truck has tbi 5 liters that puts out a huge 170 hp and gets 18 mpg. On the upside it makes anything else I drive seem really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back