What grease for mower spindles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone use? I have been using Mystic JT-6 for several years, just wondering if there is any other "off the shelf" grease that would be better, like Green grease etc...?

Last edited:
What, nobody grease's their blade spindles?
21.gif

Well, I happen to use Valvoline Multi-Purpose grease, which is an NLGI #2 grade lithium complex grease. It is red in color. But I don't think it matters much what you use as long as you grease periodically. I do it about every 25 hours.

Hmmmm... are we talking wheel spindles or mower blade spindles here??

if it's blade spindles you may want to use somthing else then
238 in there, i thought were talking front wheel spindle??

Originally Posted By: daman
Hmmmm... are we talking wheel spindles or mower blade spindles here??

if it's blade spindles you may want to use somthing else then
238 in there, i thought were talking front wheel spindle??

I'm talking about the blade spindles..Anyone use Green Grease?

I have been using mobile one grease. Says its for ball joints ect so I figured it was ok. I only do it once each year and so far so good.

Funny you should ask about mower spindles.

Many years ago, Dad had a International Cub Low-Boy tractor ... 1967 (I believe) with a 4-cylinder gas ... driving a deck with 3 blades. I used a generic (Zep?) #2 grease ... but it wouldn't stay in the worn bearings. Wow, what a racket they made! I forget exactly what it would do, but I knew I needed a heavier grease for the old beast. My Dad had a special grease for his Model A Ford water pump ... had the consistency of jellied cranberry sauce ... but even thicker. I tried it in the International.

After I engaged the deck, the blades sounded like a helicopter spooling up for take-off. Veerrryyy slow at first, but then they finally picked up speed and the mower worked fine. It was still pretty funny at the time.

I'd still try the Schaeffer 238 in a blade spindle application. It's not nearly as thick as that water pump grease ... just a tick thicker (and tackier) than standard #2.

Never actually greased my blade spindles. Sorry for OT, but how to you put grease in? I don't see any grease ports. Do you have to remove some parts to get to it? They seem hard to reach.

Most are sealed units and cannot be serviced,but...some models
you can,allot of the older units you can newer models all seemed
sealed..

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
Never actually greased my blade spindles. Sorry for OT, but how to you put grease in? I don't see any grease ports. Do you have to remove some parts to get to it? They seem hard to reach.

On my John Deere 345 the grease zerks are located on top of the deck in the middle of each spindle, on my Snapper however, the zerks are under the deck just above the blade in the side of the spindle shaft.

A lot of the newer mowers have sealed bearing units ... that I don't like.

Dad's Honda tractor (the deck) gets really noisy after mowing for 30 minutes or more. I suspect the factory grease has broke down and thinned out ... but you can't add grease so you're sorta stuck until a spindle seizes.

You can sometimes find a good place to drill a hole and fit a grease zerk to the bearing house. If you really are serious about greasing this stuff.´!

At the very least it is something to keep in mind when buying the next machine. On my current Scotts (relabeled JD) I don't have easy access to them.

thanks

I have a 1983 Wheelhorse C-145 Spindles on the 42" deck have grease zerks on the top.. I use Lucas Red N Tacky on them. So far so good. THey were bone dry when I bought this thing 6 years ago.

Anyone Else using LUCAS Red N Tacky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back