Better Gas Mileage With BP Regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been told not to use BP gas. I never really did any testing with it. I have test MPG's with Shell, Mobil, Marathon, Sunoco, but never BP. With the current gas prices, I decided to try BP gas for a little while, and started using it about 2 months ago, before the summer blends were out. I am getting 27 MPG compared to 23-34 avg. The reason I wanted to try BP is because they have the Chase BP credit card which gives me 10% back for 60 days, then 5% cash back. It is rewarded with BP gas cards, which is fine. It is the best gas card I have. I also have the Discover Gas card, but it only allows you to use 100 dollars a month, not worth it.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with BP gas, it runs nice and smooth, and the rebate I get helps a lot as well.

Any other good experiences with BP? Anyone not willing to use BP like I wasn't?

I drive over 60,000 miles per year, and my fuel efficiency is more related to SPEED than anything else. If speed is constant, the next most important variable in my car is TERRAIN. If terrain is constant, the next most important variable is TEMPERATURE.

Brand of gas variabilities are in the range of noise in my vehicle.

Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage, and the car runs good on the BP gas. It is saving me money, and that makes me happy.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I have always been told not to use BP gas. I never really did any testing with it. I have test MPG's with Shell, Mobil, Marathon, Sunoco, but never BP. With the current gas prices, I decided to try BP gas for a little while, and started using it about 2 months ago, before the summer blends were out. I am getting 27 MPG compared to 23-34 avg. The reason I wanted to try BP is because they have the Chase BP credit card which gives me 10% back for 60 days, then 5% cash back. It is rewarded with BP gas cards, which is fine. It is the best gas card I have. I also have the Discover Gas card, but it only allows you to use 100 dollars a month, not worth it.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with BP gas, it runs nice and smooth, and the rebate I get helps a lot as well.

In BP are you talking Arco or an actual BP station? I would assume they're the same. I almost always fill up at Costco now because of the prices here out West. I used Arco way back in the day. However some people I know claimed that Arco gas made their vehicles run like khrap, but I personally never experienced that.

I believe the BP card is for BP stations only. The Arco stations will charge a fee for using that card, even though they're the same company.
21.gif

Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage

Sorry, but you don't have enough information to make this statement. There is NO way you can attribute a few MPG gain to ANYTHING unless you have a multi million dollar laboratory to test it in. There are WAY too many variables outside of a lab to even say you had a gain, unless it was huge.

If I had $1000 to bet, in a controlled testing environment, your car will get the same mileage on every name brand of gas. You probably "feel" otherwise...but placebos are a powerful thing.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Well, there could be other variables involved that is helping my gas mileage. I have not done a detailed test on this. Either way, I am getting better mileage

Sorry, but you don't have enough information to make this statement. There is NO way you can attribute a few MPG gain to ANYTHING unless you have a multi million dollar laboratory to test it in. There are WAY too many variables outside of a lab to even say you had a gain, unless it was huge.

If I had $1000 to bet, in a controlled testing environment, your car will get the same mileage on every name brand of gas. You probably "feel" otherwise...but placebos are a powerful thing.

Sorry, but your statement is [censored]! I know for sure that I drive the same route 95% of the time, and I am getting about 4 more mpgs.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04

In BP are you talking Arco or an actual BP station? I would assume they're the same. I almost always fill up at Costco now because of the prices here out West. I used Arco way back in the day. However some people I know claimed that Arco gas made their vehicles run like khrap, but I personally never experienced that.

No, we don't have ARCO in Ohio. I believe that they are only west coast. It is an actual BP station. They have a Toledo, OH refinery that covers all of Ohio gas wise.

The weather is warmer. That can make a difference of several mpg. Summer blends have probably come on-line recently and can have up to 1.7% greater energy density according to fueleconomy.gov IIRC. It is very unlikely that a difference between brands would be measurable unless one contains ethanol and one does not. Ethanol content will reduce economy slightly.

Sorry, but your statement is [censored]! I know for sure that I drive the same route 95% of the time, and I am getting about 4 more mpgs.

Not at all. Is the temperature exactly the same every day? Do you use EXACTLY the same throttle amount every day? Is the humidity the same every day? Is traffic the same every day? Do you drive in the same lane every day? Does the road surface have the same water content every day? Do you check your tire pressure with a highly accurate meter and adjust every day? Is your engine running exactly the same temp every day?

Of course not. I could go on all day. All these variables can change your mileage, there are hundreds of them. You have no idea which one really had the effect. The same can be said about any additive or modification that gives someone a "gain" of <5mpg. It's just a guess.

BTW - there is nothing magical about BP gas. All your local gas likely comes from the same tank/tanker/pipelines. The difference in brands is the additives - if BP had some magic sauce that gave you better mileage, the EPA would require all oil companies to use it.

While I can't get BP here, I certainly know that I get different economy and performance characteristics from the different brands of gas in my neighbourhood even when observing for multiple fills. Right now Esso gives me the best power/performance *and* the highest fuel economy. Generally Shell V-Power gives me the worst of both, Sunoco lies somewhere in between (good performance, worse mileage I believe).

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

Not at all. Is the temperature exactly the same every day? Do you use EXACTLY the same throttle amount every day? Is the humidity the same every day? Is traffic the same every day? Do you drive in the same lane every day? Does the road surface have the same water content every day? Do you check your tire pressure with a highly accurate meter and adjust every day? Is your engine running exactly the same temp every day?

Of course not. I could go on all day. All these variables can change your mileage, there are hundreds of them. You have no idea which one really had the effect. The same can be said about any additive or modification that gives someone a "gain" of div>

Wow!!! You can go on like this all day? What is wrong with you?

What is wrong with you?

I'm not the one who thinks driving around randomly is as accurate as a controlled dyno test.
smirk2.gif

- see sig.

I drive 60,000 + miles per year in one car, almost all highway, at relatively the same speeds, and I track every tankful. I've been surprised NOT to notice a statistically significant difference attributable to 10% Ethanol. I know the science says it should give slightly less economy, but, there is not enough difference to be statistically significant. The variables that are statistically significant in my car: SPEED and TEMPERATURE.

The higher the speed and lower the temperature, the worse for economy.

Generally speaking I use Arco/BP gas all the time and have good results from it for a long time. Compared to all the others I can't tell the difference. Too me it's good quality gasoline.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back